Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS 1306 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ALS 1306
Ameritron ALS 1306 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$3,000
Description: Ameritron HF+6 1200W Solid State Amplifier 1.5-54 MHz . .
. 1200 Watts PEP Output, Instant Automatic band switching,
no tuning, no warm-up, SWR protected, Quiet Variable-Speed
Cooling . . . PEP FWD/REF Metering...PA Balance /ALC
Metering and LED Indicator . . . Front Panel Band/Error
LEDs . . . more!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=ALS-1306

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS 1306 .

N4PY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2015 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Well Designed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp is well designed with lots of build in protection. My software can automatically select the band. The amp easily puts out 1200 watts with 60 watts or less drive on all bands. I added QSK with a DX Connection QSK 2500 unit.

The fan noise is a little high but not real bad. The antenna relay is however very loud.

It's very nice to be able to put the power supply completely out of the way since no controls are on it.

KD6RSQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2015 15:27 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using this amp for about 2 months now and am very pleased with its performance. Paired it with a Yaesu Ft dx-3000 and the band switching interface and it works flawlessly. Great amp so far.
Chuck
kd6rsq

AK2L Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2015 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice amplifier. Duty cycle disappointing.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
SN 081.
The instant-on of a solid state amplifier is very nice, especially if you decide to use it on short notice. The fan is a bit noisy but probably normal for this size of amplifier. The unit is connected to my radio and does automatic band switching.
It has been used on SSB at full power for a few contests without a problem. Lately I have been using it for digital modes. The exciter and audio interface are set to produce 200 Watts on the output of the amplifier. The SWR on the antenna was well under 2:1.
After a particularly long transmission of about 3 minutes the amplifier's temperature sensors shutdown the PA and placed the amplifier into bypass. I would expect a 1200 Watt amplifier to be capable of sustained 200 Watt output so I am a bit disappointed.
I am going to keep the amplifier but I will operate with less power for certain digital modes that might have long transmit sequences.

WO4O Rating: 2/5 Oct 15, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Don't Buy - IF - SO2R  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don’t buy the ALS-1306 – IF – your ARS is SO2R with the BandMaster decoder and BandPasser multi-filter units. The configuration will not work, under any circumstances, due to the design of the amplifier. Because the amplifier polls other devices, it conflicts with the system and renders other devices useless. Been there, done that, and returned the ALS-1306 to Ameritron and received a full refund from the retailer. Mike at Ameritron says their working on a solution but there is no ETA.

I retained the ALS-1306 longer than expected because I was asked to try different scenarios in an effort to solve the problem. After 6 months, everybody involved with the process concluded our efforts were futile because if there is a solution it must come from a re-design by Ameritron.

WR0F Rating: 1/5 Jun 11, 2015 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Dead out of Box   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased Ameritron 1306 that was shipped after Dayton. I turned it on and went to transmit on 6 meters and the meter on amp spiked up and then nothing it went dead . I took off the top lid and while looking at connections a screw fell out. I was hoping to check it out during June contest which is why we wanted it. It does not look like it will be back from Ameritron before contest .
I should have just kept my ALS 1300 which we sold while the other amp was on the way.

W3MMI Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the amplifier for 2 months, so this is my first impressions of the amp. My copy is serial number 00068. The fit and finish is just fine with this amp, I'm getting an easy 1200 watts out on all bands with around 50 to 55 watts of drive. I also got a radio interface cable when I bought the amp, with the interface cable the amplifier changes bands right along with the radio, it's like having a 1200 watt radio. I paired this amplifier with the 1500 watt automatic antenna tuner, the MFJ - 998 Intellituner, they work very well together. I also have the interface cable that goes to the FTdx-3000 radio to the Intellituner. When I change bands, all I have to do is, put the amplifier in standby, push the tune button on the radio, put the amplifier back in operate, and your ready to go. Yes, the tube amplifiers are nice to look at, and maybe the tubes can take some abuse, but these new solid state amplifiers have all the protection circuits built in. You just can't beat the convenience of a solid state amplifier.
I've been running this amplifier about eight hours a day, seven days a week. Not a single problem, not even a fault. It just sits there and does it's thing. I generally run 1200 to 1250 watts on SSB, on the lower bands. It never seems to get hot, you can hear the cooling fans running, but they are not loud enough to be objectionable. The power supply is on the floor under the station, I don't even notice the fan noise from it, and you don't get all that excess heat that you get from a tube amplifier.

I believe Ameritron has come up with a real WINNER with the ALS-1306 Amplifier. If your looking for a near legal limit, solid state, and automatic band changing amplifier, put this near the top of your list. You won't be disappointed.

