Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-553 DELUXE WOOD BASE TELEGRAPH STRAIGHT KEY W/3.5MM CB Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-553 DELUXE WOOD BASE TELEGRAPH STRAIGHT KEY W/3.5MM CB
MFJ-553 DELUXE WOOD BASE TELEGRAPH STRAIGHT KEY W/3.5MM CB Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: The MFJ-553 Deluxe Wood Base Telegraph features a Morse Code straight key on a non-skid, beautifully stained wood base –It has a steel base under the bottom so it stays put on table and doesn’t move around while you are sending!
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-553

You can write your own review of the MFJ-553 DELUXE WOOD BASE TELEGRAPH STRAIGHT KEY W/3.5MM CB.

K9PHP Rating: 1/5 Jan 25, 2015 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says but...... Buyer Beware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, let me start off by saying that I'm not an MFJ hater, and I often feel they get a bad rap. However, when I received this I was let down from the very beginning.

First, it fell apart when I took it out of the bag. How I ended up see that little spring fall to the floor, I'll never know. Luckily I did, and was able to put it back together relatively easily. I suppose I could have accidentally done that pulling it out of the bag, but I'll never know.

Second. The description says that it's weighted to keep if from moving around on the desk. My first reaction was that it was very light, so I turned it over to see where this so-called weight was. And then it hit me! This thing is not on anything like the nice, solid looking wooden base you see in the picture. They've "mounted" the paddle on a cheap, "wooden" light-switch cover! Probably costs less than $1.50 at any local hardware store.

Third. They didn't even bother to notch the "base" for the cord. It sits right on top of it, making it horribly wobbly and even less prone to movement.

Fourth. I purchased it through DX Engineering. I've always had a great relationship with them. However, when I called about it, and described what I actually received no way matched the description and picture on their website, I was told that the pictures they have on their website were what they pulled from the box. That was a blatant lie then, because it was the very exact picture that MFJ has on their website now and I knew it was. If you go to http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-553 now, you will see that they have now put up their own pictures. However, theirs show a nicer "base" than the one I got (it's still a switch cover as you can see by the underside pic, but a nicer one than I got) and it looks like they've attached rubber feet to it to make it more reasonable (although I'm left to wonder if they did that to all of them or just for the picture). I thought of doing the same to get to base off of the cord, but have already decided to send it back simply due to the principle of the thing. If I buy something that has pictures and a description, and I get something that matches neither, plus I get the run-around from the sales person, it's going back... period!

I should state, however, that it does work and seems to work well, but principles trump that. I did not get was was pictured or described. MFJ took a $14.95 paddle screwed it to a $1.50 light switch cover, attached a $1.50 cord and plug, doubled the price and make it look and sound like something that it obviously isn't. Shameful!

And shame on you DX for trying to pull a quick one. They are, however, sending me a return UPS label so I can send it back at no extra charge to me, so I guess that's something.