Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro7 Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro7
Heil Pro7 Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: The Pro 7 offers a feature set that compliments the Heil Sound standard for headset design. Unlike copies of various aviation type headsets, the PRO 7 is not a copy.
More info: http://www.heilsound.com

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro7.

EA8KW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2016 09:25 Send this review to a friend
GREAT headset!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this headset for a month. I have to say it's a great headset. The audio this mic produces is awesome, so natural and full bodied, receiving a lot of audio compliments.
Headphones sounds very good but what impress me more is its ability to isolate you from any noise. You have to get used to this using it a few days because the first days you will feel something strange, like if you were in an empty space.
Anyway a well rounded product, very robust and seems very durable. Without hesitation this is one of the best headsets for HAM radio out there.
Thanks Mr. Bob Heil for this awesome product!.

W6HDG Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Highly Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this headset for 1 year and am extremely pleased with my purchase. The price is quite reasonable for a high end headset like this. The passive noise cancellation is superb and Bob Heil's phase switch and balance control are very useful. The headset is quite comfortable too.

The mic boom is flexible yet sturdy and my audio reports are always excellent. It was easy to dial in the EQ for very effective DX use on my FTdx3000.

Thanks to Bob for another great Heil product.

Howard W6HDG

KB3H Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2016 20:00 Send this review to a friend
"Acoustic Alchemy"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I went back-and-forth on the want/need of this purchase. It has ended up being the single best investment I've made in the shack in many years. Very comfortable, and I have come to relish the 26 dB PNR outside noise reduction with the gel filled foam ear seals. Truly allows me to escape and immerse myself in "radio-land". Full stereo dual watch with Heil phase reversal is not only an acoustic pleasure, but really helps in pulling signals out of the 'QRM ether".

Thank You Bob Heil!

N6FFC Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2016 17:25 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have had Several Headsets since being licensed in 1994, and was Extremely Impressed with the New Pro-7 Headset that I purchased in June. I currently have it paired with a "New" ICOM ProIII that had less than 40 hours of running time of use on it, The Pro-7's are nothing short of Amazing! The headset is a "Little" bit heavier than my Last Headset, However, once I got used to the Differebnce in Weight, and the Exceptiobnall Perforance if the Headset, Both the Earphones And the Great Microphone, elements, which I am getting "Excellent Audio Ol'Man" from stations that I couldn't even Hear with my old Rig and an Older ICOM 730 circa 1985...What a Difference the New Rig And headphones have made in My Making Contacts!
Kudos to Bob Heil and the Amazing People in His Employ!
These Headsets are a "Game Changer" when it comes to anyone looking for a "New" Headsets!

WT8WV Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2016 11:17 Send this review to a friend
I can HEAR again!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Dear Dr. Heil:

I have used Heil microphones and followed you for at least 25 years as a ham operator and love watching all of you on Ham Nation. I wanted to share something with you that has made a difference in my life. It is your Pro 7 Headset.

I am now 57 years old, and so are my ears. Over time, I made dumb choices about protecting my hearing when I was mowing with lawn tractors, lawn vacuums and on the shooting ranges for more than 45 years. Like most, I thought I was indestructible in my youth. Acknowledging recently that I had a significant problem, I went through the doctors hearing tests and discovered I had lost over 50% of the higher frequencies in both ears. Typical “industrial noise hearing loss” was what the frequency loss on the charts showed to be the culprit. You don’t get that back.

It was at the point that crowded rooms would force me to lean into conversations or cup my ears to hear. The low frequency rumbling sounds I still possess often confused my ears. I was told I needed not one, but two hearing aids. (I haven’t reconciled my vanity and wallet yet to get them … but know the day is coming.) I recently got back into amateur radio after a 15 year pause. I was astounded to discover how difficult it was for me to actually weed through the noise levels and pile ups on the bands and I was truly sad that my foolishness in not protecting my precious hearing had now impacted my favorite hobby.
A year ago at the Dayton Hamvention I stopped by your busy booth and waited patiently in line to shake your hand and I briefly mentioned my hearing loss and to ask if you might make a suggestion about a possible headset. The time you uncomplainingly took with me to see what might be a possible solution amazes me to this day! I know you talk to thousands of people every year but want you to know you made a difference in my life with your helpful conversation. The first time I plugged the Pro 7 in became an emotional event; I got a little misty when I could HEAR so much better with the assistance of your invention! The magic of the Heil Phase Reversal system is nothing short of awesome and difficult to describe until you actually flip the switch! I guess the best way to describe it is instead of hearing in each ear, you now hear between and in front of your eyes. I can now switch between the modes of hearing when I am trying to sort out the noise, as needed. I can’t thank you enough for giving me the fun back in amateur radio.

I want you to feel free to share my story with your staff and audiences as an encouragement to them, because while working at Heil or on Ham Nation might feel like just a job at times, your folks make a difference in people’s lives in unseen and often unrecognized ways. I can hear my radio again! Please tell them to protect their gift of hearing, too! You don’t appreciate some gifts until you lose them. I think of Bob Heil, Heil Sound and Ham Nation as gifts, as well.

God Bless all of you!

Spence Graham
WT8WV
Morgantown, WV

N7GH Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 13:24 Send this review to a friend
FD '16 & Heil... WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had a half dozen or so "cheaper" headsets and heave never been satisfied. I've been looking at Heil's for quite a while, but when I saw the new Pro 7's I decided it was time to take the plunge. I purchased a pair for FD '16 and they are nothing short of remarkable. Comfort beyond my most hopeful expectations, even over my glasses' ear pieces; unbelievable sound quality; and the ability to shape the sound with the balance and phase shift was sweet! My first group of contacts for FD '16 had 5 people talking over the top of each other, the phase shift and balance allowed me to work 3 of the 5 contacts on that 1 frequency. We were in an acoustically very bright room, painted drywall and no acoustic deadening, with 2 other radios set up, and they suppressed/muffed the other sounds in the room so I cold easily work the S1 and S2 stations. I'm completely sold on these things!

