Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-G707A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-G707A
Kenwood TM-G707A Reviews: 130 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $350
Description: Dual-band 2-meter and 450 mHz FM mobile transceiver
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=ProductDetails&ProdID=5012&Group=5

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-G707A.

WF6J Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2009 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Fine llittle mobile unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned it for 8 years. been mobile twice, loaned it to my Newphew for 3 years, got it back and into the shack.

Very easy to see display. One of the smallest remote heads for mobile. Lightweight (if you backpack) Gives extended range receive and solid operation on 144 and 430.

They are selling used for about $200-250. A bargain if you can find a Ham that wants to part with one. My 2nd favorite 2m rig. Tm-751A is my all time favorite. Best receiver on 144.

W0FAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2008 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Very good mobile rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have enjoyed using this radio in my Toyota Rav 4. The small control head made finding a place to mount it much simpler.

It has worked flawlessly for several years through baking hot dashboard sun and -30 F Minnesota winters.

For the gentleman who said it was the "worst radio I ever owned", I suspect a headset-separator problem with regard to the lost tones. Remember to re-save a memory channel after changing any settings (such as programming in a tone) or it will revert to the memorized setting (no tone) the next time you return to the channel.

I rated it good rather than great because the mic attaches to the body and cannot attach to the front panel. Also, I prefer that equipment does not use little fans for cooling, but so far it has been fine.

It works as advertised, so if you can use a dual-bander that does not have two rf decks this one will be fine for you.

WI5O Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2007 19:13 Send this review to a friend
KW G707A Cross Band Access  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with W2MB's earlier comments about the cross band repeater operation of the Kenwood G707A. There really isn't one. If you will permit, I have an explanation about other folks comments about the Kenwood G707A and its Cross-band function.

First, the G707A allows "Cross Band Access." This is different than Cross Band Repeat. The G707A does not have true cross band operation. In chapter 18 of the user manual, it is clear ONLY that you can use the G707A to hear on one frequency and transmit on another. That is neither FUll Duplex or Cross Band repeater operation. The manual provides further instructions.

Just my two cents worth.

WI5O

==========================================
W2MB Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2007 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Review Update Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this TM-G707A in mobile operation for 2 years. It has worked flawlessly. The previous reviewers comment that "One will go into cross band repeat by itself" is puzzling since this model does not cross-band repeat.

WM5L Rating: 1/5 Apr 6, 2007 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three of these radios. All of them show some sort of failure at times. I know that sounds strange but everyone of them does something diferent. One will not tx on 440 sometimes. One will go into cross band repeat by itself, One changes the display brightness on its own as well as other things. They all do diferent things at different time with no pattern. Most of the time a power cycle will clear the trouble but not allways. Some times a cpu reset is needed. I loved them when they were working but not now. All three of them are 4 years old,bought new and are for sale now. (parts radios, of you could just put up with the problems).......Jim/WM5L

KI4TAB Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2007 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this unit on Ebay. Works great really out does my old 2 meter (kenwood 7625) Has more modes than I can ever use. Will keep this unit for a long time nothing bad to say about it.

KI6GVV Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2007 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio was the first radio I ever purchased since receiving my tech ticket last November. I am very pleased with this radio. Easy to program, large easy to read display and no problems at all so far. Would recommend

brad
KI6GVV

N1MPR Rating: 0/5 Oct 4, 2006 16:56 Send this review to a friend
This is the worst radio I have ever owned  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the worst radio I have ever owned, to start I had the radio one month and sent it back in for repair. The problem was it kept looseing the PL tone. Kenwood sent it back and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I sent it back in one week again with the same problem. This time they replaced the mother board in the radio. Well it fix that problem now the radio is looseing its audio again. Im not sure if its the PL tone or not I'm not going to bring itto a tech and have him put it on his machine and run it for awhile to see what it is doing. I would not recomend this radio to anyone. Hell the Yaesu 8100 was bad this is worse

KLEMM Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 17:18 Send this review to a friend
EASY AND TRUSTWORTHY  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS IS A GREAT RIG THAT IS EASY TO SET UP AND USE. IT HAS A NICE BIG DISPLAY FOR THE OVER 50 CROWD HIHI! IT HAS GOOD SOUND AND NEVER HEAR COMPLAINTS ABOUT MY AUDIO. THE HAND MIKE IS REAL NICE WITH A LIGHTED DISPLY IT IS EASY TO USE WHEN MOBLE.I ALSO HAVE SOME ICOM RADIO'S BUT THERE IS SOMETHING A LITTLE SPECIAL WHEN IT COMES TO THIS KENWOOD.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Simply wonderful mobile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When my trusty Standard C5718 quit working I learned that it can no longer be serviced so I needed a replacement rig. I chose the TM-G707A and am very pleased with it. As mentioned before, it is easy to program and operate. As with most Kenwood products its various functions are intuitive. The output power is as advertised and the audio on transmit and receive is excellent. The receiver seems quite sensitive and I haven't heard any intermod pop through yet either. It is a good, solid, basic, easy to use dual band radio.

PE4BAS Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Simple and good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Own one since 1998. My first VHF/UHF radio. It does the job. Has enough power. And is very simple and easy to use.