Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler
MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $179
Description: The MFJ-1026 is designed to reduce noise or interference, or improve desired signals, before the noise affects sensitive receiver circuits.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1026

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1026 Noise & Interference Canceler.

N1XBP Rating: 1/5 Jul 24, 2006 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Neat unit ..if it worked  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was skeptical about how well the MFJ-1026 (1025 is the same unit without a whip antenna) would work in my situation. I've got background noise approaching S9 to S9+10 at times and it arrives from many directions (city noise). I thought perhaps the unit would help me at least quiet things down a little.

The first time I tried the unit, like everyone else, I had almost no results. Don't waste the extra 20 dollars on the 1026, get the 1025 if you are going to get one because this unit is useless without an external noise antenna anyway.

So, after checking out the net and reviews I decided to put up a noise antenna. I made sure to set the jumper onto J1 as the manual instructed.

I've got a 20 meter dipole in the attic and I'm restricted in terms of putting up an outside antenna, so my first attempt at a noise antenna was a small dipole running at ~45 degrees perpendicular to the end of the 20 meter dipole (the noise dipole was stretched out along a rafter). I didn't want coupling between the two and my analyzer showed there was minimal change in the characteristics of the main dipole. The noise dipole was about 10 feet in total length, and fed with RG8x, while the 20 meter was fed with RG-213.

This produced little to no results.. a slight change in the noise "sound" was detectable but not much occured.

Still thinking it must be either me or a bad antenna, I took down my two dipoles and put in place two 10 meter dipoles with ends facing each other and a a few feet in between. With the same orientation, height, and relatively similar location these two antennas performed similarly on my receiver.

Still, no effect from the 1026.

At this point I started to think perhaps there was something wrong with the unit, and I put the 20 meter dipole back up and tuned it. Switching the "big" dipole onto the noise input, and turning the gain down on the main antenna, I was unable to hear anything from the "noise" antenna. My unit was completely deaf on that input.

Looking closely at the board to see if anything was amiss, I noticed it was covered in fingerprints that looked as though they were left by someone with solvent on their hands, and the overall construction was poor. The main gain pot was already coming loose!

I returned the unit and due to the construction and failure out of the box, I won't be buying another. In the future I'll either build my own phaser or try an ANC-4. I'll probably think twice before I buy another MFJ product again as well.

AD6RH Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2006 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually have the MFJ-1025 (same unit minus the whip antenna). I have up to 20 over S9 power line noise and this unit will reduce it to S1-S3. It takes a while to "tweak" but worth the effort. I wired the PTT relay, and another relay that drops out the receiving antenna when in transmit. Now, if PGE would only fix the problem...

NK7Q Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2006 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Where did the noise go?!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a bad noise problem caused by high voltage lines right behind the house. On rainy or humid nights you can hear the crackling noise from the powerlines. This situation produces at least S-9 noise on the receiver, making operation difficult if not impossible. I hooked up the MFJ unit per their directions, not using the internal whip antenna but a dipole parallel to the powelines instead - this serves as my noise antenna. My Cushcraft R-7 vertical is the main antenna. During high noise periods, I simply tune the gains on the main and noise antennas separately, and then adjust the phase until the noise simply disappears. From S-9 noise to S-0 noise! Stations I could not hear just emerge from nowhere. A slight downside is that while I can hear them, they may not be able to hear me, but generally this is not the. Also, the S meter reading for the worked station will not read true because received signal strength drops with the noise. However, the signal to noise ratio increases, allowing you to hear the weakest of stations.

In order for this unit to work, some experimentation with the noise antenna is a must. You must put in some time on this to get it right, but it really pays off. Additionally, take MFJ's advice and connect a PTT cable from the tranceiver to the MFJ. Then there will be no worries about overloading the circuitry during transmit.

All in all, this is one impressive performer. It will generally only tune out one type of noise, dependent on the noise antenna used. Some noise situations may not be fixable. I am now happily operating on nights where this would have been impossible before. As I have only had the unit for a few weeks, I cannot comment on long-term reliability. So far though I am very pleased.

VA7CZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2006 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Indispensible aid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my 1026 new a bit over a month ago. I live in a noisy, urban location and use a mobile antenna from an apartment balcony as well as various odd wire antennas. The 1026 is a real trooper at removing the largest single source of noise on any given frequency. Don't expect too much from one of these, as, being an antenna steering device, they can really only null one or two directions at a time. But if you're plagued by loud single-source noises, this can take them right out.

The only drawback was that the supplied whip did not fit the supplied mount (inside the unit). No big huhu, though, I just wedged it in place with the plastic cap of a ballpoint pen and it works fine.