W5SEW Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2016 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Product In Every Respect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have some experience with headphones. In fact, a good deal of experience. A full career in signals intelligence collection in the USAF. Graduate of NSA cryptologic school. Videography later in life, with much time recording voice talent for video voiceovers. Video editing with Sennheiser cans glued to my ears in the wee hours of the morning, balancing music, sound effects, etc. So, with some trepidation, I bought the Pro 7iC to connect to an Icom 7600. Amazing! Comfortable! Adjustable to my needs! I could go on and on. I flat love these headphones and the engineers at Heil have outdone themselves.

Let’s talk customer service. Knew that I’d also be operating on a Yaesu UHF/VHF radio, so I sent an email to the “info” address at Heil. Got an answer back from Bob Heil himself about 90 minutes later, completely answering my question about the need to use a different mic insert and why! Is he interested in my usage? Yes. Is he interested that I have a great experience with his product? Yes. Did he personally provide specific information on who to deal with to discuss the cable, adapter, and insert to fit my exact radio? Yes, he did. Even Joe Walsh could not get better customer service than I did.

Finally, there’s the “I look good in these” factor. Our club radio shack is in a room off a busy hallway, so there is a great deal of foot traffic going by. With the door open and with my snazzy red Heil Pro 7’s on my head, I look good. I look professional. People stop by and ask me what I’m doing and who I’m talking with. Bottom line: GREAT product; GREAT service; and GREAT “WOW” factor. Buy yourself a pair and have a wonderful Heil experience!

K0HB Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2016 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Update/Correction  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got a nice note from Bob Heil, designer/manufacturer of the Pro7. In it he corrected a couple of my misconceptions. In the interest of accuracy, I will share some of his comments to correct and expand my first review of a couple days ago.

First, the Pro7 isn't based on the FARO as I thought, but uses the "mechanical parts" (my term, not Bobs') from the David Clark aviation headset line. Perhaps FARO does too, because they are remarkably similar.

Second, the speaker acoustics are not the original, but a design by Bob. Here are a couple of excerpts from his email.

"The speakers are exceptional as you have discovered. I was blessed in my early career to have been taken under the wing of the great Paul Klipsch, the father of the hi-fi industry and the folded horn speaker system. Paul taught me how to tune an enclosure to the speaker."

"I have always wanted to design a headset with that technology I learned from Paul but never had enough room in a headphone enclosure - until now. After spending nearly a year selecting just the right speaker, not some off the shelf - off the wall as all other headsets outside of Heil Sound, I took the speaker outside and did a free air cone resonance. Then I was able to mold and tune the enclosure to that speaker.."

About the phase reversal, he says...

"….and the phaser reversal…. Hans, we are the ONLY company on the planet to do this and it is THE number one feature that the serious DX/Contest operators love. It also is a great ‘tool’ for the casual operator as after long hours, changing the phase direction reduces listener fatigue. Makes things easy to listen to. Listening to a pileup, the Phaser Reversal moves signals around in your head - acoustically. Weak signals will pop out in front while others go behind. Truly a remarkable technology that I learned years ago from my days in the early Home Theatre days working with Ray Dolby and the THX group at George Luca’s Skywalker ranch."

And finally he gave me a great solution (should have been obvious to me!) to the "balance" issue that I mentioned...

"The Left Side balance was done for the many requests I get. Hans, since the boom can be move 180 degrees you can turn it to the right side and the Left Side side control now controls the right side. Simple? Of course. To do a dual control ‘balance’ would require many more wire runs left to right and I try, Hans to keep things simple to eliminate any wire breakage after years of use. You have it right, Set the radio level and THEN set the Left Side balance…. works great, Hans."

N0KVN Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2016 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Update of my Pro 7 headset  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wrote a previous post about the Pro 7 headset that i purchased.
Headset continues to preform amazingly.
This headset goes with me for EVERY contest I work and use it for tough contacts at home and portable operation.
I get through pileups using the headset because my stock mic's do not.
I have the adaptors for my Ten Tec, my TS480 and 857 radios.

Pulling weak signals out of the noise for DX and then making contact when i have no signal just LOUD clear audio to make the QSO !
What a rush, Thank You Bob Heil!

The headset system may be bulky to transport but
for me, making the contact and having the audio stay up longer during QSB conditions makes it worth it.
73 - N0KVN

WX3B Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Proset 7 & HC-74: A+ industrial strength, high quality headset  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been a fan of Bob Heil's Amateur Radio products for over 18 years - time sure does fly!! I have purchased/used at least 20 different Heil Microphone/Headsets during this time period, and most recently I have been enjoying the new Heil Proset 7. This unit is built like a TANK, has superb noise isolation (important in a multi-operator environment) and I have been able to wear the headset for hours without fatigue. Recently I was given the opportunity to test out Heil's new HC-74 Mic element with this headset and I am enthusiastic to finally find an "HC4" upgrade with the HC-74. The HC-74 has a slightly more refined sound yet it keeps that razor sharp high frequency response that the DXing and contesting community seeks. It is every bit as punchy as the old HC4 without some of the "nails on the chalkboard" harshness...

I have been using this Proset 7 / HC-74 element combination with my Yaesu FTDX-5000 and I have had excellent results.