Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730A
Icom IC-2730A Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $499
Description: 50 watt VHF/UHF mobile with dual display.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/2730a/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730A.

KE6BQW Rating: 4/5 Jun 9, 2016 07:50 Send this review to a friend
INITIAL IMPRESSION  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot of the reviewers here are asking too much from the least expensive detachable faceplated radio (from the top three manufacturers: Icom, Yaesu, Kenwwod).
Please do your research before buying. Most of the new cars now are so filled with amenities that you do not have room to hang a whole radio anymore hence detachable faceplates are more convenient, BUT everyone have their own particular way of mounting the parts so Icom is optioning parts you might not need and definitely could lower the price this way not selling you parts you will never use.

I bought the basic set, no mounting brackets as I just velcrowed the main unit under the seat carpeting and the detachable faceplate mounted by RAM Suction mount($40 vs the $80 Icom suction mount) google this RAM-B-166-A-111U, Its what I use with little drilling, Ill make it mount the faceplate.

I like the display as Im getting old and my eyes will need the bigger fonts. I wish the dimming at night could go a little farther to the dimmer side as it will still be bright for dark country roads.
Also the Memory Writing feature is a little too cumbersome for me than what Im used to with Yeasu and Kenwood... less number of button pressing. This radio needs more button pressing to write a frequency and its settings into a memory channel.
My other radio in the other truck is an old TM-733 dual band.

This radio is one of the few that can display and receive VV/UU in the less than $300 price rage

This is JUST my INITIAL review as Ive only have it for a week. I will follow up with another comprehensive one after 8 months of use.

N4GDX / KE6BQW / 7J1AYO/ NN0 COE-10

G3YVY Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2016 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased now I've sorted the fan noise.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I find my 2730e an excellent radio in most respects.
The Icom free software is very easy to use. The only reason I have not given it 5 is because of the horrendous fan noise. There are a few fans can be fitted instead of the cheap Chinese one which has ben fitted (32.5dba) and dose not reduce the airflow too much. One is the "SilenX iextrema 40" ( 14dba & 6cfm). This is a very quiet fan available in Germany but can be ordered in the UK. A fan which is a bit nearer the original spec is an MC36285 7.7 cfm & 21dba or the Sunon MB40201V2-0000A99 also 21dba. The latter 2 are a bit noisier but not as much as the original one fitted. As I have my front panel mounted to the control unit on my desktop, there is no way I could stand the original fan noise. I bought mine 2nd hand at 100 less than the Dealer price & the mounting bracket was also included. So my old reliable FT-8800 has been put back in the cupboard & I will be using the Icom from now on.