Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-microphone Headsets | Heil Pro7 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro7
Heil Pro7 Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: The Pro 7 offers a feature set that compliments the Heil Sound standard for headset design. Unlike copies of various aviation type headsets, the PRO 7 is not a copy.

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro7.

K3GC Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2018 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Almost a 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have agonized about this review since I received my Pro 7. It is great in almost all respects. It is comfortable and I have never received so many unsolicited great signal reports. The choice of coiled vs. straight cables is great. The PTT button is a great accessory though I don't use it.

So - with so many superlatives why don't I give it a five?
The left side balance is finicky and IMO completely useless , just waiting to break off. Also, I personally find no use for the phase switch. At least it is protected.
If I could I would give the Pro 7 a 4+ but, for me, It just doesn't quite rise to the level of a 5.
KB5GH Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2018 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Good BUT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't know how to rate this one. I really like the Pro 7- They are comfortable, audio is good (but they are a bit heavy). The killer is the audio plug rubs on my collar bone. Not a little rub either. My bone is really sore after 15 minutes. The plug extends about an inch and a half out the bottom of the ear cup and it's just the right length to constantly rub. Come on Bob, you had to know this before you released them. A shorter (custom) plug would have cost you maybe $2 more on a $275 plus headset. Shame on you!
K8SAS Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2018 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Pro7  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a Proset Plus for about eleven years and it has seen better days. Jiggle this, move that and the dx switch broke. I loved that headset. Made many contacts.
I knew technology has changed, and everything improves by design, but the new Pro7 headsets I purchased are GREAT! The mic and ear speakers are remarkable not to mention how comfortable they are to wear. Good job Bob!
K1ZW Rating: 3/5 Jan 29, 2018 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Phones great/cable no  Time owned: more than 12 months
The head phones are great and very comfortable. But the "plastic block" is terrible, the coiled cord is very stiff, every time I move it drags the block across my operating position. It catches my keyboard, mouse, or the edge of the desk. I have to use tape and fix it to the desk so it doesn't move. I like Heil products, I have a goldline signed by Bob a long time ago at a hamfest in Rochester, NY
still going strong.
W4RAO Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2018 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Product: Both Transmitting and Receiving  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have been a ham for several years, I have relied on a hand held microphone and a small speaker for all of my operations. I have always wanted a headset and have been looking at the Pro7 for years, but thought I could not afford one. However, I became a fan of the Pro7 Headset while I was in Puerto Rico with the ARRL group that deployed in support of the American Red Cross after hurricane Maria. It was great having the Pro7 headsets that Bob Heil provided for our use. Before that, it was mayhem in the Radio Room. As Net Controllers (2 per shift) we were monitoring 4 different frequencies on 4 different radios in 2 different languages. It was often very difficult to hear the QSOs as a result of a combination of poor propagation and the other traffic that was occurring simultaneously, then the Pro7 headsets arrived. What a blessing. We were able to transmit and receive weak QSOs that were up to then impossible. I was immediately sold on the Pro7 headset, they are great. I ordered one for my TenTec Eagle as soon as I returned home in October 2017 and immediately saw a dramatic improvement in my RST reports.
F4FXH Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Good audio, signal and very comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started to use my Pro7 during the CQ WW SSB so I wore it for hours. It is very comfortable with the gel foam ears pad.
You can adapt the headset finely to your head.
The audio is very good.
I received 2 unsollicited compliments on my transmitted signal in less one hour today during some QSOs.
Do not put the mike too close to your mouth or the signal will be saturated.
The microphone is very directional so the environment’s noises are not sent.
Very happy with this headset.
KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2017 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Headset & Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a 8 3/4 hat size, the Pro7 works for me, good audio on transmit & receive. Use the coiled cable after using the straight cable first, like this cable better in my usage. Using the Pro7 on two different radios a Yeasu FT950 an a Kenwood TS990s, get good audio reports with either radios from stations that know my voice in person. This is the first time I have use a Headphone Boom-mic setup mostly because of tight fits on my head, can use the Pro7s for hours without the clamping feeling on my head. The Pro7s are problem free for this HAM. 5+ Very Nice....................kb6hrt
ZL2AUA Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Fine headset.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Pro 7 Icom version, and I am very happy with it. The sound isolation and the received sound are great, and the transmitted audio is also excellent.
As a former broadcaster and amateur pilot I am pretty experienced with headsets, and in my opinion the Pro 7 is up there with the very best.
The headset is very comfortable (vastly moreso than my aviation headset), and I am happy to wear it for hours at a time in contests.
I do, however, have two small caveats. Firstly, the cable is very stiff, and as it is rigidly connected to the same ear shell as the microphone boom, any scratching of the cable against (for example) the desk edge transfers itself to the mic and gets transmitted as extraneous noise.
Secondly, the receive audio has a separate lead and connector to plug into the radio, making two leads coming away from the front of the radio. But the receive audio is available at the 8-pin socket into which the mic cable is already plugged — so why not take the receive audio from that plug as well, and eliminate the second lead? (The radio's speaker can easily be muted by putting a 1/4" to 3mm or similar adaptor from the junk box into the socket.) When the warranty expires I'll probably re-wire the thing.
I can't for the life of me see the point of the phasing switch, but it's not a problem. I find listening to out-of-phase audio quite painful.
Overall, this is a fine product, and I don't regret the considerable expense.
W5LNI Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2017 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Pro-7 from Bob Hiel and am very pleased with the performance. I have used Beyerdyne pro 770 headphones for years. The Pro-7 easily equals the sound and isolation but, also has the phasing switch and the balance control. These two additions make a big difference for me. The transmit audio is also great. I received outstanding audio reports with balanced lows/highs using an Icom 781. Highly recommend this product.
W7UUU Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2017 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb headset in every way  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my Heil Pro7 headset initially to go with my new Icom IC-7300. So I went with the iC7 condenser capsule. Just using the "stock" settings of the IC-7300, I got amazing results right away. Report after report described my audio as crisp, punchy, and clean. I am able to break pileups with ease, running just 100 watts.

But if you own an older rig, don't be afraid to go with the Pro7 as well! Just be sure to order the Pro7 Dynamic Capsule instead. It's a LoZ capsule however, so you'll most likely need a LoZ to HiZ transformer.

For my Heathkit SB-101 transceiver, I used the Heil TX1 matching transformer mounted in a cabinet with all appropriate connectors (and a Bypass switch to allow the Pro7 headset to pass LoZ output if needed).

And just like with the IC-7300, I get great reports about my SB-101 audio - clear, clean and plenty of punch.

he earphone isolation is amazing - complete isolation of the outside world with great audio from the rig. The boom can be either on left or right, and the whole headset just exudes quality. It's built like a tank, and all the key parts are replaceable should repairs ever be needed. The phase reversal switch also does wonders at pulling weak signals out. Just last night, while working a station on the other side of the country, the phase switch made the difference between hearing him and not hearing him!

This is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". IMO, the Heil Pro7 Headset is simply the very best amateur radio Boom-mic headset on the market. Sure it's a bit expensive but worth every penny in performance. I've tried a few cheapies out there, but nothing comes even close to the Pro7.