Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Timewave DSP-59Y Help

Reviews Summary for Timewave DSP-59Y
Timewave DSP-59Y Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $329.95
Description: Designed to fit in the Yaesu SP-5 and SP-6 speakers.
More info: http://www.timewave.com/dsp59y.html

You can write your own review of the Timewave DSP-59Y.

K1MMI Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2008 01:20 Send this review to a friend
A very nice unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my DSP-59Y for over 10 years and it has done a pretty nice job.
Yesterday, I was reading the manual and a light bulb went on. The unit has a MODEM that supports several Digital Modes. I wired up a cable between the RTTY connector on the 990 and the Radio Din Jack on the DSP-59Y and wired up a cable to connect the Serial Port on my Computer to the RS-232 connector on the DSP-59Y.
I have an RTTY program on my Computer and like magic I was copying the ARRL RTTY Bulletin and am able to transmit on RTTY.

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2008 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice add-on for ur FT1000D  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this DSP in the SP6 with my FT1000D for more then 3 years.
It's a nice unit but it was more to complete the FT1000D.
The DSP was working very well and you've to study the manual very good when you operate this nice add-on.
The display is somewhat small but it can be overcome.

73,Hans,PA3HGT

www.pa3hgt.nl

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2007 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is connected to my Paragon HF transceiver and it really does an outstanding job. Very good on RTTY!

One of the best audio filters I've owned.

The other reviewers and said pretty much what I want to say.

Steve, VR2XMQ

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2003 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a used SP-5/DSP-59Y in preparation for use during an extended overseas trip. The trip never happened but I (naturally) kept the gear. So far, here's what I think of the DSP-59Y (I think comments would apply to DSP-599ZX also):
* Unbelievable auto-notch performance. Nearby tones just don't exist anymore.
* Highpass/lowpass filtering is great, and especially for CW under noisy/crowded conditions.
* digital mode tuning graph is nice, tho there's already one on my processor.
* I am just a bit less than impressed with the noise-reduction. It does work, but I get a distinct 'softening' of the "t","p",and"s" sounds, which often results in a DECREASE of intelligibility. I don't remember this with my JPS NIR-10 (other than that, I had little praise for the NIR-10). Increasing 'aggressiveness" increases the softening of the sounds, while decreasing aggressiveness reduces noise suppression... I am still practicing with this issue...
* The CW 'tone changer' is just great. So's the CW 'reference tone' allowing you to match the received signal with the center of the DSP passband.

Despite the "4" rating, I wouldn't sell mine unless something AWFULLY good came along.

Dave K7NG

W6ZIP Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2002 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my unit several weeks ago in excellent condition with the SP-6 speaker for my FT-990. Overall, I am very satisfied and think it was well worth the $275 in cost me. I'm using it mostly on CW and SSB, and with more time I will attempt to test it on digital modes. My first impression was that the filtering was way too tight, but by utilizing the IF notch from the 990 it operates quite well when the bands get crowded. Stil need to experience some more operating time with this fine unit, and will post a follow-up here in a few months. I would recommend this unit to anyone who wants to upgrade their 990 to full featured DSP without breaking the bank. The combination makes for a great Base setup!!

KD1JT Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2001 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Better than I expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I explored DSP with the very first offerings from Timewave years ago. I was less than impressed, and sold the unit.

After buying my FT 990 recently, I wanted to upgrade the appearance of my shack with an SP6 and thought I'd try the 59Y. I'm not disappointed!

It matches the radio and speaker in styling very well. It works well, is very flexible, the notch filter is amazing ... able to COMPLETELY suppress a key down carrier just 25Hz away from me ... of course the filters in the rig did help too! The memory functions are useful. The user interface is little less than intuitive, but not a big deal, I'll get used to it soon enough.

I'm glad I found one, it was worth the effort.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2000 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Razor Sharp 59Y  Time owned: unknown months
I use the 59Y standalone between 3 rigs: K2, '756' and a '775DSP. I don't have a Yaesu speaker so just wired it up to feed my Icom SP20. Got the unit from the manufacturer:
www.greatriverelectronics.com and saved $200.
Best example of its' effectiveness would be listening to the massive Euro pileup going right over my head into Clipperton Island. I took the '756 and 59Y right into the eye of the storm and could easily pick out individual calls at 75Hz width (out of a solid wall of signals 15KHz wide!!) The 59Y easily exceeds all my expectations and then some...73, John K7FD

AB7RG Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2000 04:10 Send this review to a friend
A great way to add DSP!  Time owned: unknown months

I had one of these units installed in the external Yaesu speaker. Installation was straight forward, and was done in about three minutes. Boy, what a difference! I was using it with a Yaesu FT-900CAT that I had, and the difference was incredible. Not as effective as the DSP in my Icom IC-756, but pretty darn close, and it doesn't have that really hollow sound like most outboard units. My only complaint with it, and the reason why I'm not giving it five stars, is that it is too easy to bump the knobs and change say the filter bandwidth. There should be some sort of lock button on it. That and it's very sensitive, so the slightest turn and it really moves! The memory function is nothing short of awesome! It's nice to have your DSP and bandwidth settings memorized for quick recall. All in all, this is probably the best outboard DSP unit made. Too bad Timewave quit making them! My advice is to hang on to yours if you haven't upgraded to a rig with DSP built in. And hey, this unit fits right into your speaker box, looks factory, and since it's in the speaker box, that's less clutter in your shack! An all around winner!

W2EH Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2000 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Works great, worth every cent!  Time owned: unknown months
The DSP-59Y used in cojunction with the internal IF Notch of the Yaesu FT-990 Xcvr is very effective. When using the variable noise reduction of the DSP-59Y, turn on the FT-990 IF Notch and adjust the notch for maximum signal clarity. It is a powerful noise reduction combination. I believe the Timewave DSP is more than equal to any DSP contained within the HF rigs now on the market.

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2000 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Best External DSP on the market  Time owned: unknown months
My DSP-59Y is mounted in a Yaseu SP-5 Speaker. This comination SP-5 Speaker and the DSP-59Y has upgraded my FT757GX II. It has improved my ability
to pull the weak CW out of the noise levels and pile ups. On SSB the DSP has improved the quality
of the audio by being able to filter the noise out.
This DSP has saved my $$$. I now do not have to
purchase a new radio. Thank you Timewave.