Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS 1306 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS 1306
Ameritron ALS 1306 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$3,000
Description: Ameritron HF+6 1200W Solid State Amplifier 1.5-54 MHz . .
. 1200 Watts PEP Output, Instant Automatic band switching,
no tuning, no warm-up, SWR protected, Quiet Variable-Speed
Cooling . . . PEP FWD/REF Metering...PA Balance /ALC
Metering and LED Indicator . . . Front Panel Band/Error
LEDs . . . more!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-1306

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS 1306 .

N4TZ Rating: 0/5 Feb 19, 2016 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Worked for one minute  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Looked ok - nothing rattled - put out 1200 watts on 10m for 15 seconds, 1200 watts on 15m for 10 seconds, then switched to 20m - while slowly increasing the drive, at 600 watts out it faulted.
Would not work after that.

Factory very nice when I called about service. Sent it back in less than 24 hours after receipt.
After a week, though I'd check the status. Was told four to six weeks before looking at it.

So, duty cycle of less than one minute on, 6 plus weeks off?????

Don't make the same mistake.

K9SO Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 04:39 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this amp on the air this week. I admit that I bought it with some concern about quality due to the reputation of the parent company, but this product seemed to be perfect for what I needed (HF remote operation). I got this on the air pretty quickly with my spare IC746PRO driving it.
The amp easily does everything it promises. Drive it hard enough and it does close to 1500 watts output. Limiting it to a KW seems prudent though. The ALC worked perfectly with the Icom radio.
Icom uses an analog voltage output from the ACC2 connector for band data operation. This is not an ideal way of doing things, but the 1306 decoded the bands perfectly with the accessory cable (not included). There is some confusion when operating in the remote position since several bands are shared (e.g., 10/12 etc.). When selecting 12m on the ICOM, the 1306 switches to 10m. Similar issue with 20m/17m. But in all cases the 1306 switches the correct output filters for the selected band even though it does not display it properly. This is partly the fault of the Icom analog band data output so I don't derate this amplifier because of it.
But after one brief QSO, the band data remote stopped working and was "stuck" on 20m. AHA! There's that quality problem I feared. But it turned out that the IC746PRO stopped outputting the correct band voltages. I tore apart the radio and traced the problem all the way back to the main processor. Fortunately, a factory radio processor reset corrected the problem. I admittedly didn't have a good common ground for this first test so I fixed that and haven't had an issue since.
While it may come out in second place in the cabinetry department compared to the Japanese products, it still looks good and it does what it says it will do. The manual could be improved a bit. For example, it says that the power supply can be "easily switched to 120v" operation but does not give any instructions on how to do that. But that's not recommended anyway. They've included most, but not all of the schematics ... even if they are pretty hard to read.
I had major power supply problems with the more expensive Yaesu equivalent of this amplifier. The 1306 does not need to use an auto-transformer to convert the US power standard of 240v to the Japan standard of 220v. The supply is rated up to 260v input. My power line is very slightly above the US nominal: 244v. This voltage would possibly damage the Yaesu.
Yes, the fans are a bit noisy and the relays are loud, but my only "complaint" so far is that I have to buy a space heater for the shack now that I don't have filaments to warm me up any more.
The ALS-1306 is pretty much plug and play and does everything it says it does. Now I just hope it keeps on playing.

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Great AMP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 2nd report on the ALS-1306.
I have use this amp for about 7 months now and
I can find nothing wrong with the operation.
Work 3 contest and a lot of DXing. On SSB it seems that 800 watts breaks in to pile up with no problem. On CW I use about 200 to 400 when there is a pile up or bad conditions and it seems to do the job.
On RTTY I have use up to 400 watts and have no problem. I have had no reason to go any higher in wattage with the AMP. For a solid state AMP I give it a 100 per cent. And again TNX to Mike at AMERITRON he has help 1000%

N4PY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2015 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Well Designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp is well designed with lots of build in protection. My software can automatically select the band. The amp easily puts out 1200 watts with 60 watts or less drive on all bands. I added QSK with a DX Connection QSK 2500 unit.

The fan noise is a little high but not real bad. The antenna relay is however very loud.

It's very nice to be able to put the power supply completely out of the way since no controls are on it.

KD6RSQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 15:27 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using this amp for about 2 months now and am very pleased with its performance. Paired it with a Yaesu Ft dx-3000 and the band switching interface and it works flawlessly. Great amp so far.
Chuck
kd6rsq

AK2L Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2015 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice amplifier. Duty cycle disappointing.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
SN 081.
The instant-on of a solid state amplifier is very nice, especially if you decide to use it on short notice. The fan is a bit noisy but probably normal for this size of amplifier. The unit is connected to my radio and does automatic band switching.
It has been used on SSB at full power for a few contests without a problem. Lately I have been using it for digital modes. The exciter and audio interface are set to produce 200 Watts on the output of the amplifier. The SWR on the antenna was well under 2:1.
After a particularly long transmission of about 3 minutes the amplifier's temperature sensors shutdown the PA and placed the amplifier into bypass. I would expect a 1200 Watt amplifier to be capable of sustained 200 Watt output so I am a bit disappointed.
I am going to keep the amplifier but I will operate with less power for certain digital modes that might have long transmit sequences.

