Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
At my QTH 40 meters has become unusable in the last year or so. Daily I see 10 over S9 noise up and down the band. As a "last resort" I bought one of these units, after reading the reviews here, including the ones that are essentially tutorials. I cut a 33 ft wire and feed it through a tuner into the aux antenna. It works. As others have pointed out it won't get rid of multiple noise sources but it kills the one that was causing the most trouble. I now regularly can copy stations that were actually unreadable before and I can finally work 40 meters. Now I wouldn't and can't be without it. Fortunately I run QRP so the overloading the unit isn't an issue. And I have found that setting the relay down to 0 allows QSK for me. It does what MFJ said it would and I am satisfied with it.

WB0MCO Rating: 3/5 Nov 21, 2011 10:05 Send this review to a friend
MFJ= Poor Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After promising myself I would never buy MFJ again because of quality issues I went and did it again. The intermitted power line noise drove me to it. Call after call to the power company (Alliant Energy)with no results just promises.
The unit worked right out of the box and does a great job of eliminating my noise problems.
The 3 rating is for the poor cabinet,the top lid
looked like it was hacked out with a dull blade.
The sharp edges had to be sanded and repainted.
I'am also waiting for the sense antenna that was
missing for the package...Same old MFJ

AE6ZW Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2011 13:34 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-1025 work OK.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in crowded city and close by apartments and houses, it does reduce the noise of some, but not all. I think my problem is because noise source is from everywhere, and every directions. but, I can select one of the most offending noise, and null it out, one at the time , but not all at once. which makes sense, since it eliminate noise with adding opposite phase from AUX ANT. I made some changes and took pictures as below link.

G0TIY Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2011 08:56 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 1026  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the the mfj noise cancelling device to overcome local plasma TV interference . I first tried to use it with its own telescopic antenna
but it was not that effective.so i tied lots of quick hook up antennas and some worked but not really very effective .So i put up a multi
trapped dipole and its working like a dream,if you are going to use the auxiliary antenna you might have to experiment to get the best
out of this unit but if you have local noise problems im sure you will .It takes out a local plasma TV that is a 20db signal on spot
frequency's and i was able to hear weak stations underneath Pleased but the build quality is bad and the so239 sockets are poor quality
i replaced them with better ones .Also the nobs to control the unit are to small i also replaced the with bigger ones and now
it is much easier to control.Works for me and i am pleased with it a bit expensive but im able to use my radio again so on that
alone its worth it.I would have given it a 5 but the quality of the build lets it down that's why i gave it a 3!!

John G0TIY

N6LQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2011 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can't believe what a positive difference this accessory has made. Even using only the built-in noise antenna, the reduction in noise interference at my location (high density, EMI-polluted suburban location), and resulting reception of signals that previously had been essentially undetectable (particularly on 40M and 30M), has remarkable. It's great to come across an accessory once in a while that really works (for me, anyway) not only as-advertised but better-than-expected. Finally, the build quality of my unit is quite good.

VK2FLNX Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Good result... I can use HF!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found and bought the MFJ-1026 as the QRM at my QTH sits in the S8 to S9+10 range 24 hours a day. I'm in the process of identifying faulty power poles, but also have to contend with the usual problems living in the inner suburbs of a city.

I wasn't expecting the system to work but tried one anyway as the alternative was to sell my radio's or to limit activities to road/field trips. The first couple of 'noise' antenna's didn't work, finally I put up a 40 meter dipole near my trapped dipole and the unit worked flawlessly, s9+noise gone and I'm able to pickup signals I've never been able to hear before.

It doesn't fix the noise problem but it can help alleviate the worst of the impact. I'm happy with this purchase as I'm now on air and am planning on making the second dipole a permanent addition to the yard.

If you have issues with QRM, give this little box a go.

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 10:44 Send this review to a friend
Works FB, Bulb could be a problem.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works as designed but typical MFJ ad hype can lead to dissapointment. Here's the facts:
1. Both the main and aux antenna need to receive the noise signal.
2. The aux and main antenna gain should be adjusted so the noise is the same level on both antennas.
3. Using a panadapter such as the LP-PAN makes the process 1,000 times easier.
4. Using a rig with rx ant. in/out jacks (K3) means you don't need to rely on the MFJ's relay and you can keep your QSK.
5. Running a KW will probably burn out the protection bulb on the aux input. See below.
6. The included whip antenna is not likely to pick up noise well enough to bother with.
7. The best "noise" antenna is one that does a great job picking up noise and a terrible job picking up signals!

