Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Remote Ham Radio (RHR) Help

Reviews Summary for Remote Ham Radio (RHR)
Remote Ham Radio (RHR) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$99/yr + $0.09-$0.49/min
Description: Provides remote access to a number of DX and contesting stations in the USA and worldwide.
More info: http://www.remotehamradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Remote Ham Radio (RHR).

KN4VV Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I returned to active operating in Fall, 2016 and the the XYL gave me a membership for my birthday. It is a fantastic service!

1. The stations are all top-notch installations, offering a range of capabilities from 100w into a 100' dipole to a KW into a tall tower w/ arrays.

2. The software is very easy to use. The GUI provides all the essential controls. Add the K3/0 and if you didn't know differently, you'd think you were sitting at the end of the feedline (which you are, if you include the IP connection!).

The logging function integrates with LoTW.

3. The iOS apps allow operation from almost anywhere.

4. The web portal includes easy to understand tutorials and FAQs on how to use the network's capabilities.

5. The staff is quick to answer questions with very complete and helpful responses.

6. RHR is continually improving the network, adding stations and capabilities.

7. There is a cost. But there is a cost to installing and maintaining any station.

It seems that for someone in my situation the cost of RHR usage is a better deal than the cost of relocating (not happening!) or buying land to build/maintain my own remote station. With RHR, you can control the cost by controlling your usage.

8. Bottom line: RHR is a perfect match to my home based qrp/portable capabilities. The quality of the service provided is outstanding. I cannot say enough positive about it. I will definitely renew my membership!

KB7Q Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2016 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Smooth Remote Operating Implementation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to give Remote Ham Radio a try and ponied up the $99 for a year's membership. I'm mostly a CW guy who likes to run pile-ups. Imagine my surprise when I discovered I could "rent" stations in both Puerto Rico and Haiti and be the DX while my butt is parked in Montana.

The Beta "mode" implements a very smooth working CW interface to your Chrome web browser that operates just like N1MM+ Logger in ESM (Enter send message) mode, the logging is automatic and once I fed RHR a signed digital certificate the log for KP4/KB7Q is also automatically uploaded to LoTW.Wow! 350 QSOs later I'm still smiling!

The Puerto Rico station is a K3, a 500 watt amp, and some nice beams on 40-10 meters and a wire antenna on 80M.Via the web interface I have access to moving the beam, CW speed, receive filter bandwidth, and more.

Other stations offered range from barefoot K3's running 100 watts to a OCF dipole at 100 feet to stations with an extensive antenna farm and mid-power amps.Per hour costs range from $0.09 to $0.49 per minute.

All my operating on CW has been simply with a computer, DSL connection to the Internet,Chrome web browser, and headphones. Everything works well to 30 wpm on CW.

It is very impressive how smoothly and glitch free it all works - behind the scenes somebody has done an awful lot of quality computer coding and debugging. The YouTube video helped me get started quickly and master the CW setup in "run" mode.

Remote Ham Radio is a 1st class operation that allows us antenna restricted hams to have a great deal of fun.

KD2EOM Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2016 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great for catching DX!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I applied for RemoteHamRadio under the youth program, which allows young hams to use the service for 5 hours a month at no cost. I’ve been using the system since January, 2015, and I’ve really been enjoying it! The stations are very powerful – almost all of them have a beam antenna and an amplifier with at least 500W! I’ve been able to reach numerous DX stations, most of which I never would’ve been able to hit via my home station (100W to a vertical). Thanks to the help of RemoteHamRadio, I was even able to get the last few countries I needed for my DXCC! I would highly recommend this service to any interested ham, youth or non-youth.

YO9GJY Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Original? Modern? Young? RHR!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To my surprise, I was given the opportunity to use RHR as a member of their youth program, and it has been a fantastic experience. Having just recently moved here from Romania and leaving behind many years of DXing, (I was a ham since I was 9 years old), I had to start from scratch with a new call sign and not much equipment to get on the air. RHR has given me a chance to experience DXing and chase some new ones during this time, and it’s made my transition to my new surroundings so much better.