K8AC Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2015 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Well done design in a nice package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No problems after a couple of days in operation. The RF deck and power supply are separate units and can easily be moved around even by old guys like me. As expected, the claim of "quiet" fans is a bit exaggerated - there are multiple fans in the amplifier and one in the power supply and while they're not loud, neither are they quiet. The remote band switch is a nice feature, but it won't work with the Ten-Tec Orion (and maybe other Ten-Tec rigs). For that, you'll need to build the little adapter box as described by AD5X and make up your own cables. If you want QSK operation, you'll need the separate Ameritron QSK-5 box, priced around $400. The manual doesn't mention the recommended maximum power level for continuous carrier modes such as RTTY. I ran a quick test with 510 watts output into a dummy load and the PA over-temperature protection cut out after 3 minutes and 15 seconds at an ambient temperature of 70 degrees. There are also protection circuits for excessive SWR, amp combiner imbalance (there are two separate 600W amps) and having the bandswitch set to the wrong band. The amplifier operates on 10 meters right out of the box - no modifications required, and of course it covers 6 meters. While the manual includes schematics for the amplifier unit, there are no diagrams for the switching power supply. The forward wattmeter reads within 5% of my N8LP LP-100A. While the manual says the amplifier requires 100 watts of drive power or less, I didn't need any more than 60 watts to drive the amp to 1,200 watts out on any band (6 meters not tested). My Orion II shows the SWR on the amplifier input to be 1.0:1 on 160 through 10 meters.

The amplifier cabinet is 17 1/2 inches deep, but the feet will fit OK on a 15 inch deep shelf. Note that the fan exhaust is on the lower left side of the cabinet so you may not want other equipment close on that side (manual says 2 inches clearance recommended). Air intake is on the top and lower right side, so you can have other equipment mounted on a shelf above, provided you follow the 2 inch clearance. I haven't seen (on a panadaptor) or heard any birdies or hash from the switching power supply on any bands. The amp is ready to deliver full output in 5-6 seconds after turning it on. The front panel design makes for easy operation and the metering shows power supply parameters as well as forward and reflected power. The remainder of the cabinet has the usual marginal paint job (paint missing on rounded corners) and does not fit well in places. I expected better given the price.

I attempted to call Ameritron with a couple of questions, but found the telephone number provided to be busy all day every day. They do answer email questions within 2-3 days. If Ameritron had provided an interface for the remote band switching for my Orion II, I'd have given the amp a 5 rating. Overall, it's a well designed package but definitely not for the die-hard RTTY enthusiast.

AA6SC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2015 09:35 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first Ameritron product. After months (years?) of reading about cold solder joints, loose hardware rattling around inside the cabinet and so forth I read the reviews and comments about the ALS-1306 being a redesigned ALS-1300 that makes hams happy. On that basis I ordered one and am glad I did. Automatic Band Select is grand. As long as the load (the antenna and its coupler) are reasonably close to resonance, everything works well. (Incidentally, it's not only about the standing wave ratio. Net reactance should be close to zero to obtain a purely resistive load. The two go hand-in-hand. But everyone knows that, right?) While we're at it, any "tuner" (coupler) must go between the amp and the antenna, NEVER between the transceiver and the amp. It's the amp that needs to "see" a resistive (non-reactive) load. Okay. Back to the Ameritron ALS-1306 amplifier. It's easy to set up and use. Keep the excitation level low and—after tuning is complete—bring the exciter (your transceiver or transmitter) level up slowly while watching the meters on the amp. In my case, on 40 meters 24 watts at the amp's input produces 500 watts at the output. The instructions mention this. Make sure to set the Multimeter knob to REF to monitor the power reflections. (The right-hand meter's right-hand scale is marked "Reflected(W)" and that's the one to watch. That meter should move little or none when transmitting.) Yes, I'm overstating the obvious to old-timers, but a lot of newbies have joined our ranks, and need our help. I like my new 1306 and hope others will also. Tnx es 73 de AA6SC

KD0LRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great amp for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been using this amp since the 10m contest and it has worked great. I have it set up with a IC 7600 and the remote band change works great.
Just got done working the ARRL DX and it didn't give me any problems. Also used it for W1AW/0 and was able to work the pile and bring order to a giant cluster. Having 6m for VHF contesting and the built in remote band switching is what made this a great deal. Here is the best part you turn it on and go, no more waiting 3 minutes for a amp to warm up.
I have had many reports of having the biggest signal and this amp gets part of the credit.

WA6ZTY Rating: 4/5 Feb 28, 2015 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Power Limitation in RTTY mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although not mentioned in the manual or advertizing, Ameritron recommends limiting power to 500 watts in RTTY, FM, or other high duty factor modes. This came in response to my query to customer support.