Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng/Pofung GT-1 UHF 400-470MHz FM Two-way Ham Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng/Pofung GT-1 UHF 400-470MHz FM Two-way Ham Radio
Baofeng/Pofung GT-1 UHF 400-470MHz FM Two-way Ham Radio Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $29.99
Description: With its small size, easy to carry feature, and stylish appearance, GT-1 is suitable for various wireless communication industries, and is deeply loved by outdoor sports enthusiasts. Besides, it can be widely applied in airports, hotels, large shopping center, entertainment venues, and other industries etc.

Features:

* Low Voltage Alert
* Time-out Timer
* Flashlight

Talking Range

* The maximum effective talking range is up to 5KM (3.1 Miles) from peak to valley.
* Average distance is up to 3.6KM (2.3 Miles) in open area.
* The range is up to 2KM (1.3 Miles) in downtown with skyscrapers.

Advantages Over BF-888S:

* Optimized ergonomic design, feels excellent, convenient to carry. With FM function.
* The shell is made of imported PC material, excellent in sealing, elasticity, and pressure resistance; easily respond to salt fog, humidity, high temperatures and harsh environments.
* Perfect Customer Service system, with 60 days return and 1 year warranty.
* 1800mAh lithium-ion batteries, with power saving function. Battery life is more durable and long lasting than other brands' and BF-888s walkie-talkies.

Package Content:

1 x Belt Clip
1 x English Manual
1 x Desktop Charger
1 x Wrist Strap
More info: http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng-pofung-gt-1-two-way-ham-radio-uhf-400-470mhz-16-channels.html

You can write your own review of the Baofeng/Pofung GT-1 UHF 400-470MHz FM Two-way Ham Radio.

WC3T Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2017 07:49 Send this review to a friend
No-frills and a good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hey, it's a $10 UHF HT that hits local repeaters. That's what I was looking for, that's what came in the box. I grabbed my UHF master list from Chirp to load into the rig and uploaded it, and after a night in the charging cradle I'm good to go. It's not my TH-F6 but if I lose this, I won't go find a high spot to throw myself off of the way I would if I lost/broke my Kenwood. If you need cheap portable UHF service to local repeaters, you won't go wrong with this.

K2PH Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2017 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Can't Beat It For The Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I know that it's not my Motorola. Or my Icom. Putting that aside, I just got the radio from a US eBay seller, in two days, for $10.98, including shipping. That includes the radio, battery, charger, antenna, belt clip and carrying strap. All nicely packaged. It programmed right up in CHIRP, and I can hit my local repeaters with good reports as to signal strength and audio.
When I get a chance I'll put it on the test bench and look at its power out and spectral purity. Meanwhile, it works !!

KJ7FP Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2016 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Better than you'd think it is  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got one of these just to see how good this cheap of a radio could be. Well... it's no FT60, but it's not half bad, actually. You get 2 watts output (not 5), and the battery is 3.7 volts, not 7.4 like they claim. Quite a few outright lies on the box. But, if you know what you are getting, which most people have figured out by now, it's not bad. I put a Sainsonic INF-641 antenna on it and it works a lot better than stock, and I can hit a few local UHF repeaters from up here in the mountains, plus it's good for local simplex for a mile or so depending on terrain. You can also use it on FRS frequencies with non hams (to do so legally in the US, you need to buy a GMRS license for $90, since it's over 1/2 watt and has a removeable antenna). Battery life is much better than I'd expect (I've used it all day and still had battery left). The FM radio is actually nice to have sometimes too (although tuning it is best described as completely random). It's turned out to be fairly durable -- I've dropped it quite a few times and it hasn't died yet. The antenna tried to unscrew itself internally once, but I screwed it back on and it's fine again. Programming it with CHIRP was pretty easy (once I got the computer to recognize the counterfit Prolific USB/serial chip in the cheapo cable that comes with it). If this was $40, I'd say it wasn't worth it, but for $22 including shipping -- it's handy to have around as a backup UHF, and it's small enough to just slip in a pocket if you go out walking or something. I have several nice Yaesu HT's and several fancier Baofeng HT's, and this one still has a place in my collection.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2015 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Great for the cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could care less if it put out 1 watt. At $20 each, it's a deal. Call it a programmable FRS radio if you want to. It works, it talks, and it's usable. I'm glad it doesn't put out 5 watts. If it did, the PA would probably be damaged due to heat. I run all mine on LOW power anyway. It's great for a group of club members in town who are in close range of the local UHF machine. I don't have any gripes. I ordered a 5 pack for under $100 off Ebay.