The RHR program is very intuitive and easy to use. There are eight stations available for the YL/Youth Program, each offering different antennas and various bands to choose from within a simple graphical interface. RHR users can operate either CW (by programing macros or typing live-time, to send), as well as phone. Directional antennas can be controlled via a graphical display, which allows the user to either type in an entity or select a part of the world to change the beam heading. The stations can be operated in split mode, and various other settings can be changed as well, including Noise Reduction, Pre Amplifier, Noise Blanker, etc., much like using a regular transceiver. All in all, my short experience with RHR has been a good one, and I would recommend the program to anyone, especially those who are travelling, have antenna restrictions, or recently moved, like me.
(73`, K1GJY)

W3AG Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2016 17:25 Send this review to a friend
Remote Radio Renaissance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now well into my second year with RHR, this is an opportune time to weigh in on my very positive experience with the service.
Background – In 2014, I decided to downsize my radio setup and remove an old tower and antennas. After careful consideration and evaluation, I decided not to reinvest in new radios, antennas and other infrastructure. Here’s why the RHR solution has worked well for me.
- Impressive service and support from RHR principals and owners. The RHR team is always available and ready to assist. Any question, regardless of how basic, is answered thoroughly and in depth with a sincere and helpful manner. Also, the RHR user group, representing both new and experienced hams, is ready, willing and able to assist via a “chat board” within the RHR system console.
- Fully integrated system and station capabilities. Based on my own career experience, I know good system integration when I see it. The station and system interface is robust and seamless. The system capabilities are continuously enhanced and beta tested. User feedback is welcomed and encouraged. DX cluster is integrated within the control console, as is a full featured logging program with an automated and efficient upload to Logbook of The World.
- Community service, as others have mentioned, a well established youth program has built a cadre of new hams who will extend the legacy of our great hobby. For more information, see the RHR website and/or checkout the RHR newsletters.
- Cost effectiveness – in my view, RHR is an economical alternative to building a new home station or upgrading an existing station with new radios, antennas, etc., or building a standalone station in a remote location. Upon review and evaluation, in my case I found the cost/benefit to be pretty straightforward.
- Knowledge acquisition – Even as an experienced ham radio operator, I’ve found the learning experience with RHR to be very worthwhile. For example, prior to joining RHR, I had done little with respect to low band (80/160m) operating, primarily due to antenna constraints. It’s been a whole new world of learning propagation and operating skills.
- Station portfolio – RHR offers a diverse and effective collection of stations to suit the needs of ham radio newcomers as well as the seasoned operator. See the RHR website for a full review of station capabilities.
In summary, RHR has been a game changer for me and others using the service. It’s been an opportunity to experience amateur radio at a level well beyond my prior expectations. Thanks to the RHR team and founders, owners and fellow RHR stakeholders. Keep up the good work.

K7CO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2016 06:30 Send this review to a friend
This service keeps me active!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been an RemoteHamRadio.com user since the end of 2012. Being in a very restricted HOA I am not allowed to put up any antennas. Without RHR I would have gone inactive. RHR has allowed me to make new friends and get closer to my goal of working them all at least once. I have learned propagation, I have learned many secrets with regard to low band operation. I travel for work, when I have been in hotels across the country and as you may know, some hotels have better internet speed than others, I have had no issue making contacts. I have operated from coffee shops and one day I made a contact using the hotspot service on my cell phone. I got a new one from my car using my laptop. I have still been able to enjoy CW and SSB because of this wonderful service. The team at RHR are super friendly and helpful. The RHR team have been up on their towers in extremely cold conditions to make repairs so that I can continue to enjoy chasing DX. The RHR team continue to improve their antennas and I generate massive pileups when I am using RHR. I feel like rare DX many times because of the amount of people that want to have a QSO with me because I am "so loud" The DX stations on the other side often say "You are the first North American station I am hearing today" RHR continues to improve the web interface and they listen to their customers. Because of RHR and my ability to stay "active" the DX bug has stayed alive within me and I went on two DXpeditions in 2014, one was to 4W and the other to VK9X and I am planning on another adventure in 2017. The 4W and VK9X Dxpeditions would not have happened for me unless RHR provided a great product to me, the ham without an antenna. On these two DXpeditions I wanted to do a significant amount of CW, leading up to the DXpeditions, RHR allowed to me practice whenever and wherever I found myself. Even if you have an HF antenna or multiple antennas, adding RHR to your ham radio hobby will increase the excitement and fun. I do log all of my contacts made from each station that is available. It is fun to see how DX works from the each coast and west coast. It is interesting to learn how stations further inland respond to certain solar conditions. I follow the rules and make sure that my LOTW uploads reflect the station that was in use. Maybe you a DXer who has worked them all, maybe you are on the honor roll, maybe you are somewhere on your way to those lofty achievements. Wherever you are I gurantee RemoteHamRadio.com can add great new thrills to our beloved hobby. Remember the day you worked your first DX Contact, you can have that again with the ability to chase DX from a new QTH, all from the comfort of wherever. I will be a long time customer of RHR. The chat room on the site has helped me make new friends and I highly recommend any ham trying this service. Tell them K7CO sent you. 73 to all and gud dx!

