Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS 1306 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS 1306
Ameritron ALS 1306 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$3,000
Description: Ameritron HF+6 1200W Solid State Amplifier 1.5-54 MHz . .
. 1200 Watts PEP Output, Instant Automatic band switching,
no tuning, no warm-up, SWR protected, Quiet Variable-Speed
Cooling . . . PEP FWD/REF Metering...PA Balance /ALC
Metering and LED Indicator . . . Front Panel Band/Error
LEDs . . . more!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-1306

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS 1306 .

W8SPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2018 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only having the ALS-1306 for a few weeks I can say it really works well! Very Nice for it to track the band I am operating in my IC-7300 ! I am using it on several ham bands 160-80-40 along with a Palstar AT4K Tuner ! These solid state amps do not like SWR so it is important to keep the antenna tuned properly ! The amp is rated 1200 watts and it does that very easily and will do more ! Ameritron advised me to avoid running more than 1200 watts to keep the amp linear ! Runs very cool on any mode and I've never heard the fan increase speed ! Very Nice Product and I don't think you can beat it at its price point ?I have inspected the inside of the amp and it is actually 2-ALS-600 power decks with a combiner ! The same thing was done in the ALS-600 switching supply ! Also having 6 meters is very nice and it does full power there also ! Ameritron supports their products and you can get any questions or concerns you have by Mike in amp service department ! Sam W8SPM

N5BWP Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2017 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my 2nd HF Amp. My 1st one was a Elecraft KPA-500 Watt. I really wanted to buy the Elecraft KPA-1500 but the $5999.95 price tag scared me to death. HI HI Friends told me to take a look at the Ameritron ALS-1306. Well I did, and I bought one and purchased the MFJ-998 ATU also. HRO down in Plano, TX had a price that I could live with. The ALS-1306 really well with the ICOM IC-7300 and performs well the Mosley TA-54-XLN-6 up at 55'. So, I'm going to stick with the ALS-1306 and MFJ's 998 ATU for now. Would be nice if it was full legal limit.

K3YB Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2017 06:53 Send this review to a friend
A little bump, but great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely delivers as promised. Delivers full rated power with about 40 watts in. Comrades have reported good audio and no adjacent spikes.

When first installed, all worked perfectly except the band select would not be triggered by external band data from the radio.

With the help of Ameritron, found a ribbon cable badly seated with a bent pin. Substituting another cable and works like a champ.

The folks at Ameritron are very helpful and responsive.

(I have run the amp with Elecraft K3S and ICOM 7300 and the amp fellows band data from them both perfectly.)

Only 1200 watts and not 1500 watts?

Yup.

Does it make a difference? Did a side by side on air test and the answer was... no. YMMV

I must admit, despite being an older fellow, I really like solid state NO TUNE operation. I thought I would miss tuning the old finals, but I don't! I emphatically don't!!!

I would recommend the amp highly, as well as the the help from the lads at Ameritron.

KK4WMX Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2017 09:27 Send this review to a friend
No complaints  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ORIGINAL 2/21/2017 review:
This is from initial impressions, having received it a couple of weeks ago. Everything has been consistent with product descriptions.

I purchased from HRO and shipping was very prompt. It was well packed for shipping and arrived with no damage to boxes or content. After setup & connection to 240v I ran through the meter displays & everything was spot on for normal operation.

Connection to a TS-590S via DB-DB7DK cable works as described with the amp following band changes as they occur and getting keying signal via the cable. 1200 watt output on all bands tested with significantly less than 100 watts drive (have not fully tested 6m output as dummy load SWR does not permit full power test & MFJ-998 antenna tuner does not cover 6m).

The key loop provision allows the MFJ-998 tuner to disable amp keying during tuning & high SWR. Fan noise is noticeable but not excessive. I had some issues with the MFJ-998/TS-590S rig control not related to the ALS-1306, and the key loop made a good place to insert a conveniently placed toggle switch to disable the amp before triggering TX tune on 590S without having to use the front panel standby/operate switch.

It powers up in just a couple of seconds and then is ready for immediate use. So far, all comments for on-air operations have been positive. No issues to date. So far it has met all my expectations and I am quite happy with how it works.

UPDATE 04/14/2017:
After a couple more months use, it is still running well and meeting expectations. On a few occasions it has not caught a band change from the TS-590S while using the ARCP-590 program, but a subsequent change put things back in sync. I can generally run the transceiver at 30 watts & see over 600 watts output from the amp on the lower bands.

AK5Y Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the Als-1306 from HRO (free shipping) 5 days before the WPX Rtty contest. Placed the order on a Monday and the unit was delivered super fast the following day without having to pay extra for shipping. I owe it all to Eddie Padilla as he was the one to handle to order.

