Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | K1EL K16 Help

Reviews Summary for K1EL K16
K1EL  K16 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$19.95
Description: Morse code keyer kit. Includes PC board and all on-board parts. Enclosure, potentiometer, and pushbutton(s) must be supplied separately. Two versions are available: one has on-board batteries, the other requires external voltage.
More info: http://k1el.tripod.com/K16.html

You can write your own review of the K1EL K16.

N5LB Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer, fun project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I didn't need a keyer, the rig has one, but you know, I just needed it. No complaints and I'm very happy with my new keyer. The PCB and parts are high quality and the online manual is excellent. It took maybe 30 minutes to populate and solder the PCB parts and then about 2 hours to install in a reclaimed minibox (remember those!). Use a small tip iron, no Weller 100W guns, and some magnification for old eyes and it's a piece of cake. I used a 25W, $20 iron and 0.015 rosin core from Amazon. I love the smell of solder in the morning!

4O4SM Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2016 13:06 Send this review to a friend
4O4SM, just perfect!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered K16-BAT kit, nice PCB, very detailed manual, in about hour it was ready to start sending CW, paired with Begali Simplex Basic paddle, it is a winner for me! Plentiful programming options, I put only one push button for now. First contest with K16 this year was PACC. K16 pass the test excellent! Nice options for me is first element extension, because I have old qrp TS-120v, and when I sent higher speed, ts-120v somehow "eat" first dot in my callsign (usually speed greatet than 120 lpm, that is problem with rig). Generally, K16 is excellent product! best 73 de 4O4SM

N1KW Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2015 03:45 Send this review to a friend
Great keyer packed with features  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The K16 keyer has overcome the minor deficiencies of earlier models and has even more new capabilities. It provides many more features than most operators will ever use. Programming is easy. Battery life is excellent, especially with the silver oxide type. It is an absolute bargain for $20.

AC4BN Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2014 16:50 Send this review to a friend
An excellent keyer kit !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I’ve recently bought the K1EL K16 keyer kit (updated from several earlier versions), assembled it and have been using it a while. It is absolutely excellent! For $20 it is a miracle.

The kit consists of a very small printed circuit board, silk-screened with all parts marked, and all parts for the pc board.. Add the enclosure and potentiometer. I bought the version which uses three LR44 batteries, which avoids the nuisance of connection to a power supply. The standby (or sleep) mode draws only 1 μA, so the batteries will last for a long time.

My reason for ordering the keyer is that my favorite transceiver for CW requires jumping through menus in order to change the CW speed.... not satisfactory! I put the keyer in a small plastic box and it sits atop my transceiver, with a REAL KNOB (potentiometer) to change the sending speed!

The keyer is operated with an 8-pin microcontroller, and the software offers many options for operating. Here’s an example which was important to me (and probably to most folks using this): the speed range is 5 - 99 wpm, which would make it difficult to set the speed where you want it with the potentiometer. Simply hit the Command button and enter the minimum speed and the maximum speed you wish, and it spreads this speed range over roughly 225 degrees on the potentiometer. I set mine to run from 10 to 20 wpm. The bottom 20 degrees or so (CCW) is programmed to your “favorite speed”.

Go to the web page (http://k1el.tripod.com/K16.html) And download the manual. You will be pleasantly surprised at what this keyer offersl!