Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Amertron AL 800 Help

Reviews Summary for Amertron AL 800
Amertron AL 800 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,699.95
Description: 1250 W Output Linear Amplifier w/ Single 3CX800A7 Tube on 110V for US
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=AL-800

You can write your own review of the Amertron AL 800.

WA8NSS Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2017 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Superb tabletop amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new in 1997 serial #005! Silky smooth tuning this amp puts out gobs of power, has an excellent grid current protection circuit and is easily modified to add secound tube if you so desire. Using same ps as h model actually overbuilt for single tube. You dont hear much about these amps but a real gem so if you can find one used dont hesitate.

K6ELE Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The AL 800 replaced an AL 811 as I wanted more power for RTTY use. I looked for some time for a used amp that would fit my budget. Mine was a year old when I got it used for a very reasonable price. The amp easily puts out 1250 watts on SSB and 600 on RTTY. It takes from 50-75w drive for full output, depending on the band.I installed a thermostat on the blower so that it runs on a lower speed until the temp rises above 110F in the tube compartment. On SSB the fan never runs on the high setting and the amp is very quiet. The grid protection circuit works great to protect the 3cx800a7 and I have only tripped it a couple of times. Tube replacement cost can be an issue, so I picked up a good medical pull for $175 that I keep as a spare.

W7VP Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2009 08:20 Send this review to a friend
A good Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Saga of the AL-800

I have had this AL-800 for more than ten years. It has served me very well and so the difficulties I have had with it recently do not dampen my feelings about it. I still give it high marks, subject to small nuisances.

A couple of months ago it started to act up. First it started to arc in the power supply ending with the failure of a filter capacitor. I replaced that filter capacitor which was a problem since Ameritron no longer carries the original 380 mFd at 450 vdc capacitors. The power supply continued to act up and in troubleshooting I discovered an open bleeder resistor. At this point I replaced all of the bleeder resistors and all of the filter capacitors. That required me to purchase six new 470 mFd at 450 vdc capacitors from Ameritron and new bleeder resistors from a local outlet. (VETCO).
Everything went along well for a few weeks until last week I came back into the shack to discover the amp, which had been on, off. A fuse had blown while I was getting coffee. In troubleshooting I discovered the metering circuit was bad. The forward power needle and the ALC set needle were pinning negative. Troubleshooting was difficult since the metering board is difficult to reach. Examining the metering board required removal of the front panel and unscrewing the board and the metering switch that holds it to the front of the chassis. However the KM234 quad op amp can be replaced without removing the board so initially I replaced it. The result was to cure the problems with the ALC circuit but now the forward power needle was pinning positive and the reflected power needle was pinning negative.
Next I removed the metering board so I could inspect the remainder of the board and discovered that Q302, the emitter follower for the forward power, was cracked and the tantalum capacitor tied to the emitter output was completely smoked.
After some other unnecessary difficulties (washer fell into HV supply during disassembly of the metering board and caused an arc on startup requiring replacement of the LM324 and its socket as well as the 2n3904 I had just replaced) the repair worked and the rig is now functioning properly.
One note of warning. The NPN emitter followers in the metering circuit are not labeled correctly. The voltage supplied to the collectors is +12 volts not 12 volts. Most techs will recognize that an NPN emitter follower is fed with positive voltage not negative voltage.
So this venerable old rig is now working, hopefully for some more years.
Finally I noticed that the serial number sticker on the amp had fallen off at some time and I have not seen it. Be sure to check yours and so that it does not come off since it is merely glued on.
Bill
W7VP

KA1SA Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2008 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the AL800H without one of the 3CX800's. As a result, it is overbuilt for the power it runs -- which is close enough to the legal limit. On SSB, the amp runs cool and clean.

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Love the amp. Hate ameritron!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a new AL-800. I can not understand why they ship a 60lb amp with a 32lb transformer installed. We older hams have to grunt and strain to move it around. It can also cause shipping problems, which it did in mine. It was DOA when I got it. To make a long story short a relay armature jumped out of its slot. I fixed that problem and closely inspected the amp and fired it up again.

It worked fine. It is better than the specs and produces a real clean signal. It is a neat small package for a near legal limit amp. You will not believe how easy it is to tune and how little drive it needs.

It beats my 572 and 3-500z amps

Why a 5? Good question. I now have 5 Ameritron amps and love them all. Whose problem was it...UPS? Ameritron? Me? Hard to say not enough evidence, so thats why a 5.

LA9BM Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2007 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Solid Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my AL-800 brand new for 1 1/2 year ago. The amplifier is great! Solid equipment, easy to tune up. I love the owerload protection when I am transmitting on a wrong antenna. Working well on all band incl. WARC (160 - 10 meter).

WB4PAP Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this Amp. It puts out a strong 1250 watts wired for 220V and it's small size makes it easy to put on the desk top. The fan is noticeable when operating but the amps cooling system works great as a result. Place the amp off to the side and it'll be fine. The protection cicuits in this amp make it idiot proof and work well to protect the tube final from being overdriven. Ameritron service is excellent in my experience, always willing to help and answer questions. You can spend a lot more for a "big name" amplifier if you like or you can put that money to better use in antennas or station accessories. This amps a "workhorse", parts and service are readily available and Ameritron stands behind the product. Signal reports are always good, no RFI or spurrious emmision problems at all driven to full power, what more could you want? I own two Ameritrons and both have given excellent service.

73's

Tom, WB4PAP

K4SKW Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2005 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Fantastc Amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned this amp for some time and it has been great. I get tremendous on-the-air reports and consistently puts out 1250 watts PEP on 20 meters. This is one tough amplifier!

KF9VH Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2000 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp for the price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this amp for over a year. It works great on 110 volts and produces 1250 pep on 75 meters. It is easy to tune and a pleasure to operate. The only down side is the 3 miniute warmup time.