Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar DL2K Dummy Load
Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Suggested Retail Price $159.95
Description: Specifications 2000 watts for 1.5 minutes Fan cooled ( switched ) Frequency range DC to 30 Mhz Internal wattmeter and analog metering
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar DL2K Dummy Load.

G3RXQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 17, 2011 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Could be better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my DL2K for a couple of years. The plus points are that it is well built and easy to use.

The downsides are that, despite Palstar having their own name printed on the 4 load resistors they all appear to be 60 ohms rather than 50 ohms. Did they get them cheap ?

The end result is a 60 ohm dummy load which gives an SWR of 1:1.2. Not show stopping, but irritating.

Also the red ink used on the meter scale has faded badly in the sunlight, and I have had to go over it with a red pen.

N3JBH Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2010 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Not bad but not perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the older unit with the switch on the rear. It was no problem i moved it myself it was a simple over sight i am sure. My complaint is it is not 50 ohms mine reads 88 ohms. still it works but do not expect to find a 1:1 match using the load

K9SQG Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Top notch! Robust.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Beefy unit with typical high quality Palstar is known for. It's dry, has a built-in fan, and you don't have to worry about an extrnal wattmeter. It's ratings are more than adequate for my testing and repair of linears. Only negative is the scaling on the wattmeter that takes some study before each use. Definately a keeper. Few companies have quality like this.

Thanks Palstar!

N2TU Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the older version of the DL2K from an estate sale, however it doesn't have some of the niceties of the newer DL2K units. It is, however, built with the same high quality as my AT4K tuner.

The newer version of DL2K Dummy Load is equipped with a thermostatically controlled fan, larger lighted meter and the coax connector in the rear.

Not needing another SWR/Power meter in the shack, I was OK with the smaller meter and a front mounted coax connector didn't bother me. I did want a thermostatically controlled fan so I called Paul.

I purchased the board required and did the modification. It works great. As I increase power, the board senses the load resistors heating up and turns the fan on full blast. While I had the DL2K open, I installed meter lamps and fused the new circuit board.

I pushed 1.5KW into the Dummy Load and the unit appeared to handle it with ease.

By the way, good old US Postal Service manhandled the shipment and I wound up with a defective thermistor. I called Paul and I had a new one in two days. No questions asked! He was great to deal with and I have an upgraded DL2K.

If anyone needs pictures of the mod or instructions, I'd be glad to pass them along. (my call at ARRL.net).

W7CNK Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2008 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Ezcellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The mechanical design is great, very solid. The fan is a bit noisy but it hard to find a fan of this size that isnít. The highest power Iíve used is 1KW and it handled that just fine. The power meter is accurate, however, I believe it should read Peak Power not Average, Iíll probably correct that issue after the warranty period. I would recommend this dummy load itís an excellent product.

PA3HGT Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2008 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Fan is noisy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This dummyload was new when i bought it from Gaga-products.(nice company!)
Good product but the fan is really noisy.
It's like a Boeing-747 is starting their engines !
For the rest good quality product and accurate powermeter,good enough for my Acom 2000a.

73,Hans,PA3HGT

www.pa3hgt.nl

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Very valuable addition to the shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After my purchase of the AT2K and experiencing the superb quality of this tuner, I could not resist and added the DL2K. It shows the same great quality and the meter seems to be quite accurate. As everything from Palstar I ever owned it is wellworth the money allthough it is not cheap. But it might save you some trouble that you could experience with other less quality products. Guess its the last dummy load I will ever need. Waiting patiently for a new model of the Palstar antenna analyzer that adds at least 6m.

K1JOS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2008 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Company - Great DL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my DL2K for about 2 years. It has worked flawlessly even beyond legal limit with key down with my Alpha 87A. Yes, the fan is a bit noisy but hey it's a DL and you're not on the air and the fan works when I pumping almost 2k into it. I recently had a problem, beyond warranty and not even a real warranty issue if it were still covered. I emailed Paul... he is very busy and you might not think he is reading but low and behold, I received a very special box by UPS within a few days. Paul knows how to stand behind his products when other companies would not even tread. My appreciation to him and Palstar for a great Ham USA company. BTW, their AT-AUTO is also one FB tuner. It memorizes all of the best matched settings with my ICOM/Alpha combination and just effortlessly tunes across bands, etc as I listen for DX and it's then all set for me as soon as I hit that xmit button on my mic. Another made in the USA perfect tank.

VE3LLL Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2008 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Not as enthused as others  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the DL2K for a couple of years. I believe I got one of the last of the models with the fan switch on the rear of the unit.

After receiving it I wrote to Paul @ Palstar expressing incredulity that the switch was on the rear and asking for advice about how best to hook up a front switch. I wasn't terribly rude, but I guess my expression of incredulity at the design was enough that my first two emails were ignored and Paul's reply to my third was inscrutable; no help at all.

I did put in a switch, and have used the unit at 200-300W since but without using the fan. As others have said, it's really well built for such loads.

However in testing an amp today I put the DL2K to work at the loads it's supposed to handle, putting in power from 1,250W to 1,950W.

First, I was quickly reminded how very noisy is the fan in this device (the fan must be used when power exceeds 500W). Chances are, NOTHING else in your shack has ever made so much noise. It's about 3-4 times as loud as a Drake TR7 supplementary cooling fan, if that helps you imagine it. If not, think "jet engine", you won't be TOO far off! Great strides have been made in cooling and cooling fan technology (compare your new computer to your old one!) but they haven't been found at Palstar.

So the fan was on, and use was well below the load curve printed on the front of the unit. Loads were rarely applied for even 30 seconds, while the unit should handle 2kW for 60 seconds and lower loads for longer.

Under these loads the unit smelled quite strongly of hot resistors. As I said, it was first time at these power levels, but even after repeated use with minutes of cool-down time between each use, the reek was very noticeable and worrying. And after about fifteen minutes of total use (maybe 3 minutes of that was loaded time) I reached up to turn it off and found the case VERY hot to the touch; you would not be able to leave your hand on it for long. Despite all its noise, the fan doesn't seem to keep up.

This experience suggests that this device is maxed-out at quite a bit less than its advertised capacity. If you are routinely dealing with legal-limit or higher loads, you might consider something else, maybe even Palstar's 5000W unit (but only if it has a quieter fan.)

K2MK Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2007 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my DL2K. As stated by others, there is a front mounted fan switch and light switch. It's a nice solid piece of equipment and I was able to mount my two position antenna switch directly to the SO239 connector on the rear. That helped clean up some cables. I'm only running 200 watts but when I moved from the basement to an upstairs home-office the XYL wouldn't let me bring up the old Heathkit Cantenna. Just too messy looking. This unit works great with the added benefit of having a lighted power meter. The fan sounds quite powerful but doesn't appear to be needed for 200 watts.

When I showed the XYL the improvement she had thought I was kidding when I said it was a dummy load. But those words are printed right on the front panel. Unfortunately "Dummy Load" has become her new nickname for me. It makes up for my ten or more nicknames for her.

Don't hesitate to purchase this device. It's a well made and attractive addition to the shack. And no oily mess. Make the XYL happy and you too could receive a new nickname.