Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Icom SP-33 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SP-33
Icom SP-33 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$89.95 and up
Description: Speaker that was made for the IC-7700 and IC-7800

You can write your own review of the Icom SP-33.

N4UE Rating: 2/5 Jan 15, 2017 13:06 Send this review to a friend
My FINAL comments  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I 'fixed' this speaker today. As I mentioned in my other review, this speaker has been the most disappointing product I've ever purchased in 55 years as a ham.
I also just posted a review of the newer SP-38 which matches the R8600 and IC-7300.
I DO understand every ones hearing and preferences are different. Also, everyone BUT me loves theirs.
I thought about just throwing it out, so today I thought I had nothing to lose by dissecting it.
These speakers are glued together. Once I got the speaker itself out, I was surprised at it's small size. 8 ohms, 3W. I found several possible canidates and did some side by side tests and found one that sounded MUCH better. Unfortunately, the mounting scheme was quite different so major surgery was required to the enclosure. The replacement is 4 ohms, 10W. I also added some acoustic foam inside.

Bottom line?
Everything went back together and looks original, but more importantly, sounds exactly like my new SP-38. That said, it's now a 4.....
Good but not 'great'.

ron
N4UE

WB9VKM Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2016 18:03 Send this review to a friend
Its true  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using a ic730 I got a IC 7200, the audio from that little speaker on the 7200 was horrible compaired to the 730 , so I used the 730 more and didn't use the 7200.So after reading the reviews I got a sp33 speaker. Opening the box I was surprised - the quality of years gone by. Better yet when mated to the 7200 the audio is so much better even with the filters turn on. Its got my vote. The 730 has been almost retired ,for now.

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Still loving it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am glad to see that there are others starting to enjoy this speaker. When I first posted I had operators emailing me and asking if I was just shoveling the smelly stuff. I emailed back saying the same as here, I love this little speaker in fact I am sure that the other reviewers will say the same. That it is hard to listen to anything else. I am still amazed at the detail that it does on the received audio, if someone's audio is not right you will pick it out, and when something can make static noise almost sound pleasant what else could you ask for.

K7NA Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2016 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice Fit and Finish!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nicely manufactured speaker that does not take up much room on the operating desk. For its diminutive size, it has a nice range of highs and lows that makes it a pleasure to listen to. At present, I have the SP-33 hooked to my TS-590s with pleasing results. My other speakers are a Sound Sweet and a large old Hammerlund HQ series unit. My SP-33 easily sounds as good but at less than half the size. The SP-33 is solidly made and a worthwhile purchase at a good price.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Packs a punch!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked this speaker to my TS-990S (and IC-7300) with stellar results. Excellent presence, punch, and bass response making it a great communications speaker. Wooden box, small footprint...but don't let the size fool you. A very nice speaker!

John K7FD

AD5VM Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2016 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Finally, the perfect speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My search is finally over. How the #$%@ does this thing only have two reviews??? I don't know how else to put this.. if you don't have one, get one. Makes SSB sound like AM, makes AM sound like FM. I'm actually sitting here worried that Icom will stop making it because nobody is buying them and, something will happen to this one and I'll spend the rest of my life ticked off that I didn't buy several and store them in the gun safe...
... screw it, I'm ordering a spare right now.

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Amazing sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My favorite external speaker was the Palstar SP-30H which sounds great. Upon listening to the Icom SP-33, my initial reaction was "WOW". Like the previous review, this little speaker sounds better than anything I've heard. I'm amazed at the richness and quality coming from this speaker. No spec sheet is included in the box, and not available on Icom web site. The new model is still a bit of a mystery, but it is an awesome little speaker. IMO, a great buy for the money.

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2015 12:33 Send this review to a friend
What a suprise!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would like to start by saying that I am very picky when it comes you sound. I use to be a Stereophile back when I had the room and lived in area that I would not drive the Neighbours nuts.
I have reviewed a couple of speakers on eHam and I gave them both 5's ( Yaesu SP-2000 and Palstar SP-30H )and I still stand by them but when this little speaker left me with my mouth open. I can not believe that it had no reviews and does not seem to be known very well. The speaker is nice and small 6.5"H x 5"W x 5.5"D with a nice high gloss trim on the front. It is made of MDF and is totally sealed and are the two factors that I believe makes it the BEST external speaker I have heard. The tone and full body sound is great and the reproduction of details it picks up in the audio is just well I did not think that I would find a speaker that would do that. I have used many different speakers. Quick list.

Palstar SP-30H
Yaesu SP-2000
Bose VS- Center channel
PSB- Center channel
Bose- Computer Speakers
Mackey- Studio Monitors
and a bunch of different bookshelf speakers and none have reproduced the sound like this little ICOM SP-33 I truly believe this will be the last speaker I will ever buy, in fact I am just about to order another one but can't decide if it should be 2 more, one for the mobile.
Anyhow if you are looking for an external speaker or you are not happy with the one you have go get the SP-33 and that will put an end to it!

All the best!