PD0AC Rating: 1/5 Mar 28, 2015 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Too many flaws and lies  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
7.4 Volts battery @ 1800 mAh? Forget it. 5 Watts output? You wish. The battery proved to be just 3.7 Volts, just like the Baofeng BF-888S, and the capacity is more in the 1000 - 1300 mAh range.

Power output varies from sample to sample and depends on what frequency you're transmitting, but in general won't exceed 2 Watts.

What you basically get is a slightly modified BF-888S in a refreshing package, but with lies printed on stickers and in the factory specs.

The front-end is a nightmare; the receiver can be overloaded just by snapping your fingers.

That said: yes, a lot of people will be happy with these radios. TX audio is good, battery life too, and they don't look bad either.

While difficult to tune, the FM radio (hold the upper side key while switching on the radio) is a bonus.

KJ5RM Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2015 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Cheap, no frills, low power 70 cm ht  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
5 points for what it is… Extremely cheap, no frills, low power 70 cm handy talkie.

I own two BF-888s which I use daily (see my review here on eham for more info). On Amazon I came across the GT-1 which is a new model upgrade of the BF-888s for $15. Curiosity won out and I ordered a couple to play with. Upon receipt, I programed the units with Chirp daily build (0.4.1) (use BF-888S radio type) and in a few minutes I was on the air. The radios are available in three color designs (green, yellow, and orange). All designs are functionally the same.

As with the BF-888s, I checked for spectrum purity before using them too much. Both units were on frequency with no detected spurs noted inside or outside the ham band. Both of my units measured out between 1.8 and 2 watts of power based on where they were in their operation range (400-470). So you must be fairly close to the station or repeater for this radio to work well.

The GT-1 is very light weight and the plastic case is strong enough to stand up to drops and roughness of outdoor work. I have dropped mine numerous times with no detectable impact to the case or radio. As with the BF-888s this radio comes with a LED flashlight built in. The light is surprisingly bright (same as the BF-888s). You never know how useful having a flashlight in a radio is until you have one! I have used the flashlight quite a bit since purchasing the radio.

Units can be programed for any frequency from 400-470 MHz, with either simplex or repeater offsets, tone, tone squelch, or DCS settings. The unit can store a maximum of sixteen channels. Channel selection is made with a rotatable knob on the top of the radio and a pleasant voice announces the channel selection. The radio is said to have a FM radio function in it but I have been unsuccessful in accessing this function.
Tuning to channel 16 and holding the PTT while turning the radio on will set the radio to scan all 16 channels. This scan function is for receive only and not as useful as it sounds. Its nice to have the option but not knowing what channel came up on the scan make the function less useful.

The radio comes with a higher rated battery pack (1800mAh) then the BF-888s (1500mAh) and different desk charger. The desktop charger charges the battery from dead to full in about 4 hours. The battery life on the radio is astounding with a standard charge lasting days on receive and light transmit. The speaker volume on the radio is very loud at full volume (one of the loudest I have heard on an HT of this size). A noted change from the BF-888s is the antenna is longer and also receives and transmits better.

Final thoughts: This is not a starter radio for a new ham. Is it a better radio then the BF-888s? Yes. The look and feel and better antenna make it better, but it functions identically.

The GT-1 isn’t fancy, no display, no DTMF buttons, and no menus. You program your frequencies into it and it works, period. If you need simple "program and forget" radio for short range low power 70 cm FM communications then this is a good cheap option. If you damage it, lose it, or abuse it, then you’re only out the price of a lunch at a fast food restaurant.

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2014 01:43 Send this review to a friend
Very basic, but basically what you expect for this price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I debated giving this radio three or four stars. I purchased on Radioddity.com. As others pointed out, it requires a separate cable, its directions aren't the best, and it has some other pitfalls. Its hard not to pay attention to its price. I'm not really an experience radio operator, so $20 seems like a steal of a deal to get into the radio game. They work well enough for me but I, admittedly, have been using them as walkie talkies. It's an easy springboard, though, and I can't imagine finding anything cheaper.Btw, love the appearance.