Reviews Categories | Microphones | Icom SM-6 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SM-6
Icom SM-6 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $119.95
Description: Base microphone used on Icom radios.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/index.html

You can write your own review of the Icom SM-6.

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2006 16:35 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AUDIO REPORTS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use this mic with my 746pro. The rx audio reports I get are great (and most often ... I do not ask for comments).

For rag chew, I set up the 746pro on TBW - with -1 bass & +3 treble - and compression at 1 (barely on). Results are tremendous. For DX, I set 746pro on TBW - with -3 bass & +5 treble - and compression at 3. Really breaks through the QRM.

Great mic ... super price.

N1GXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2005 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Sensitive Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm running a very basic station. An IC-746 (non-pro) into a W3FF Buddipole portable antenna. I wanted to take advantage of the VOX feature as well as have the convenience of a desk mike. The supplied HM-36 hand mike does a great job, infact 2/3 of all IC-746 owners prefer to use it. (according to a recent poll) I think that ANY $100 mike should be outstanding. This one is. It might look like a little tinker-toy but it does have great audio and is super sensitive. I picked mine up on the cheap from a fellow ham but would pay full price for a new one in a heartbeat. I set the mic gain switch on the bottom to 1/3 and then adjusted the mic gain to the proper ALC and have been getting wonderful audio reports. If you don't need a freq. up/down switch on your mic then this should do a great job. It might be small but the construction is very solid. It also has a top quality 'gooseneck' that you would expect to find on more expensive mic's. 73 to my fellow Icom owners. Dan.

KC9GUZ Rating: 4/5 May 6, 2005 15:08 Send this review to a friend
what a great little mike!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to replace the stock mike thats on my Icom V 8000 that i use as a fixed station. Im one of those guys that hates to use a hand mike on a fixed station ( or base station however you call it) and i decided to go with the SM 6 after all the psoitives ive read on it.. Not knowing how it would sound on an FM only rig I got it from R&L taking some what of a risk. The salesman at R&L said it might not sound good on my rig because it is a power mike (i apologise for my CB term here Hi Hi) but i got it anyways. I had to get the adapter that hooks to the front of the rig and to the round mike connector on my SM6. Me and the G/F(shes also a ham!:-)) tried it out one night while I was out in the mobile and wow, it make a 100% difference from the standard hand mike!!!! The audio of the V 8000 is good but it is awesome now with the SM6. I set it on the factory setting on the bottom of the mike and it sounded good. I then tweaked it up a hair and now it sounds wonderful!! Ive had 5 other on the air reports with my locals on the repeater we use and everyone says it sounds MUCH Much better than the hand mike. Overall i like the SM 6, but im giving it a 4 instead of a 5 because of the silly straight cord instead of a coily cord. It must just be me, because of my past experience on CB using D-104s and Turners with the coly cord that makes it convenient.. 73's
KC9GUZ

IW2CZG Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2005 02:44 Send this review to a friend
Good but RF sensitive !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ciao !
I'm using this nice mic with IC-706MKIIG and IC-7400 (european version of IC-746PRO) and I'm pretty satisfied.

The only cons I've found is that this mike it's
really RF sensitive and for this reason I can't use it in all the situation where the antenna is close to the rig, like field-day.

73 de Luca IW2CZG

KG4ZMC Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2004 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great LITTLE Mike for Icom Rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this mike to enhance my auido on my Icom 718. It did that and also seems to drive the radio better, always getting good audio reports.
This mike is so small you keep thinking it's some kind of toy, till you use it, and works well with vox.
Bought an Icom 746pro and the little mike now gets me GREAT audio reports and also drives the rig well, and NOT out of the ALC zone.
If you have an Icom H.F rig and dont want to spend alot of money for a mike, this is the one. Great Product. 73's KG4ZMC

NG0F Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2004 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mike looks like a toy mike. I keep thinking I should buy a better one with my Icom 746 - but why? Audio reports are always excellent and it is very well constructed.

Like my Icom-746 ....it just does the job and keeps working and working. Great microphone.

N3RQL Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2003 14:40 Send this review to a friend
A good choice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After much consideration I went with the SM-6 and am very satisfied with my choice. I've received a number of unsolicited compliments on my audio ...and this being without any "tinkering" with the mike setting whatsoever... just left it as it came out of the box (which was set a little below half), adjusted the mike gain on my 718 for the proper ALC meter readout, and voila! Contributing to my decision between the SM-6 and the Heil icM was when I asked the salesperson at the place of purchase if he'd had any experience with the SM-6, and he told me this is the mike he personally uses. He also voiced my identical sentiments about the SM-6 being complete & all you need to buy, as opposed to optional stands/booms, handswitch/footswitch etc.(which at very least will run $20 or more than SM-6), as well as being a much "cleaner" looking connection to the rig. So in addition to the good performance, it makes an attractive and compact addition to my station, and overall I'm quite pleased with it!

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2003 19:20 Send this review to a friend
great audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
a little side by side test resulted in no audio difference between the sm-20 and sm-6.the only difference was the price tag.this testing was done with numerous hams who couldnt tell any change.go get an sm-6 for 95.00,it's a great solid microphone.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2003 12:14 Send this review to a friend
so small yet so good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this little guy for some time now, first on my IC-820H and now on my IC-910H, nothing but good audio reports, also shared with my 706mkiig (now used sp-8 on the 706mkiig).
this little guy has proven it's self many times and i do not need any other mic for my IC-910H

YY4ACJ Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2003 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Tiny Mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this mic for more than 3 years and worked pretty nice in my IC-251A (VHF base rig)... Last year i sold IC-251A without microphone SM-6,,, now i want to install it to my new FT-747 but it doesn´t work with it (no audio),,, i´m not sure if this microphone needs to be fed with DC currency to work as before

Thanks for your replies