I battle tested the ALS-1306 during the contest and it did just fine. It handled 500 watts plus during the long 48 long hours Contest without a sweat. The fan seems a bit noisy on high speed but, thatís to be expected. At least it lets me know the fan is running. So If you are a not a picky person then the Als-1306 is for you. It delivers as much wattage as you antenna can bear plus then some.
Will

K4TK Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2016 08:35 Send this review to a friend
I love now having a solid state amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my ALS-1306 about a month now....and i love this amp! I replaced a 20+ year old AL-80A (tube type). It's just great to be able to turn it on....and go. Spot DX on the DXcluster on another band, just go there....nothing to tune...nothing to set. I have paired this amp with a Yaesu FTDX1200 and an MFJ 998 auto tuner. When i see a spot on my laptop listed on the local DXcluster.....and i click on that spot on my laptop, my radio instantly and automatically tunes to the spot frequency and mode.....and my amp instantly and automatically tracks there too. IF my antenna isn't quite resonant (though most of mine are), put the amp in standby....hit the tune button ON MY RADIO ( i have the 998 interface cable also)...and the tuner tunes in seconds....instantly if I've been on that frequency before. Amp back to operate and go....it's just that easy.

Like others have noted, i had to learn how much drive to use on the different bands....as this amp can easily produce 1500 watts on some bands with 100 watts drive....if not a bit more (a couple of times on initial testing, my 998 shut down and said i had EXCEEDED 1500 watts!). I have a chart i made up...to show how much watts to drive on the different bands to get 1200 watts (as exceeding 1200, might cause the output to be non linear or distorted). I'm amazed that on many bands....like 20 and 40....40-43 watts puts out 1200 watts!

I do have ONE QUESTION: Initially, i set up my amp WITHOUT the band switching cable...so i initially DID use the ALC connection on the back. With that setup, adjusting the ALC on the amp....adjusts the power output. Later, i added the band switching cable....which DOES NOT use the ALC connection on the back. Now, i don't think the ALC adjustment on the front panel of the amp seems to have any affect? So what is the function of the ALC adjustment on the front ot the amp.....IF.....you are using the band switching cable and DO NOT have an ALC line attached to the back of the amp? I'm thinking, with that setup....it no longer has any function/affect?

N5LZB Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2016 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Great amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why spend $7000+ for solid stare no tune amp the ALS-1306 sells for $2900 and is a terrific amp Buts out 1300 watts and is all automatic I have had no proplems at all with this amp

ZS4U Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2016 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Good amp that delivers what it claims  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my fourth solid state amp. I have a Ten Tec Hercules as well. I have had the ALS 600S and the Yaesu VL-1000 before. The 1306 delivers 1200 watts without breaking a sweat - care must be taken as it will easily go beyond the 1200w level. The fans are much more quiet than those in the VL-1000.

The only gripe I have is the loud clanking TX relay- for an amp at this price a quiet QSK capable TX switching should have been standard.

Apart from the loud relay the amp is a solid performer.

K4SAW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2016 23:32 Send this review to a friend
Great little Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this amp in service for about 7 months now and love it. It does all it's reported to and very easy to set up quick. I've got mine paired with a Yaesu FT2000D with the optional data cable and a 6 band Hex Beam. Having the data cable makes operating so easy since it's just a point and click from most supporting logging programs and it takes you right there. Whats really nice is the 6 bands on the hex beam are resonate so no tuning is required. It's very easy to switch back and forth from standby to operate by simply reducing power from you radio and nothing required at the amp. I recommend that if possible to run it from a dedicated 240amp circuit as it comes from the factory because it does pull the amps when close to full power out put. I've run it good and it never breaks a sweat. The power supply and amp have excellent cooling fans that do a great job with minimal noise in my opinion.If you have the opportunity to buy this amplifier do so. Once you put it in service you'll never want to return to tube amps (my SB1000 is pretty lonely now) hihi. In closing if it were ever to develop problems i'd never hesitate to repair or replace it. 73 K4SAW

W1TR Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2016 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent / Convenient  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got a used (2 mo) 1306 from a Ham who loved his Drake L4B which was damaged and then fixed, for $1K below list ! I use it with an Apache Labs Anan 100d and a Palstar HF-AUTO. I wrote software to control the HF-AUTO, the ALS-1306, and my Ameritron RCS-8/RCS-10 remote antenna switches and now I have a completely automated station, just point and click on the frequency and everything else automatically follows.
I used the 1306 in the 2016 ARRL DX contest, ALL GOOD!
Software is available at: http://www.glagowski.org/radio/Software.htm