Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar DL2K Dummy Load
Palstar DL2K Dummy Load Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Suggested Retail Price $159.95
Description: Specifications 2000 watts for 1.5 minutes Fan cooled ( switched ) Frequency range DC to 30 Mhz Internal wattmeter and analog metering
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar DL2K Dummy Load.

KB0GU Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2003 23:21 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine after purchasing Palstar's fine AT4K tuner. Nice combination, the tuner and the dummy load. As others note it is excellent piece of equipment. Only two, well three improvements I would and have recommended. The power meter on the front lacks an illumination lamp and the high end of the power range is squeezed together making it more of a relative power indicator rather than any precision measuring device. Neither of these two ideas defeat the units purpose but would make it an even more valuable device to have. I can install a small meter lamp or LED and other RF power meters in the shack give better RF power indications. As a final thought, perhaps it would be easier to either front mount the fan on/off switch, as I have to get up from the operating position to reach to the back of the massive case to turn on the fan, or better yet have it automatically trip on based on the power input or heat from the resistor bank. That said, this is a great dummy load that matches their tuner line and compliments the station nicely.

N0SP Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2003 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Built to last forever... Works GREAT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I decided it was time to replace my smelly messy MFJunk dummy load. The resistance measurement in that load had long ago drifted from close to 50 ohms to over 60. Later I purchased a small "dry" load and promptly melted it. After enjoying superb performance from my Palstar R30 Shortwave Receiver and the AT1500CV antenna tuner I knew Palstar's offering would be a good one. When I saw the DL2K at Dayton I grabbed it.
It performs perfectly... The meter is a nice addition and the chart on the front panel elminates guessing how long you can run it eliminating the need to keep the manual around.
The previous review did justice to many good aspects of this unit. I don't want to duplicate all the comments here, but I want to emphasize the ATTENTION TO DETAIL that went in to the DL2K.

1. The number of fasteners used to hold the cover in place are twice what is needed.

2. Screws are black annodized and are fitted with syntnetic washers to avoid scratching the excellent thick black wrinkle finish.

3. The INSIDE of the top cover is also painted like the outside with the area around four of the cabinet screws masked to bare metal so as to insure it remains grounded to the chassis.

4. THICK robust metalwork.

5. The chassis itself is electroplated on inside and outside surfaces.

This unit is certainly more $$ than the gallon of oil you buy for $30, but consider:
NO smell.
NO mess.
The risk of spillage... If the can of oil gets turned on it's side the oil leaks out the vent hole and the edges of the lid. Just where in your house would you like to spill a gallon of oil??
The cheap can of oil takes a LONG time to cool off once you get it warm. The DL2K's fan cools the unit quickly. And, I might add, will warm the shack nicely if need be.

These days the attention to detail and heavy construction is very refreshing. This will be part of the shack as long as I'm on the air. It's one of those things that you purchase knowing you'll never have to deal with the issue again. SOLID!
Dennis
NØSP

KB0ETC Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2003 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is absolutely the first and last dummy load you will ever need/buy.

Will handle 2KW for a full 1.5 minutes with the fan on.

I only run a barefoot station and appreciate the substantial build and quality of this unit that should last through all the station changes over the next several years.

Adequate chassis venting for cooling through a robust heavy aluminum chassis (top and bottom vented). The chassis feet keep this guy from moving around. The fan is a large although a little noisy, it will move a lot of air that is needed to cool the resistors under high loads!

Wattmeter is a nice feature and reasonably accurate. Thought it is a little on the small side, but a nice feature you don't find in many dummy loads. I guess I am used to large meters, like on the tuner and my other SWR/Wattmeter’s.

I felt it is built a little backwards for my station. The input R.F. connector is in the front and the power switch for the fan is in the back. Wish it was the other way around for my installation.

Came well packaged, this is not some cheesy little products. Don't be fooled, it is rather large! It is a price piece of gear in my shack.

Great engineering and attention to detail on the build.

Stop messing with those cheap dry dummy loads, and those heavy/messy oil filled ones.

If you put as much effort and attention to detail into your station as I do mine, get the right piece of equipment the first time and do it right. I was raised that if you can't do it right the first time, don't do it at all...

As radios and equipment come and go over the years the Palstar tuner and DL2K will probably be the only original piece of gear that will have lasted trough all the trials and tribulations you can put them through...

You don’t find gear built like this anymore, stop throwing away your money and get the best! This thing is build like the old equipment used to be. No tinny cabinets, solder clumps, or cheap components here. You shouldn’t have to open the case of a piece of equipment and inspect it before you put it on the air, or have to repair or fix it like many other products. I won’t mention any other manufacturer names… We all know who I’m talking about.

All and All, 5/5+ you can't build on perfection. Paul and Eva are great to work with, and have the product to back the claims.

If I ever get up to Ohio, I’d like to visit their company and thank them personally…

Give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

M0CEL Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2003 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Very nice piece of kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The DL2K is built like a tank and does it's job admirably. The fan and wattmeter are a nice feature as well. I've not owned it for very long, but the DL2K is definitely built to last and will most likely be the last dummy load I'll every have to think about buying.

KD5FOY Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2003 22:07 Send this review to a friend
The Best!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one for perhaps 18 months. I learned to tune my first amp using it and it has taken everything I have thrown at it and kept on ticking. Buy one if you want the best!!!

AB2EZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2003 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Great products!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a very well built product that can take high power for long enough to fine-tune your amplifier. Palstar makes great products and Paul provides great customer service.

KE5UT Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2003 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this dummy load when I got an amplifier. SWR is 1.2:1 from 160 through 10. It has a fan built in, and who would have thought, a wattmeter, whose readings favorably compare to the WM-1 on the high power scale. Overally, nothing bad to say at all. It does its job admirably.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2002 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Best high power dry dummy load on the market!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We don't think a whole lot about dummy loads until one burns out on you! That happened to me with MFJ's dry "high power?" dummy load. It can take legal power for 10sec. Ever try to final tune an amp in 10 sec? The DL2K has plenty of head room for a legal limit amp. You can key down the amp at full legal power for a full minute before overheating becomes a problem with the DL2K dummy load. If you can't tune an amp. in that time you should probably not own one! Bottom line. Best high power dummy load on the market today. No other company comes close to building a reliable, safe, high power dummy load.

NT4I Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2000 19:57 Send this review to a friend
I tried the rest, now I own the BEST!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DL2K dummy load/watt meter is the best ever and I have tried them all! In tradiation with ALL Palstar products, this dummy load/watt meter is built like a tank and priced very reasonable. When I called for further information, I spoke with Paul the owner. He answered all my questions and was a pleasure to deal with. Customer service was excellent! I ordered the DL2K and received it a couple days later as promised. No delay here! To sum it up...GREAT PRODUCT. Vince-NT4I