Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-92 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-92
Radio Shack PRO-92 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $350.00
Description: portable 500 channel trunking scanner
More info: http://www.Radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-92.

KU4VQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2002 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Trunking Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a PRO-92 and its pefomance and ALPHA Tags are great. Stongly suggest the Software to make programing easier and the optional longer antenna(20-034) from Radio Shack or antennas from Diamond or Comet help the reciver hear even better.

KB3HFP Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2002 12:29 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a wonderful radio for conventional systems, and OK for trunking. The alpha tagging and CTCSS/DTMF decode features are beyond no other. The only problem with this radio is that you cannot lockout individual talkgroups, except in Closed mode, and it does suffer from a "Flickering Talkgroup" bug that sometimes messes up what talkgroup it tells you you're listening to in Open mode. BTW, I'm not sure why KV4BL couldn't figure out how to program it, it's easy:

Manual - 000 - Program - 146.955 - Enter

And you're done! Same as just about any other scanner. My advice is to READ THE MANUAL. Let's face it, it is cryptic, but it works. Don't operate the radio without reading the manual. Of course, the first thing I did before I even turned it on was flip through the manual!!! (Yeah, right. :-)

73 de Michael KB3HFP

N9KSG Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2002 20:31 Send this review to a friend
get the software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Lots of complaining going on here about the programming being difficult for this fine radio.
My advice is get the Win92 software. I bought a used 92 for $125 - best money ever spent. True, it takes awhile to get the hang of programming the radio manually. I ordered the software/cable from blackbagsoftware.com When you order, you can download the full version of Win92 and you get the cable in 3-4 days. If you've ever used a spreadsheet, you can do the software easily.

KC9AXZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 11, 2002 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio does what it is supposed to do. The PL/DPL decode is far superior to any radio I ever used. I'd suggest finding a programming cable and software for programming (not very friendly on the wrist). My only complaint is, you cannot lock out or hold on specific talk group Id's. This is also not a scanner for beginners. I also wouldn't suggest it to anyone who doesn't NEED a "trunk tracker"

KV4BL Rating: 0/5 Jul 11, 2002 15:35 Send this review to a friend
For Techno-Geeks Only! Wouldn't have one if you gave it to me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had a friend bring one of these radios to me to program for him. As I have been fooling with police monitors / scanners since I was 12 and didn't consider myself a technical "retard" by any means, I told him I'd be glad to give it a shot with the understanding that I wouldn't do any 800 Trunking programs as this is so incredibly complicated and the available frequency info is sketchy at best. This is the reason I will NOT buy any scanners until they come out with a self stuffer that can load frequencies with only the control channel programmed in. Thinking I could program enough conventional public service frequencies in so he could benefit from this "feature packed" radio, I set to work. an hour and a half later, I had managed to program one frequency and PL code in its memory and wasn't even close to getting an alpha tag into it. Also, the frequenncy I did manage to program into it would not stay in memory. He said he had asked the Radio Shack salesman who sold it to himm to help him program it, and as would be expected, he didn't have a clue either. From the posts here, I take it there are some people out there who can get use of this radio but as I said, I am not a techno-geek and found this radio totally non-intuitive and absolutely user-UNFRIENDLY! I advised my friend to take it back and get something simpler, and perhaps to suggest creative places for them to store this radio. Radio Shack should be ashamed for marketing an item such as this to the general public, who, thinking they can take it home and spend a few minutes programming it with the crappy users manual and worthles supplied frequency list, believe they can sit down and enjoy public safety adventure via radio. If I cannot program it, I know most people who just want to listen to their local police are in for a bad trip unless they know a techno-geek who is also RF savvy. There aren't too many of those around. I really hope Radio Shack gets a lot of returns on this item and does better by the consumer in future models.

AD5CN Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2001 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great scanner, OK price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pro-92 is built very sturdy with a well designed receiver (a little too sensitive at times). Scanner has upgrade versions (Pro-92A & B). Upgrading the original scanner costs $49.00 for labor at Radio Shack. It takes awhile to learn all features and procedures. Scanner also has cloning/computer programing features. All-in-all a very good scanner.

KB2SFO Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2001 23:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, does exactly what is supposed to do.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been into scanning since 1972. I have owned, literally, dozens of radios, from AOR to Scanfare. With only two major players left, Relm may as well hang it up and stick to two-way mobiles, the quality just gets better with every introduction from Uniden and GRE.
Bought the Pro-92 in June, on sale, a "B" version firmware model. GREAT radio. Sensitivity is good, and dynamic range is excellent. There is NO squelch tail. CTCSS/DCS is a bonus that I am so used to using now, that it annoys me that my other radios don't have it. Yes, it is difficult to program, and you need to read the manual several times to get the hang of it, and I would recommend checking the message boards for programming and usage help. But once you are set up, sit back and enjoy. The Pro-92 does what it is supposed to do. I have several mixed conventional and trunked systems programmed in and all work perfectly. Another added bonus is the audio power and quality; plenty of undistorted audio at high volume. I am so pleased with this radio that I will be purchasing the mobile version (Pro2067) to use as a base unit. I have a BC245 and Pro-2050(RS base version of BC245)both of which I almost NEVER use anymore for trunked system monitoring; I use them for conventional system listening(both would be great with CTCSS).

KC2IGY Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2001 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Great features, Ok performance.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a 5 for its features, a 3 for its performance. All in all, it's probably the best Trunking HH you can buy. Make sure you wait for it to be on sale for $249 or less.

N9ZGP Rating: 4/5 Jul 22, 2001 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Digital Trunking in PRO-93 ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Friend gave me his Pro-94 which I used for a week, and was able to upgrade to Pro-92, and did so immediately. RS has the Pro-92 on sale now for $249.95, and rumor has it, it will de discontinued in place of the Pro-93. Digital Trunking is a fact, and Bearcat is ready to ship their comparable unit with just that feature. The owners manual for the Pro-92 is well written, but I had a problem with Lake County, Illinois EDACS freqs working properly. Very few RS folks in the Chicago area had a clue how to program the Pro-94 or the Pro-92. 1-800-THE-SHACK has the expertise' to allow the user to go step-by-step with any problem. After a short session with them, I had the Pro-92 TRUNKING like a champ! GRE has done a great job of with this piece of gear. The competition will make this fast-growing area of personal electronics even better.

KC8MPS Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2001 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this scanner during christmas of 2000, and was fortunate to get the 92B model. I live in Detroit, and there are various trunking systems in use throughout the metro area. The 500 channel memory is a big plus, and so are the alpha tags. The only thing I don't like is the size. Also it is able to charge Nimh batteries, and this I like also. It goes well powered by RS' 1600 ma Nimh batteries. I take this radio where ever I go. I've also invested in the software. It does not let you control the radio. The software is used for read and write of the memories. Yet, it's still an added plus to quickly download frequency databases for the various places I go to in a jiffy.