WO4O Rating: 2/5 Oct 15, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Don't Buy - IF - SO2R  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don’t buy the ALS-1306 – IF – your ARS is SO2R with the BandMaster decoder and BandPasser multi-filter units. The configuration will not work, under any circumstances, due to the design of the amplifier. Because the amplifier polls other devices, it conflicts with the system and renders other devices useless. Been there, done that, and returned the ALS-1306 to Ameritron and received a full refund from the retailer. Mike at Ameritron says their working on a solution but there is no ETA.

I retained the ALS-1306 longer than expected because I was asked to try different scenarios in an effort to solve the problem. After 6 months, everybody involved with the process concluded our efforts were futile because if there is a solution it must come from a re-design by Ameritron.

WR0F Rating: 1/5 Jun 11, 2015 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Dead out of Box   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased Ameritron 1306 that was shipped after Dayton. I turned it on and went to transmit on 6 meters and the meter on amp spiked up and then nothing it went dead . I took off the top lid and while looking at connections a screw fell out. I was hoping to check it out during June contest which is why we wanted it. It does not look like it will be back from Ameritron before contest .
I should have just kept my ALS 1300 which we sold while the other amp was on the way.

W3MMI Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the amplifier for 2 months, so this is my first impressions of the amp. My copy is serial number 00068. The fit and finish is just fine with this amp, I'm getting an easy 1200 watts out on all bands with around 50 to 55 watts of drive. I also got a radio interface cable when I bought the amp, with the interface cable the amplifier changes bands right along with the radio, it's like having a 1200 watt radio. I paired this amplifier with the 1500 watt automatic antenna tuner, the MFJ - 998 Intellituner, they work very well together. I also have the interface cable that goes to the FTdx-3000 radio to the Intellituner. When I change bands, all I have to do is, put the amplifier in standby, push the tune button on the radio, put the amplifier back in operate, and your ready to go. Yes, the tube amplifiers are nice to look at, and maybe the tubes can take some abuse, but these new solid state amplifiers have all the protection circuits built in. You just can't beat the convenience of a solid state amplifier.
I've been running this amplifier about eight hours a day, seven days a week. Not a single problem, not even a fault. It just sits there and does it's thing. I generally run 1200 to 1250 watts on SSB, on the lower bands. It never seems to get hot, you can hear the cooling fans running, but they are not loud enough to be objectionable. The power supply is on the floor under the station, I don't even notice the fan noise from it, and you don't get all that excess heat that you get from a tube amplifier.

I believe Ameritron has come up with a real WINNER with the ALS-1306 Amplifier. If your looking for a near legal limit, solid state, and automatic band changing amplifier, put this near the top of your list. You won't be disappointed.

K8AC Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2015 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Well done design in a nice package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No problems after a couple of days in operation. The RF deck and power supply are separate units and can easily be moved around even by old guys like me. As expected, the claim of "quiet" fans is a bit exaggerated - there are multiple fans in the amplifier and one in the power supply and while they're not loud, neither are they quiet. The remote band switch is a nice feature, but it won't work with the Ten-Tec Orion (and maybe other Ten-Tec rigs). For that, you'll need to build the little adapter box as described by AD5X and make up your own cables. If you want QSK operation, you'll need the separate Ameritron QSK-5 box, priced around $400. The manual doesn't mention the recommended maximum power level for continuous carrier modes such as RTTY. I ran a quick test with 510 watts output into a dummy load and the PA over-temperature protection cut out after 3 minutes and 15 seconds at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees. There are also protection circuits for excessive SWR, amp combiner imbalance (there are two separate 600W amps) and having the bandswitch set to the wrong band. The amplifier operates on 10 meters right out of the box - no modifications required, and of course it covers 6 meters. While the manual includes schematics for the amplifier unit, there are no diagrams for the switching power supply. The forward wattmeter reads within 5% of my N8LP LP-100A. While the manual says the amplifier requires 100 watts of drive power or less, I didn't need any more than 60 watts to drive the amp to 1,200 watts out on any band (6 meters not tested). My Orion II shows the SWR on the amplifier input to be 1.0:1 on 160 through 10 meters.

The amplifier cabinet is 17 1/2 inches deep, but the feet will fit OK on a 15 inch deep shelf. Note that the fan exhaust is on the lower left side of the cabinet so you may not want other equipment close on that side (manual says 2 inches clearance recommended). Air intake is on the top and lower right side, so you can have other equipment mounted on a shelf above, provided you follow the 2 inch clearance. I haven't seen (on a panadaptor) or heard any birdies or hash from the switching power supply on any bands. The amp is ready to deliver full output in 5-6 seconds after turning it on. The front panel design makes for easy operation and the metering shows power supply parameters as well as forward and reflected power. The remainder of the cabinet has the usual marginal paint job (paint missing on rounded corners) and does not fit well in places. I expected better given the price.

I attempted to call Ameritron with a couple of questions, but found the telephone number provided to be busy all day every day. They do answer email questions within 2-3 days. If Ameritron had provided an interface for the remote band switching for my Orion II, I'd have given the amp a 5 rating. Overall, it's a well designed package but definitely not for the die-hard RTTY enthusiast.