N8BI Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2016 23:32 Send this review to a friend
RHR Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my experience hotels and other facilities with optional premium high speed Internet services will work adequately with "RHR". Other experience with free WiFi in coffee shops, hotspots, and other locations with insufficient speed and bandwidth are "poor" often resulting in intermittent operation causing sites to become unresponsive. WiFi sites such as these should be avoided for remote use while traveling.

N2WL Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2016 09:38 Send this review to a friend
The future of ham radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been a user of RHR since the days of gold silver and bronze, five stations and no web user interface. I am not a raging DX'er. Love to DX and more I love to RagChew. Live in NYC where I can't have my tower. Been hamming for more than 50 years and to be able to sit in NYC and play radio is the best thing for me. In summer I can play at N2WL in CO and these great guys at RHR helped me remote my own station. I think this is the future of ham radio on HF. As the country urbanizes and suburanizes more and more there will be more restrictions on big antennas and RHR is really a shared experience for users beyond what a contest club station is. Or in other words the contest club has gone remote. Big Antennas and QRO radios. The website radio interface is perfect for travelling with a USB headset and macros for CW. I have logged in on just using my Mac from the UK and France and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver. I have sat in my office in NY at lunchtime and worked DX from the office.The founders do not rest on their laurels, the website has improved from 5 to 17 stations on the network, the website permits no radio operation at the remote site, just a laptop will do, the website has logging that uploads automatically to LOTW and I couldn't believe it the other night when by the time I got off with a guy in Japan the QSO was confirmed on LOTW! Seriously I can't imagine HF ham radio without these guys and I tried all the iterations before RHR and this system is truly the cat's meow. The best. The help with computer or interface issues is superb. I can't say enough good. Could go on for hours. Tried everything, built amps and antennas, satellites, digital, been dx and this remote ham radio thing is by far the best thing in ham radio in my ham life. I still keep N2WL in CO up and running but at 68 that at some point will get harder and harder and at the end of the day these guys are maintaining my future radios and antennas. I can't say enough good about Remote Ham Radio. Bill N2WL@arrl.net

KK4UNZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2016 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After applying, I was selected to be a part of the RHR youth program. As a young ham, I can't afford to put up a tower, purchase an amplifier, or the latest transceiver offerings from Elecraft. Thanks to the folks at RHR I have access to stations with this equipment, and it is fantastic! With a directional beam, I can hear stations much better than before. The web console used for operating the stations runs seamlessly. If you are a youth operator who loves to work DX, I urge you to check out the RHR youth program at http://www.remotehamradio.com/youth/

For those who are not youth but live in an HOA restricted area, or are not able to put up a tower, and buy an amplifier but would like to operate a station with those pieces of gear, check out RHR. Customer service is top notch and the folks running RHR will do everything they can to make sure you have an excellent remote operating experience.

I can't recommend RHR enough. What they are doing for youth in amateur radio is great!
RHR is revolutionizing remote operations.

Tucker
W4FS (Ex. KK4UNZ)

WX3B Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, Effective and FUN  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been an enthusiastic Remote Ham Radio (RHR) user for several months and have found the entire system to be extremely easy to use, very effective, and most of all FUN!

I have a good contest station at home, however I am often NOT home, and through the RHR network I can be on the air from any number of locations with my PC! For those more interested in a true radio interface, you can utilize a specialized internet aware rig at your location to give you a genuine “rig” experience.

I have had fun making RHR contacts to both USA and DX locations – QSOs that would have never happened because I was away from home.

The user interface is intuitive (web based) and you can literally be up and running within minutes of signing up. The interface shows you your potential coverage when using directional antennas, and rotating the antennas (or switching them in the case of a vertical array) is as simple as selecting your desired heading. Even running split frequency (a must for DX pileups) is a breeze…and the Web controls mimic being in front of a radio.

I have used the system in both SSB and CW modes with excellent results.

I also use the RHR network to monitor my own signal and to compare it to my peers. RHR is very useful for adjusting your TX audio equalization, and listening to your CW note remotely from different locations in the USA and around the world.

I am aware of RHR’s excellent youth program and I have recommended it to several friends. This is one way the company gives back to the community and promotes Amateur Radio to young folks – and we can always use more young Amateur Radio Operators!
The owners at RHR are constantly improving their service and are regularly adding more sites onto their network – keep things moving forward.

For those that wish to operate on the go, RHR provides a fun and useful way to do so….easily!

Jim Nitzberg WX3B