Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-257 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-257
Yaesu FT-257 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $135.00
Description: The FT-257 is a compact, simple to operate handheld radio
that provides up to 5 Watts of RF power, along with loud
audio output (800 mW) for the 70cm amateur band. The FT-257
ruggedly constructed water resistant body is sealed tight to
meet IPX5 protection requirements. It is packed with popular
and valuable features demanded by Amateur Radio operators
around the world.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=D685DF60E99CAC4984F497203DD091A7&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-257.

KF2AX Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Simple Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also own the 2M version of this radio (FT-252) and all attributes apply to the 70cm model:
After owning several HT's over the years which I forgot how to program after not doing it for a few months, I was in search of simplicity. I really like this radio for the simple & logical menus, ease of programming and straightforward operation. The build quality is excellent and I really like the fact that there are very few accessories to purchase. There is no jack for a speakermic/earphone so that is not an option, there is a cradle charger but it is not a rapid charger so that's a matter of choice. A cigarette lighter plug is available if you need. I bought an extra battery and anyone who complains about having to plug it in (like a cordless phone battery) is splitting hairs. The battery is very small and easily pocketable if you need a spare. Yaesu has done something similar with the FT450 HF Rig where practically everything is already included and the options list is very sparse. Great job Yaesu. For $75.00 this is an absolute bargain and an upgrade in quality if all you ever used was a Baefong or Wouxon product.

KB3DBF Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2015 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate, interesting features and some short comings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this radio as a gift. I had wanted to try a UHF monobander as an option as there is heavy UHF activity in the area where I work.
This HT has proved to be very easy to operate, as advertised. Programming is very simple and once familiar with the process can be done on the fly very easily and quickly. I love the large display and backlight options, it helps for mobile use.
I am not a receiver expert but it seems that is has a decent receiver with a good balance of sensitivity and selectivity. Some intermod present when traveling through metro areas. One odd thing I noticed is while scanning, when finding a signal there seems to be some sort of 2 stage squelch, after finding a signal it stops and then seems to open further after a second or two. Could be my unit or part of the design.
Radio feels great in the hand, fairly large and ergonomically correct for my large hands.
Battery life is okay, wish it had a larger capacity Lithium-ion. My Baofeng UVB5 has much better battery life at a fraction of the cost. No option for a double-A battery pack from Yaesu. There is also no jack for headphones/earbud. This is not an issue for me but some operators need this. The audio from the 800mw speaker is excellent, with good tone quality and loudness for noisy environments.
If you need a mono-bander that is easy to use and program without software, this is a good option. Yaesu also makes this HT in a 2m version if that is your band of choice. I wish Yaesu would make this in a dual band, 2m/70cm version, what a great rig that would be!