Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar DL2K Dummy Load
Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Suggested Retail Price $159.95
Description: Specifications 2000 watts for 1.5 minutes Fan cooled ( switched ) Frequency range DC to 30 Mhz Internal wattmeter and analog metering
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar DL2K Dummy Load.

KE0XS Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2007 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Very Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my DL-2000K today and put it through the paces with my LK-550. Handled every power level I threw at it. The fan really cools the unit down quickly. My only recommendation is that they consider a different plug for DC power. Mine was loose in the socket and I had to wrap a piece of electrical tape (as a shim) around the shaft of the plug so that when inserted it didn't move around and pull out so easily. Great Unit. I will be installing a thermo switch this week to automatically turn on the fan.

W0NGS Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2007 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit and no messy oil  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my DL2K yesterday and the first thing I noticed was how well it was packaged for shipment. Not a scratch or dlemish on the unit. Once unboxed I just had to take the cover off and peek inside. I was really impressed by the quality of workmanship. Nice features are the fan/lamp/and range switches are well marked and mounted on the front panel. This unit replaced a old Cantenna by Heathkit and a oil filled load by MFJ both I have used for years but was getting tired of cleaning up the oil mess when they leaked. Only changes I would add is to put a handle on the top, and a thermostat mounted near the resistor stack which would turn on the fan when needed. I will probably add the thermostat myself before mounting the unit in the radio stack. All in all I am impressed with my first Palstar purchase and look forward to seeing other products from the company in the future. And it's made in the USA.

NT4I Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2007 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my DL-2K for about 3 years now and had one problem. The SO-239 connector spun loose and the wire connecting it to the resistor bank broke. The wire was a little light for the application (in my opinion). In any event, I tightened the SO-239 and re-soldered a heaver wire and it has been fine since. I also think the meter, switch and connector could have been laid out in a more user friendly manner. Other than that, I have not burnt it out yet HI HI.

W3ADC Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2007 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recieved about 2 weeks ago and the new model has the fan switch on the front nice addition to the hamshack.

W8JHA Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2006 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy the oil can  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with KQ4KK - Dont buy the oil can. The DL2K is a nice, reliable unit.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I almost bought a MFJ for $30 less! The Palstar is quality construction and execution. I bought mine new, in the box, thru a eBay reseller for much less than direct from Palstar. But, the eBay reseller had it shipped direct from Palstar, with full warranty.

Yea, would be nice if the fan switch was on the front instead of the back. The illuminated meter seems to work well. It even came with a 1amp wall wart to power the fan and bulb.

Buy this, instead of a oil can or something from MFJ.

K3BOY Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2006 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Top quality dummy load  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This dummy load was a nice addition to my shack. I was very impressed with the quality design, construction and good looks. Things like nylon washers under the machined cabinet screws (not cheap self tapping sheet metal screws) and even the chassis has threaded inserts for the cover screws It is nicely finished and electricaly performs as one would expect of a dummy load. The resistors are non-inductive and exhibit no vswr for tuning up my rigs. The built in dual range illuminated wattmeter (500 & 2500 Watts full scale) also adds a nice touch. The unit has a built in fan to keep the resistors cool when using higher power.

The only very minor nit that I have is that the fan switch is on the rear of the unit. A label on the front panel says to turn on the fan when over 500 watts. It would be nice if the fan would turn on automaticaly when the range switch is pushed for the higher power range.

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2006 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Does what it does well.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For amateur radio use I don't think you'll find a better load.
The newer models have an illuminated and enlarged dual range
meter that seems to read right on the mark. The construction
is very high quality, it is nicely finished.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2005 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as an "overkill" dummy load for my 20M Comtek based 4 square. This is used when the 4 square "dumps" power.

Built like a tank with very smart engineering. The people at Palstar are also very much customer oriented.

VE3KKU Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2003 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice high quality piece of gear, you won't find a larger capacity, more solid dummy load, but I agree with several of the other reviewers:

1. Switch should be moved to the front.
2. Meter is virtually useless.