Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 92 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

WA1RKT Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2012 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Works fine w/outside sense ant  Time owned: more than 12 months
In general I don't much care for MFJ, mostly workmanship issues, but I do try to give credit where credit is due.

Right now I'm listening to 20 meters on my TS-950SDX and getting an S7 to S8 noise level. Kick in the MFJ-1026 and the noise level goes down below S1 and everything I'm trying to hear comes right out of the noise. Usually it doesn't work quite that well... I get noise reductions of from two to five S units... but today it is really working well. No doubt that's because today all the noise is coming from one direction... if you get a lot of noise coming from many different directions, the MFJ-1026 won't work as well and sometimes won't work at all.

I do use an outside noise antenna, a random-length wire that's somewhere between 50 and 70 feet long. One end is at 15 feet and the other end is at about 40 feet. I have never been able to get the telescoping whip noise antenna to do anything worthwhile.

Main antenna is a triband beam at 50 feet.

So, MFJ, you still have major, big-league workmanship issues, but in this case you got it right.

KD2AXZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2012 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Mixed results but not a fault of the product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to try to block plasma TV noise and also hopefully background noise. I have S9+ level background noise in my urban apartment. The MFJ-1026 is a basic phase flipping signal canceling device.

I think you are going to need to have a good antenna for the noise sensing AND the main antenna. I thought that since the plasma TV noise blankets everything on all the $@$# bands the supplied whip would pick it up. Nope, the whip is useless. I use my indoor magloop to pick up the noise and a buddistick as the main antenna. I think an ideal situation for space would be to use a WonderWhip or whatever those things are called for the sense antenna, but that's another $100.

It will take you a while to get this thing tweaked into being useful, and sometimes it won't even totally cancel the noise out for you. However when it works, I do literally pull signals in/out of the air by twiddling the phase knob. Once you block out some of the worst noise then your radio AGCs and you can hear again.

Whether that's worth $200 is up to you.

WD8DKB Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2012 11:03 Send this review to a friend
Could not make it work for me .  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned one of these too. I tried several receive antennas with little luck. But that was years ago. I think now, that I should have tried a bit harder and not been so impatient. To KB3TZ--I worked for a power co. for 42 years. Anytime a complaint about line noise was received, our crews would check it out. It took a while, but eventually they learned that something was wrong and it would pay to check it out thoroughly. It could save having to respond to an outage in the middle of the night. 90% of the time, it was loose hardware or a cracked insulator or just a loose connection. It definitely saved the company money when taken seriously. If you can help them to zero in on the pole itself, it would go a long way to resolve this problem. Each pole has a tag number, include this in your complaint. You can also hit the pole gently with a sledge hammer to see if it causes any change in the noise while you listen on a portable radio. Just don't tell them I suggested that one. Also, try not to make any threats on your 1st call. You might be surprised how they respond. Hope this helps. max@glwb.net

KB3Z Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Idea But Limited!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these and thought I could eliminate the noise that was being generated from the power pole across the street. The only problem is that my Hexbeam is at the side of the house and is up 55 feet. Every other antenna I have is in the back yard. I cannot install an antenna that would receive the interference at the same level that my Hexbeam would in the front yard! And to install a receiving antenna it would have to be at least 20 to 30 feet from my hexbeam. The idea is logical, but someone needs to develop a device that you can hook either at the antenna itself or before it gets to the receiver and not needing a receiving antenna to null the interference! I realize that getting results from the power company can be a challenge but with the Public Utilites Commission and the FCC ready to help I would try that first!

AF7S Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Be patient, understand the principle and you'll have success  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The key to using this unit, as I see it, is to understand that you want the noise you're trying to eliminate to be the same on both the main channel and the auxiliary channel. Both antennas should hear the target noise in the same way at the same strength.

Then, you can use the phasing control to null it out. The Preamp and the adjustment pots can do some equalizing, but if they're not hearing essentially the same noise, your success will be limited.

I have one antenna at about 60 feet, with one end fairly near a power line, the source of some of my noise. My aux antenna is at about 20 feet, and behind the house, somewhat shielded from the source of my noise, so I"m going to move the aux antenna much closer to the main.

Also, I'm using an OCF dipole for my main, which resonates on most bands. My aux is a 40 meter dipole which doesn't. On some bands, I have to turn the Aux up full, and the main only to 1 or 2, which seems to cut down on my overall signal level. In this case the antennas are too mismatched to do the job correctly.

Once you get the hang of using the unit, however, it's fairly easy. Noise characteristics and level should be the same on both antennas, adjusted with the control to give you the same s-meter reading. Once you've done that, play with the phasing control and the normal inverted switch until you find the null. THe null can be somewhat subtle, but with a little playing you can deepen it quite a bit.

With my TS-570, I find it's more effective on SSB than on CW, where the internal noise filters do a pretty good job. But I"m still very glad I have this and as I use it more, I think I"ll appreciate it's capabilities all the much more.

W6UDO Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Device  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my previous review of of the MFJ-1025 in 10/2010, I purchased a MFJ-1026 on eBay. Once again, very pleased with it, even with the indoor telescoping antenna. I'm still plagued with power line noise from SDG&E and this device nulls it out real well, sometimes in conjunction with the Noise Attenuator on my IC-718.
I'm still using the external T/R switch and this model actually seems more forgiving when I forget to switch it out right away...well, that, and I can hear the relay clicking much better than on the 1025 and it "jars me awake."
For those who've had problems tuning it, I found the tutorials posted here real helpful.
Very 73...

BXLISTENER Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2012 04:47 Send this review to a friend
It helps!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not much to add as most of the other reviewers have covered the main points. I am afflicted by my neighbours plasma tv and other noisey gadgets. You have to take the time to learn how to use this unit and the built in aerial isn't much use to me but once I put up an indoor auxiliary aerial it worked wonders. This unit is expensive but I can now continue to enjoy my favourite hobby so it was money well spent. THANK YOU MFJ!

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
At my QTH 40 meters has become unusable in the last year or so. Daily I see 10 over S9 noise up and down the band. As a "last resort" I bought one of these units, after reading the reviews here, including the ones that are essentially tutorials. I cut a 33 ft wire and feed it through a tuner into the aux antenna. It works. As others have pointed out it won't get rid of multiple noise sources but it kills the one that was causing the most trouble. I now regularly can copy stations that were actually unreadable before and I can finally work 40 meters. Now I wouldn't and can't be without it. Fortunately I run QRP so the overloading the unit isn't an issue. And I have found that setting the relay down to 0 allows QSK for me. It does what MFJ said it would and I am satisfied with it.

WB0MCO Rating: 3/5 Nov 21, 2011 10:05 Send this review to a friend
MFJ= Poor Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After promising myself I would never buy MFJ again because of quality issues I went and did it again. The intermitted power line noise drove me to it. Call after call to the power company (Alliant Energy)with no results just promises.
The unit worked right out of the box and does a great job of eliminating my noise problems.
The 3 rating is for the poor cabinet,the top lid
looked like it was hacked out with a dull blade.
The sharp edges had to be sanded and repainted.
I'am also waiting for the sense antenna that was
missing for the package...Same old MFJ

AE6ZW Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2011 13:34 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-1025 work OK.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in crowded city and close by apartments and houses, it does reduce the noise of some, but not all. I think my problem is because noise source is from everywhere, and every directions. but, I can select one of the most offending noise, and null it out, one at the time , but not all at once. which makes sense, since it eliminate noise with adding opposite phase from AUX ANT. I made some changes and took pictures as below link.