My specfic noise problem is a 58" Samsung plasma TV next door. It produces S9+10 signals across 80 meters and jumps frequency as it's picture content varies. I'm using an Elecraft K3. I connected the K3's rx in/out between the MFJ-1026's main and radio jacks.
My main antenna is a 200' inverted L and presently I'm using an 80m, coax fed, inverted vee for noise pickup. The plasma noise was easily nulled out. When doing so, it nulled the noise on all frequencies across 80 meters at once plus all harmonics on 40 meters. Amazing isn't it?
With the cover off, I could see the aux input protection bulb glow very brightly when running 100 watts. Any more power and it would burn out.
The schematic shows back to back diodes on the opposite side of the bulb from the aux jack. Of course these will protect the MFJ's circuit but not the bulb.
I soldered a back to back pair of 1N4148 diodes directly across the aux SO-239 jack and now the bulb does not light at all. No reduction of signal or IMD is noticed. I highly recommend doing this.
The diodes are Radio Shack cat# 276-1122.
Take 2 diodes and solder them in parallel so that the diode's bands are opposite each other then solder them across the aux. jack.

Construction Quality:
I read some negative comments on construction quality on here. All I can say is that everything looks fine. The connectors are bolted on instead of rivets and the smd parts are all soldered neatly.

Phasing Antennas:
I need to experiment more with this but the principle works to a degree even with my overly closely spaced antennas. Rapid signal fading makes adjustment tricky but what else could you expect? Nulling noise is a lot easier!

G6GIY Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2011 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Needs patience to get it to work.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I initially got this to deal with a local thermostat noise,but now I have new neighbors that seem to have bought a PLT device that gives me S8 noise on 60 and 80 meters. The internal whip is no use so I buried 60 feet of coax to a 9:1 balun and a wire antenna on the fence nearest to the noise source.This works perfectly but a big frequency change requires an adjustment of all the pots and switches.

WX7G Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2011 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device nulls out the dominant 80 meter noise source at my QTH. That leaves another noise source that is 15 dB lower. The MJF-1026 allows me to copy CW stations that are otherwise not detectable.

The built-in antenna is, as others say, useless. The AUXILARY antenna needs to have a gain of perhaps not more than 10 dB below the MAIN antenna.

My MAIN antenna is a 20' base loaded vertical. The AUX antenna is a Hustler mobile antenna (10' long) with only a ground rod. It is mounted 60' from the MAIN antenna. It has 10 dB less gain than the MAIN antenna. The MFJ-1026 works with this but much less AUX antenna gain and it would not.

N6RLS Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2011 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Works... with practice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after a rushed try with the built-in antenna which was useless I had planned to box it back and return it to HRO...

I decided to give it a better test using the AUX antenna input and an outside Windom antenna.

Short review: Yes it works... but you do have to try settings that might not agree with some suggested elsewhere here or even in the manual. Recommended.

For instance, my settings for the 20M band are:

T/R Delay ------ 4 (see note below)
Pre-Amp ------ OFF
Aux Ant Gain --- 2
Freq ---------- HIGH
Phase --------- 9.25 (between 9 & 9)
Phase Norm/Inv - Invert
Main Ant Gain - 2.5 (2)

-- Internal: Jumper set to JMP1 (jumper 1)

You compare the "in" and "out" of the MFJ-1026 by using the Power button. Switched "Off," the station you're listening to might be buried under noise or just harder to hear. Or not, depending on the nature of the noise you're nulling with the unit.

Also... my radio is a Yaesu FT-897... and I found getting the S Meter to read "0" meant having the AGC on and the RF knob fully up. After getting the MFJ-1026 set for maximum null of the noise, then fiddle with the AGC/RF settings if you want.

Note: with the T/R Delay set to "0" the internal relay often cycles on & off rapidly while transmitting - not good! Turning the T/R knob past 2 or 3 fixes that.

Also, I used a stereo mini-phone to split L/R Phono (RCA) plug cable (use the Red/Right one on the 1026) to enable the T/R Control mode. This is probably rig-specific ... works on the FT-897.

There are some mods suggested here in other reviews... read through the reviews for other ideas, suggestions and reactions. Also, search "MFJ-1026" (or "MFJ-1025") on YouTube for some interesting demos of this thing in action!

Unless the power company cuts the power again... this is the best way to cut noise in my urban environment.

ps: Mine appeared to be a "repack" from the Portland HRO store (fingerprints, banged up styrofoam blocks holding the unit, antenna and power cord scotch-taped to the outside of the unit, etc...) No doubt it failed someone else's test and they didn't give it a second chance!