Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-G707A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-G707A
Kenwood TM-G707A Reviews: 128 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Dual-band 2-meter and 450 mHz FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5012&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-G707A.

WA4ZYN Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2013 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Update: Still great! Found a separation kit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update: still love the little rig, and it's still going strong. I finally found a separation kit from Airstream, part #JTV-7. It's a little fussy to line up the connectors, but easily enough done. I'm very pleased with the result for my Honda Civic.

KB2VUQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2013 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Own 2, use them daily in each car, never a single issue in 16+ years!

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Duel band radio   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I pick this radio up to use with the DV-RPTR board for a simplex D-STAR HOTSPOT it runs just about all day and half the night. It does spend 99% on low power(5w) with a HT antenna on the back of it Does everything its needs and works great on 2m/440 analog easy to program with out software WILL pick up another on for a back up one day

M0KRL Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 04:45 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not much to say about this radio, my first dual band, solid performance, reliable, and one of the best displays I have seen. My only gripe is the rear fan, runs even on low power when the radio is cold, but apart from that it is totaly reliable and I would recommend it to anyone.

Karl, M0KRL

WD6CMU Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2011 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these. I used one as motorcycle mobile and it worked great with excellent signal reports in that terrible environment for several trips and bicycle events I patrolled. But one day it stopped working and I bought another to replace it which is still working today.

I later found a schematic for the broken one (still looking for a service manual) and discovered a SMT fuse had blown, so it is now back up and working in my trailer. Probably something shorted when the remote head was plugged into the dock. The dock has also caused some minor problems due to dirt and corrosion from being exposed to the elements on the motorcycle, so it's not quite up to that task but should be fine for mobile/base use.

W2XAD Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Much better than my TMV-71A  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new from a ham who decided that he wanted a radio that had V&U at the same time.
This radio has been as bulletproof as it gets.
The receiver is more sensitive than the TMV-71A's and gets little to no intermod.
I have never had a problem with this radio and I have owned it for about 7 years.
I just wish Kenwood's products were ALL this good!

KG5KS Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2010 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Kenwood G707A a few years ago new and has been mobile ever since. Never had a problem with it. Use it for both tone input 2m and 70cm repeaters, simplex operation. Noticed some one had problems with theirs, hate to hear that as the model seems to hold up well. I have thought about selling it for a cross band rig, but haven't done it in the last few yrs..hi However, I did get a Kenwood D710 the other day..
73 to all
Ken

AA6FE Rating: 1/5 Mar 13, 2010 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality, poor service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 707 several years ago, it would never open more than about 30% of the repeaters, when I sent it to the Service Center, they said the warrantee had expired, and yes it had but it was not far out of warranty, they wanted $70 for the service for something that was obviously a manufacturing defect, and the Service Supervisor I spoke with was rather curt to be polite about it. I can only guess he is paid by what he could save the company or its subcontract service center. When I reinstalled it, nothing had changed. On the 707 there is no adjustment for the tone level. It worked sort of for about a year and then died, it is bear to remove from under the back seat of my pickup, so as yet it has not been removed to be checked. I feel like returning it again to Kenwood is like throwing more good money away. Based on the poor initial quality and the service, I have gone to Yaesu. No More Kenwoods.

It my be I just got a lemon, but as this feature is not an adjustment or something I could control, I feel the bench tech should have seen it was a defect from manufacturing and Kenwood should have done something, anything. it was like they just sent it back to me.

WF6J Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2009 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Fine llittle mobile unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned it for 8 years. been mobile twice, loaned it to my Newphew for 3 years, got it back and into the shack.

Very easy to see display. One of the smallest remote heads for mobile. Lightweight (if you backpack) Gives extended range receive and solid operation on 144 and 430.

They are selling used for about $200-250. A bargain if you can find a Ham that wants to part with one. My 2nd favorite 2m rig. Tm-751A is my all time favorite. Best receiver on 144.

W0FAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2008 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Very good mobile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have enjoyed using this radio in my Toyota Rav 4. The small control head made finding a place to mount it much simpler.

It has worked flawlessly for several years through baking hot dashboard sun and -30 F Minnesota winters.

For the gentleman who said it was the "worst radio I ever owned", I suspect a headset-separator problem with regard to the lost tones. Remember to re-save a memory channel after changing any settings (such as programming in a tone) or it will revert to the memorized setting (no tone) the next time you return to the channel.

I rated it good rather than great because the mic attaches to the body and cannot attach to the front panel. Also, I prefer that equipment does not use little fans for cooling, but so far it has been fine.

It works as advertised, so if you can use a dual-bander that does not have two rf decks this one will be fine for you.