Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | CountyComm GP-5/SSB Help

Reviews Summary for CountyComm GP-5/SSB
CountyComm GP-5/SSB Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Portable SWL receiver w/SSB

You can write your own review of the CountyComm GP-5/SSB.

WB4WTN Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2015 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Better Than I Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this radio more out of curiosity than need. I've been pleasantly surprised at its performance.

My daytime benchmark for MW is WAAX Anniston, Alabama with a daytime signal strength at 5KW, just over 100 miles from my home QTH near Atlanta. With the supplied AM antenna plugged in I able to hear it. FM reception is also satisfactory. On Shortwave, using just the installed whip I get arm chair copy on Radio Havana on 5025KHz and 6000KHZ, Radio Nacional da Amazonas on 11780 and Radio Australia on 9580.

Reception on the hams bands is also good. Again, using the installed whip, I can copy most of the stations checking in on South Coast Amateur Radio Service on 7151KHz.

Bill WB4WTN

W4OP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2015 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this receiver for a month now. Primarily used bedside. For HF I plug in an external short dipole and it works very well. The manual does not explain that the external AM antenna input also works for HF. Minimum discernible signal on AM and HF is right around -125dBm. The form factor is wonderful- about like a TV remote control. I use 3 AA NiMH batteries and a plug in USB port charger.

A very well thought out firmware design. I could not be more pleased. The only thing I added was 4 very small stick on rubber feet to the back side of the receiver.

Highly recommended at $79 from Universal radio.

Dale W4OP

KK6DAC Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this little gem a couple of weeks ago and wow, it's very impressive. It has both a built-in whip and an external antenna input. I made a 2.5mm audio type plug to SO-239 pigtail for it so I could see how it performed hooked up to some of my HF antennas. This weekend I had it hooked up to my home built 40/80m NVIS antenna and was listening to the Jefferson Noon Net. The sound quality was great for such a little speaker and with the beat frequency oscillator, I was able to "tune" the signal so it was very clear. Even with the built-in whip, the reception was quite good, although obviously not as good as my NVIS antenna.

For $80 this thing is a bargain and I've actually ordered a second one, so I can keep one in my EDC bag for daily use and the other will live in my go bag.

K1RRR Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2015 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for 1 month and it works surprisingly well. Using the internal antenna in CT I can receive many stations on the 80-10m SSB bands. The BFO works well and will fine tune your ssb signal.SW and MW/FM work well also. If you want a small SSB portable, $79. that really works you cannot beat this radio for the price. It is very easy to store signals into memory and once you set up ranges for the ham bands it is very easy to go fast to various segments on each ham band. The quality and fell is excellent for a radio at this price.

W3OWL Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2015 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Didn't Work Well for Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really wanted to like this thing, but it was virtually deaf on HF, no matter what kind of external antenna I tried. Strong amateur signals on my Icom rig were pretty much absent on the CountyComm. Even WWV, on all frequencies, could not be heard. MW/FM performance was fairly average. The radio has been returned to the retailer.