Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | Electric Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Electric Radio
Electric Radio Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $32
Description: Magazine celebrating a bygone era
More info: http://www.ermag.com

You can write your own review of the Electric Radio.

WA4AOS Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Early Bed time  Time owned: more than 12 months
I look forward to receiving my issue of ER between the 12th and 17th most months. That evening I try to get in bed around 9:30 and read ER, usually, cover to cover.

ER has proven to be an excellent resource for information, mods and other improvements which have been performed over the years to equipment I own, service or would like to have later. The articles are well written and a pleasure to read. Most of the articles are written by other Hams and this lends a lot of personality to each issue.
Sometimes there may be an article that I have no interest in but will scan through it and move on. On more than one occasion at a later date I either purchased or someone asked me to service something that I initially was not interested in. Then I remembered an ER article from the past. How cool of a resource is that?

If you enjoy boat anchor Ham radio or think you would like to learn more about vintage radio, this is the magazine to have. Even if you are new to the hobby and a little intimidated with radio gear that glows in the dark with lethal voltages within. This magazine will allow you to learn a lot of technology over time.

Like QST, articles range from fairly basic to advanced. And unlike QST, ER is NOT loaded with page after page of agonizing advertisements that take away from the pleasure of reading articles. Personally, I would like most of those ads deferred to the Internet. There are some small ads in the back of ER Those include for-sale/repair and wanted ads. Additionally there are some commercial ads but they are short and sweet. Hi
Again, a great way to learn about and even repair these rigs from the Golden Days of Ham Radio.

One other thing well worth mentioning is the Editor of ER, Ray Ostewald, NODMS has been very helpful answering a number of questions or deferring me to a resource when I needed more info about a particular concern. His expertise and personal knowledge and ability to direct me to other resources is worth the subscription cost as far as I am concerned. Though, I try to not over infringe on Ray's time too often.

ER is an attractive magazine and a must have for any Boat Anchor radio shack. It is more like QST was in the past with more meat and less fat.
I have every issue of ER printed to date and my only concern is the real estate all of these boxes of magazines are consuming is getting a little larger each month. I hope at some point ER will scan all of the old issues to a DVD and release an update every year as a download to subscribers for a reasonable fee. A DVD that is searchable by topic, author and date would be FANTASTIC; put me down for the first copy!!

I guess I have covered it all. ER is by far, my most favorite Ham Radio Magazine. I read QEX from the ARRL to keep up with advances in SDR/digital technology at the other end of the technology spectrum. Between the 2 magazines I I get a good dose of the two areas that most interest me. Even after 43 years of being a Ham, I realize there is so much more to learn. That, to me, this is the cool thing about the hobby!

KE6BB Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2014 23:17 Send this review to a friend
One of My Favorites  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There are two magazines I look forward to receiving, QRP Quarterly and Electric Radio. Obviously, I love building and repairing radios. These magazines really shine with good technical articles and projects. QST might have one article per month that I find interesting, whereas I find that I end up reading almost every page of Electric Radio. I just completed my first year of this magazine, and I look forward to many more.

If this sounds like my review of QRP Quarterly, it is because the magazines are very similar.

W1CC Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2010 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Reading!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a bundle of past issues of Electric Radio at a flea market last fall and one read through them and I was hooked. I am just getting back into boatanchor radios after more then 30 years with modern radios (less than 5 years old) and I've learned a lot by reading ER. Just recently I bought all of the back issues and now I have 21 years of reading to catch up on. Thanks Ray for a top notch publication!

Tom, W1CC

N4UE Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2009 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must agree with the other reviews. Although I have lots of new radios, I just love boatanchor receivers.
Following Ray's expertise with both the Hallicrafter SX-101A and my SX-117, these radios now perform on a level that is just flat astonishing!
Ray, is a GREAT guy and I have been fortunate that he has always responded to my rather mundane questions.
You just can't go wrong!!!

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2009 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Just Wonderful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received my first issue, and wow, what a great little magazine! Home Brew, History, People, and lots of Classifieds, all bound up in a nice little booklet, well printed.
Subscribing to it was a pleasure, and Ray goes the extra mile to make you feel welcome.
I think this is going to be a valuable resource for me now that I own some Real Radios That Glow!

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Does it glow? Then this is the publication for you!!!?!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The summary says it all. If the guts of your radio glow, then this is the magazine for you.

N3GQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 07:34 Send this review to a friend
The Cat's Meow for Boat Anchor Owners!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the magazine to subscribe to if you have an interest in "vintage" ham radio gear. Many articles describe how to refurbish old gear and there are lots of historical anecdotes, old ads, homebrews, vintage nets, and photos to boot! I sent my grandfather (in-law) a gift subscription for Christmas and he loves it! I have been a subscriber for 3 years now and just ordered their hat, mug, and a current inrush limiter -- a device that is strongly recommended to protect your gear. Hope this review helps you -- FB & 73, Bart, N3GQ

KC2IFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2005 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Real Radio stuff  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio magazzine if your into toob equipment which I am. NO freeken contest crap to take up space! This mag is for real hams that operate real radios.....NO Appliances allowed!!!!! The articals are written by the subscribers and the layout is very nice. Its a great all around mag and a very useful reference for the older rigs.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2004 20:51 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only say I wish I'd subscribed earlier! (If you have back issues to get rid, of PLEASE let me know!) Excellent information resource, and the most fun reading I've found in years.

WA2DTW Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2003 18:18 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Probably the most informative amateur radio magazine. Certainly the most interesting reading. Spend enjoyable hours perusing old issues also.
An absolute must for those interested in antique ham radio or AM.