Reviews Categories | Microphones | Icom SM-6 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SM-6
Icom SM-6 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Base microphone used on Icom radios.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index.html

You can write your own review of the Icom SM-6.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
Punchy little mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one of my favorite desk mikes. It can be picked up and handled easily or lock the button and talk from 2 feet away. It works with many Icoms and I have always been able to count on this mic to get me good audio reports. I like it better than the sm-20 because it works just as good but you can pick it up and use it with comfort. I use one now on a 781 radio. I have been told this is my best sounding rig with this mic.

NI6B Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2010 21:12 Send this review to a friend
works well on newer Icom gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this mic for a IC-751 many years ago and now use it on a IC-7200 with good results.

The original windscreen came apart but found a great replacement in the WindTech 1300 Series with 5/8" ID.

WA5MTQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2008 09:32 Send this review to a friend
Great when set up properly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one in mint condx on eBay for less than $40.00 to use with my 706MKIIG. Have received almost 100% great audio reports, mostly unsolicited. On SSB I run it with control on the bottom of the mic at 2 o'clock and the Mic Gain on the rig at 7. On FM I have to crank it back to the 10 o'clock position and lower the Mic Gain to 2. Can't give it a "5" because it seems to me that I shouldn't have to make such radical adjustments on the mic and rig just to switch modes - especially on a microphone designed to work with the radio and with the same brand name! Still, when things are set properly the mic seems to perform very well.

KB3LAZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 13, 2008 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Not so good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This mic needs more than a bit of help.
Its all treble no bass at all. Its also way to hot on FM, no matter what adjustments are made on the radio or mic. Also the audio quality on SSB is less than astounding. Ill stick with my HM-12 hand mic!

KF5OK Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2008 19:34 Send this review to a friend
i really got one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i first use this mic bak in the early 90s with an ic-735 aboard the CG Cutter i was stationed on. I was the MARS op then. i really enjoyed that mic and many land ops said i had a nice sounding station. here in the last six month i purchased a 746pro. i wanted a desk mic but didn't didn't want to spend the money on a sm-20 after i learned the sm6 was no longer available.

Now here is a real kicker for you. as i was walking out the door with my new 746pro a fine lady walked in with a 746 that she was trading in. SHE had an sm6 with her. I Ask her if she would sale me the mic. She handed me the mic and said "Have fun" she wouldn't take any money for it. it looked brand new also. i couldn't believe it.

anyway, the mic works great with my radio and i have got some good reports with it on 2m SSB. I haven't got to try it on HFSSB yet.

i wish icom would sale this mic again.

W1BKZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2007 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Great audio at a reasonable price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works really well with my IC-761. The locking PTT is an added feature, if you are a serious rag-chewer. I haven't tried it on my IC706-MkII-G, but I'll bet it would work just as well. The bass falls off at low levels on the gain adjustment, and this can easily be overcome by appropriate coupling mods on the preamp pcb, and/or external equalization, if you are into "hi-fi" SSB. Needless to say, I don't use it on AM, simply because rice-boxes do not make good AM!!!
That being said, the SM-6 is a nice, compact, and completely adequate microphone for its intended purpose.

K7PWR Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2006 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Its a great lil mic!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works great with my icom 7000!! It is tiny, but very sturdy.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2006 16:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AUDIO REPORTS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this mic with my 746pro. The rx audio reports I get are great (and most often ... I do not ask for comments).

For rag chew, I set up the 746pro on TBW - with -1 bass & +3 treble - and compression at 1 (barely on). Results are tremendous. For DX, I set 746pro on TBW - with -3 bass & +5 treble - and compression at 3. Really breaks through the QRM.

Great mic ... super price.

N1GXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2005 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Sensitive Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm running a very basic station. An IC-746 (non-pro) into a W3FF Buddipole portable antenna. I wanted to take advantage of the VOX feature as well as have the convenience of a desk mike. The supplied HM-36 hand mike does a great job, infact 2/3 of all IC-746 owners prefer to use it. (according to a recent poll) I think that ANY $100 mike should be outstanding. This one is. It might look like a little tinker-toy but it does have great audio and is super sensitive. I picked mine up on the cheap from a fellow ham but would pay full price for a new one in a heartbeat. I set the mic gain switch on the bottom to 1/3 and then adjusted the mic gain to the proper ALC and have been getting wonderful audio reports. If you don't need a freq. up/down switch on your mic then this should do a great job. It might be small but the construction is very solid. It also has a top quality 'gooseneck' that you would expect to find on more expensive mic's. 73 to my fellow Icom owners. Dan.

KC9GUZ Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2005 15:08 Send this review to a friend
what a great little mike!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to replace the stock mike thats on my Icom V 8000 that i use as a fixed station. Im one of those guys that hates to use a hand mike on a fixed station ( or base station however you call it) and i decided to go with the SM 6 after all the psoitives ive read on it.. Not knowing how it would sound on an FM only rig I got it from R&L taking some what of a risk. The salesman at R&L said it might not sound good on my rig because it is a power mike (i apologise for my CB term here Hi Hi) but i got it anyways. I had to get the adapter that hooks to the front of the rig and to the round mike connector on my SM6. Me and the G/F(shes also a ham!:-)) tried it out one night while I was out in the mobile and wow, it make a 100% difference from the standard hand mike!!!! The audio of the V 8000 is good but it is awesome now with the SM6. I set it on the factory setting on the bottom of the mike and it sounded good. I then tweaked it up a hair and now it sounds wonderful!! Ive had 5 other on the air reports with my locals on the repeater we use and everyone says it sounds MUCH Much better than the hand mike. Overall i like the SM 6, but im giving it a 4 instead of a 5 because of the silly straight cord instead of a coily cord. It must just be me, because of my past experience on CB using D-104s and Turners with the coly cord that makes it convenient.. 73's
KC9GUZ