My IC-751 has a jumper for inserting a transverter or using a separate receive antenna. I connected the MFJ 1026 into the rig there, so as not to have to worry about whether its antenna switch would be adequate. MFJ does recommend you either do that or hook its push-to-talk up to a DC PTT line from your rig.

All in all, I can do a lot more hamming with it than I could without it.

W7MY Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2005 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my 1026 for about 7 years. I use it exclusively for digging out the weak ones on 160 meters. I live in an urban environement with lots of emissions from all sorts of electronic gadgits. I can say that I would pobably not be able to operate with out it. I use it with a 160 dipole and a 160 meter vertical which are spaced apart about 25'. The dipole is only up about 30' and the vertical is a 70' top loaded affair. I am able to null most of my received birdies down 30-50 db! I have never tried the sense antenna and believe it to be useless.

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2005 17:47 Send this review to a friend
OMG! it Works!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay so I did what many of us did the first time I got this thing home... I tore open the box, threw it on the desk, plugged it in, turned it on and started twisting all the knobs back and fourth as fast as I could....Nothing.

Okay so after I realized I couldn't return it because the box was all torn up, I figured I'd give it one last try but this time I'd read the manual first.

The noise level at my home is usually between an S8 and S9+, it's not a hum or pulse noise, just a loud white noise like a TV makes if you take away the cable or antenna.
My antennas consist of a remotely tuned 40m mag loop and an end fed 20m dipole in the attic above my third floor apartment. I connected the dipole to the main antenna connector and connected a 20' piece of wire to the aux antenna connector and threw it over the door frame.

You can learn all about how it works in the manual or online but here's a quick start guide to hearing it's effects right away.

1)connect your 'main' and 'aux' antenna
(don't use the tiny internal whip and choose an aux antenna that's comparable to your main antenna so they both hear the "same" noise)
2)plug in remote TX line (don't use internal RF sensing circuit)
3)Make sure the power button is off and connect the 12Vdc.
4)connect station ground.
5)Turn all knobs fully CCW, 'preamp' button 'off', 'phase' button to 'normal' and 'Freq' button to 'high' if you're on 30m or above or 'low' if you're on 40m or below.
6)Turn on your tranceiver, pick a frequency and take note of the noise level on your S meter.
7)Turn on power on the 1026.(Rx will get quiet)
8)Turn up 'Aux antenna gain' until noise just hits it's normal S reading on your meter (the same level noted in step 6) note position of knob then turn it back fully CCW.
9)Turn the 'main antenna gain' until noise just hits exact same level, leave that knob where it is.
10)Turn the Aux antenna gain back to the same position in step 8.
11) Slowly rotate the Phase knob until the S meter reads zero!

Yes I said zero, My radio is an FT-857, not quite a K2 on RX (God I miss ol' #2737) but the S-meter went from S9+ to S Zero and there was no effect on real signals.
I don't understand why this isn't part of every big name rig.
Larry

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2005 16:16 Send this review to a friend
MFJ-1026 - Cures the worst RFI  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a new Whirlpool "Duet" front loading washing machine and it put S7 to S9 noise across the 20 meter band at approximately 10 khz intervals.

The S9 hash noise is accompanied by a strong BUZZZ at many points on the dial. Rig is an OMNI VI+, antenna is a GAP Eagle, and the noise antenna is a fan dipole fed with twin lead and installed in the attic.

The noise is cancelled out completely. All I can hear are traces at a few points on the dial if I listen and tune the transceiver very carefully.

You judge for yourself what that would be worth to you.

It also worked to phase out RFI from a 27" SONY TV in the shack, that application didn't even require the external noise antenna.

Remember though that the device only tunes to a single noise source so it's the washer or the TV but not both.

The MFJ box has the usual marginal fit and finish. I hate repainting a -new- item! But the PC board inside is a quality (SMT) unit and the switches and pots are good too.

I'm amazed that some of the early reviews have watered down this product's rating, but that's the nature of these reviews for many products it seems.

If you take the time to setup this box properly, it will work wonders for you.

WB0LMP Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2005 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If youíre reading this, you probably have an interference problem with noise and are wondering if the MFJ-1026 will help. I was in the same place a few months ago. Yes, the MFJ-1026 works amazingly well at nulling out noise.

I returned to ham radio after a ten year absence. When I set up my new rig (an Icom IC-718), I realized I had an S7-S8 noise floor, likely due to static from a local power line and other garbage in the neighborhood. I was very disappointed because I could hear at best only a very few strong signals through all the noise. So I read the reviews here on the MFJ-1026 and took a chance. It works. I wouldnít be able to use my rig without it and am grateful that MFJ manufactures this device.

What many others have said in their reviews is accurate and informative. Iíll add my two cents anyway. First, set up the external PTT switching to be assured the 1026 is bypassed when you transmit.

