Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Outback 2000 by Harvest Help

Reviews Summary for Outback 2000 by Harvest
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$79.00 USA
Description: HF 6-80 mtr mobile antenna
More info: http://www.eagle-antenna.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_19&products_id=296

You can write your own review of the Outback 2000 by Harvest.

KI4JBH Rating: 1/5 Oct 3, 2017 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Good price but you get what you pay for!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna for QRP use for ease of changing of the bands and length seemed very simple. I followed all of the instructions in setting the antenna and even made sure I had a counterpoise set to reduce any unnecessary high SWR. With another antenna tuner in place I started to begin my transmissions. I can say that I could pick up some stations a few states over but anything over 400 miles you can forget it. I even placed a mag mount antenna and stuck it on a metal roof to see if that made a difference but no luck either. So I even decided to place the mag mount on a 40 ft portable tower to see if reception and even getting out would make a difference. To my luck this set up didn't even work. For what the manufacturer said it could do even at 150 Watts PEP that didn't even help it at all on a 100 watt HF machine. I was very interested in getting the MFJ version of the 1899 but since this antenna exactly was the same for more wattage I tried it out. Overall the experience was terrible and could not make any simple contacts. I even phoned a buddy of mine up at the beach and even he could hear my transmissions. The bad part is that there is a local 6 M repeater 10 miles away and it even wouldn't hit the repeater. To me I guess I got a bad antenna but the experience was just terrible. I guess I will spend a little more money next time and buy a alpha loop or a buddistick for QRP time.

KB1TCD Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna is supposed to do 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10m.
Thus far I have been able to tune it for 40, 20, 17 and 15m.
80 meters is out of the question w/o using a counterpoise.
A bit hard to tune and it requires changing the whip length for each band. Once I got a band tuned I made a slight notch on the whip so I could go back to it and now it's effortless.
You do have to get out of the vehicle and change the jumper cable to change bands.
I am mostly using it on 17m both stationary during my lunch break and mobile on my home from work. Antenna is hooked up to a 5 inch mount and on the trunk of my 82 Ford Fairmont which has a lot of metal! I do not recommend going over 55mph with whip attached; I lost antenna once doing 65 mph already but stopped the car and got it back, the 5 inch mount was destroyed.
Antenna performs great! I have made both DX and nationwide contacts both while driving and stationary; I average 5 contacts a day using the antenna.
Rig is Yaesu FT897D at 50 watts. I use a 105 amp/hr AGM battery that is in the trunk and a 50 watt Solar Panel to charge battery when stationary.

I also have an Outback 1899 which is better in that you don't have to adjust the whip, just change the jumper.
This one only does 40, 20, 15 and 10m. For 6 and 2m you do have to adjust the whip.

I am usually calling cq on 15 and 17m from 16:00 to 17:00 UTC and on 17m at 19:00 UTC Monday thru Friday using the Outback antennas.

7 3 de Jose Douglas KB1TCD in Mid Coast ME.

NS1R Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2014 11:41 Send this review to a friend
HF 6- 80 mtr molile antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is similar to the Perth style antenna but is $79. You have to get out of the car to change bands. I always wanted one of the Outbackers but could not afford $ 300. I am considering get a second antenna and making a portable dipole that could be used when I travel in hotel rooms or back packing etc.