Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro7 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro7
Heil Pro7 Reviews: 49 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: The Pro 7 offers a feature set that compliments the Heil Sound standard for headset design. Unlike copies of various aviation type headsets, the PRO 7 is not a copy.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro7.

F4FXH Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Good audio, signal and very comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started to use my Pro7 during the CQ WW SSB so I wore it for hours. It is very comfortable with the gel foam ears pad.
You can adapt the headset finely to your head.
The audio is very good.
I received 2 unsollicited compliments on my transmitted signal in less one hour today during some QSOs.
Do not put the mike too close to your mouth or the signal will be saturated.
The microphone is very directional so the environment’s noises are not sent.
Very happy with this headset.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2017 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Headset & Mic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a 8 3/4 hat size, the Pro7 works for me, good audio on transmit & receive. Use the coiled cable after using the straight cable first, like this cable better in my usage. Using the Pro7 on two different radios a Yeasu FT950 an a Kenwood TS990s, get good audio reports with either radios from stations that know my voice in person. This is the first time I have use a Headphone Boom-mic setup mostly because of tight fits on my head, can use the Pro7s for hours without the clamping feeling on my head. The Pro7s are problem free for this HAM. 5+ Very Nice....................kb6hrt

ZL2AUA Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Fine headset.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Pro 7 Icom version, and I am very happy with it. The sound isolation and the received sound are great, and the transmitted audio is also excellent.
As a former broadcaster and amateur pilot I am pretty experienced with headsets, and in my opinion the Pro 7 is up there with the very best.
The headset is very comfortable (vastly moreso than my aviation headset), and I am happy to wear it for hours at a time in contests.
I do, however, have two small caveats. Firstly, the cable is very stiff, and as it is rigidly connected to the same ear shell as the microphone boom, any scratching of the cable against (for example) the desk edge transfers itself to the mic and gets transmitted as extraneous noise.
Secondly, the receive audio has a separate lead and connector to plug into the radio, making two leads coming away from the front of the radio. But the receive audio is available at the 8-pin socket into which the mic cable is already plugged — so why not take the receive audio from that plug as well, and eliminate the second lead? (The radio's speaker can easily be muted by putting a 1/4" to 3mm or similar adaptor from the junk box into the socket.) When the warranty expires I'll probably re-wire the thing.
I can't for the life of me see the point of the phasing switch, but it's not a problem. I find listening to out-of-phase audio quite painful.
Overall, this is a fine product, and I don't regret the considerable expense.

W5LNI Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2017 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Pro-7 from Bob Hiel and am very pleased with the performance. I have used Beyerdyne pro 770 headphones for years. The Pro-7 easily equals the sound and isolation but, also has the phasing switch and the balance control. These two additions make a big difference for me. The transmit audio is also great. I received outstanding audio reports with balanced lows/highs using an Icom 781. Highly recommend this product.

W7UUU Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2017 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Superb headset in every way  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my Heil Pro7 headset initially to go with my new Icom IC-7300. So I went with the iC7 condenser capsule. Just using the "stock" settings of the IC-7300, I got amazing results right away. Report after report described my audio as crisp, punchy, and clean. I am able to break pileups with ease, running just 100 watts.

But if you own an older rig, don't be afraid to go with the Pro7 as well! Just be sure to order the Pro7 Dynamic Capsule instead. It's a LoZ capsule however, so you'll most likely need a LoZ to HiZ transformer.

For my Heathkit SB-101 transceiver, I used the Heil TX1 matching transformer mounted in a cabinet with all appropriate connectors (and a Bypass switch to allow the Pro7 headset to pass LoZ output if needed).

And just like with the IC-7300, I get great reports about my SB-101 audio - clear, clean and plenty of punch.

he earphone isolation is amazing - complete isolation of the outside world with great audio from the rig. The boom can be either on left or right, and the whole headset just exudes quality. It's built like a tank, and all the key parts are replaceable should repairs ever be needed. The phase reversal switch also does wonders at pulling weak signals out. Just last night, while working a station on the other side of the country, the phase switch made the difference between hearing him and not hearing him!

This is a perfect example of "you get what you pay for". IMO, the Heil Pro7 Headset is simply the very best amateur radio Boom-mic headset on the market. Sure it's a bit expensive but worth every penny in performance. I've tried a few cheapies out there, but nothing comes even close to the Pro7.

Dave
W7UUU

YV5WZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Best Headset I ever have  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought Pro-7....I was looking for good audio and best TX audio performance....I did not miss it...Pro-7 is all I was looking for casual Rag chew and constantly Dx chaser

OOpps Bob did it again !!!!

Thanks Bob

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ

N6JS Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2017 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Best Headset I've had  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned several Heil headsets in the past. The pro-7 is by far the best Heil headset that I have owned. I run a PR40 mic on my Yaesu, and with the Pro-7, I didn't have to change a single setting, and most of the guys didn't even notice that I had changed microphone. Bob has really knocked it out of the park with this one. I would strongly suggest, if you are looking for a reliable and great sounding headset, look to the Pro-7.

KB6DYA Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2017 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Heil Pro7 headset with the IC mic and cable,I feed this in to a Icom 7300 I set the radio EQ. Bass at a -3 Trebble at a +3 I get outstanding audio reports. The staff at Heil sound were very helpful. note: watch your mic settings so the alc stays correct. You will not have any trouble driving the radio.

KE8EC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Better Than Expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I researched several types and brands before selecting the Heil Pro 7 headset. When I unpacked them, I was very pleased with the overall quality of the build. In putting them on and adjusting them, wow, these are the quietest, noise abating headphones I've heard in a long time. Very comfortable earpieces. I also received good audio reports when used on my Ten Tec gear. The set was ready to go, just plug and play. I had a question about these and emailed Heil, receiving a very quick response. The phasing change with the switch has to be heard to be believed! Hard to describe but the difference when trying to pull out a faint station, well it is very good.

K5EF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2017 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Best Headset I've Ever Used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I never use earphones since, as a pre-Novice kid, all I had were the el-cheapo type one got with a Hallicrafters S-120. Your head felt like it was in a vice and one’s ears would go numb after 20 minutes. That said, at last July’s W9DYV Boatanchor Event in Tennessee, I was immediately drawn to Bob’s ultra-cool looking Pro-7s (the red one looks as sharp as Bob’s W0YVA's Ferraris). Put one on and was just blown away! It was unbelievably comfortable and all the outside noise was virtually gone. With eyes closed, signals sounded like they were ten feet tall…yet were barely moving the S-meter.

Apparently, my XYL Elizabeth saw how enthralled I was (particularly since I couldn’t stop talking about the Pro-7) that she got me a set for Christmas…..which means my XYL will be attending far more hamfests and swapmeets in the Future!

OMs, I don’t know what type headset you have now, but if it isn’t a Pro-7 sell whatever it is at a hamfest and GET a Pro-7!