Now letís talk about that sensing antenna. The unit needs to hear the noise that you would like to cancel. For local noise, which is most of the noise that causes us problems, you donít need anything fancy. All you need is an antenna that can hear the noise that you would like to cancel out. You want to be able to hear the noise on the sensing antenna at about the same signal strength as the primary antenna. Since most noise problems are produced locally, a simple wire will probably work just fine. I put up a small dipole in the attic with some spare coax and wire, which is probably more than whatís necessary.

Read and follow the directions carefully, then youíll get the hang of it and wonít have to refer back to the directions. Basically, you watch the S-meter and match the level of noise between the two antennas using the Auxiliary and Main Antenna Gain controls, then you null out the noise using the Phase control. When you hit that ďsweet spotĒ of nulling the noise, youíll be congratulating yourself for buying the unit. With a little practice, it takes only about fifteen seconds to try all the combinations of controls and buttons to find the sweet spot (weíre hams, we like turning knobs and pushing buttons anyway, donít we?).

Most noise I can null to practically nothing. Some other noise is more of a challenge (probably noise from local TV sets or computers) because my sensing antenna isnít picking it up as well as my primary antenna. But when I donít think the unit is helping much, I turn it off and realize that it makes a huge difference.

Last nightís conditions were typical: I had an S7-S8 noise floor on 20 meters. I was able to make the noise disappear by using the 1026. I would not have been able to operate without it. Itís a delight to hear the noise go away and the signals come through. I am still so amazed at how effectively it works that I find myself always switching the unit on and off to see the difference with and without it. MFJ has a real winner here.

G7CNF Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2005 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Patience is a virtue.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read the reviews here prior to buying the 1026 with some interest and tentatively bought one. My first reactions were blimey, it's rubbish....BUT.... Patience is a virtue, and now? There is no way I could ever consider venturing onto HF without it.

I have two main antennas, a G5RV full size for the lower bands, and a home-made 1/2 wave folded 5 bander dipole (confined field) for 20-10. The G5RV often sees a noise floor of S9 at this location, and now it is VERY rare for me to have a noise floor higher than S3 and most of the time S0-S2 with the 1026 tuned up.

***The key to this chap is getting the noise antenna right***, and of course using the tnx line for TX, forget the internal sensor or you'll just smoke this unit!

There is nothing, NOTHING, I can't peak or null. Noise from my switch mode PSU, computer, broadcast stations, other hams, QRM (to some extent, but need practice). You must be patient, learn how to use it and get your noise antenna right. If you are not prepared to do this, don't buy one.

Don't buy the gear and take it straight out of the box and expect a cure-all. The gear is only as good as the operator's technical understanding of the application. If you don't understand the issues of phasing an antenna array, how can you expect to get the best from a device designed to do exactly that?

For the record my noise antenna is a 6m piece of coax. Thatís it. Nothing more. No more is needed.

Good DX and 73ís.

NJ6F Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2004 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Works Great 1025 Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This one has the hole for the external antenna on top but coves with hookup on back as well.

YES IT WORKS amazingly well. S9 noise cancelled down to S1 or less, on hiss and funky electrical transformer noise and even QRN.

Yes, if you take the time to hook it up right and read the directions, it will work for you as well. Set up both antennas in the same polizarition.... horizontal typically and make sure both antennas are receiving some of the signal. If second antenns does not receive a decent signal, then don't expect it to work or cancel signals.

Basically you max out on the second antenna WITH SAME POLARIZATION AS FIRST ANTENNA , and then add a little bit of gain from second antenna and vary or shoot for a null or peak by shifting the second antenna knob and looking at the noise on the meter. You basically want to achieve the null while cutting the max gain of primary antenna but what you get is severe noise being wiped out.... shut off unit and you will see difference. or flip the phase switch for a max signal peak or minimum noise.
*** It works ahead of your radio so no AGC is activated, and it will do better than a noise blanker will do but without the audio distortion...amazing.
Yes sometimes there is not much noise it will not do anything noticable for you if condx are quiet but if you put your phones on and intently listen you will even see improvement with no bad conditions just improved noise floor.
Get the 1025, the antenna on the 1026 is not worth it.
Look at your s-meter while you do these things and you will see the difference. Sometimes it is so good but the phase shift doesnt seem to make much difference because noise knockout is so broad but when you shut it off or change phase you can notice a major difference. Tune the band for some received noise in areas of the band where there is noise clusters. Then activate this baby and go for it.

Yes if you are some impatient complainer that doesnt take the time to read or listen to the unit when hooked up correctly, you might not see the result and just surmise that unit is bad which is not the case.
That is how they get on the internet....they all work.... it is just the impatient person that makes us all lucky to see one on eham or ebay.
I got mine for $67 NEW in the box off ebay.