Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™
 Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: Shortwave Receiver with PLL digital tuning, SSB, dual conversion and synchronous detection.
More info: http://www.sony.com

You can write your own review of the Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™.

KC0EKQ Rating: 3/5 Jun 21, 2015 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Not for me anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this radio for over a decade, and just sold it off last summer to get into some of the newer, and frankly *better* portables available today.

It worked, certainly. At its price point back when I got it in the early 2000s, it was the only portable that had stable SSB and synch detection, and it became my go-to travel radio over that decade, even going to Europe and Asia, let alone all over the US.

But it never satisfied me in overall performance, ergonomically and aurally.

The speaker audio is just okay, fair, but often just muddy enough to lose clarity on an otherwise decent signal, or felt thin, reedy, when listening to any kind of music, even on FM (which DID sound much better and in stereo with the headphones).

The display didn't help much -- it is small, and the backlight is a dim green that really only aids my vision of the display if I am otherwise in total darkness. Any ambient light above that tends to mute the effect of the light to where the only way to really see it in dim lighting, or out of doors, is to use a little flashlight or similar.

Its synchronous detection was fine on most MW and SW broadcasts, if the signal was moderately stable, fading not too deep or rapid. Otherwise it would lose lock pretty consistently.

SSB signals are stable and easier to tune with precision than you'd expect from a thumbwheel, but if they were very weak or very strong signals, a lot of warbling/wobbling would occur.

It seemed to be alright on batteries, and that's a goo thing especially these days.

It's a fine radio, and better than some still being made today. But not that many, and there are far more radios that outperform this one, some by a pretty hefty margin -- my Tecsun 660 and 880 each runs circles around it especially in weak signal work, overloading front end and audio.

It's not a bad radio, it's not a great radio, it's fine. It's okay. It works and gets the casual listener a decent AM, FM and SW B'cast experience, provided they don't mind the lame-ish audio.

But it's not the great miracle radio I am often told to believe by enthusiasts.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2014 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Amazing...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate this little radio, as it resulted in a rather embarrassing finding.

After pouring money and time erecting an EF-SWL outdoor antenna coupled to my Drake R8 receiver, the Sony provided equivalent intelligibility on SW with its built-in vertical telescoping antenna.

And to add insult to injury, the Sony is of higher build quality than my Drake.

That said, the Sony has a dramatically sensitive receiver and a decent sync detector to combat distortional fading, amazing for its price point. But you do not get QRM fighting filters, which are required for SSB and sometimes for good AM reception.

There are a few minor problems with the Sony that everyone should be aware about:

1) With an outdoor antenna, the Sony's front end will easily overload and images of local MW broadcasters will be spread throughout the SW spectrum, making listening nearly impossible.

2) The ergonomics of the radio are poor. Important controls are placed on one side and utilize tiny switches, the display light is inadequate and there is no signal strength meter.

3) The internal speaker is not very loud and offers no bass response, but performs very well. Best to use a quality external speaker.

Thats said, I highly recommend this little Sony unless you plan to use an outdoor antenna and live within 100 miles of any AM MW broadcaster.

W2WP Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 15:41 Send this review to a friend
I'd give it a 6 if I could  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased this after selling my AOR 8200 MK3. I purchased the AOR a few months back hoping to be able to listen to the HF bands. It was a bust! I've heard more in the first 10 minutes of owning the IFC-SW7600GR than a month of AOR listening. It's about 80% of if I went into my mobile and fired up the ICOM 7000. Yes, it hears that well. I'm still shocked. The only band I have not heard any chatter is 160m. I haven't even tried the included wind up wire antenna. I haven't needed it. This is one off those purchases that far exceeded my expectations. GREAT JOB SONY 6 STARS!

W8GND Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2011 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Odd Antenna Plug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I write only because about a year ago, I discovered that the antenna connection on the radio isn't a 2 wire connection, but a 3 wire.
The article that I read said that the extra ring on the external ring wire was there to power an active antenna.

I have noticed that the thing is very odd in the way it handles external antennas.

Still it's a very good radio. I think the Sangean 909X is probably more complex, and has things like the RDS system.

I comment on this only because someone noted the odd connector in a previous reviews.

Apart from that, it's a dandy radio. I may buy another one. I just wish that Sony sold that odd plug.

73 Jerry W8GND

SAILCAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2011 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a fine radio. Construction quality is quite good as it is still made in Japan. This is in stark contrast to the quite variable quality of Chinese-made radios of similar price and/or features. It is very sensitive in FM and AM, and I have been pleased with the reception of signals in SW and side band, as well. Its audio quality is only fair, however, and I recommend careful reading of the instructions to master the Sony's inexplicably Byzantine controls.

Overall, it performs very well as compared to my Grundig YB 400PE and Kaito KA 1103, audio quality notwithstanding. I give the 7600GR five stars despite the controls due to its superior performance to cost ratio. Two thumbs, way up!

K1NW Rating: 2/5 Aug 25, 2010 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio about 5 years. I always found it difficult to program and almost impossible to tune (so sick of the beeps...). In the last year the volume started to go - suddenly louder or fading away. Then last week the tuning went - searching for stations, just flitting across the bands and would not stay on the programmed frequency. I would not recommend this radio to anyone based on my experiences.

PHO1NL Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2010 14:13 Send this review to a friend
top of the bill radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine 15 years back,and i'ts the best radio i have,the gr that I have has cheap pot's and a instable ssb walble specially on higher frequenties. but i'm glad I bought a spare one.

M5AEO Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2009 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best portable receiver I have ever used. I've had mine for about 12 years. Last week the speaker grill fell off, so I glued it back on! The AM-sync works. I would have given it 5 points, but it doesn't have a tuning knob, just UP and DOWN buttons: I prefer to be able to tune with a knob. Apart from that: excellent.

WA4053SWL Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2008 23:26 Send this review to a friend
7600G, probably the best portable SW receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the model ICF-7600G and Sangean 909, but the Sony is the winner, the 7600G is a very sensitive and selectivy radio, the LSB and USB to listen amateur and utilitary is amazing, and the synchronous detection helps a lot to broadcasting SW and MW, very recommended.
73 to all

DB2EH Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2005 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Best of that category  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having made bad experiences with the new 7600GR, (frequency instability - sporadic warble), I bought me a used G-version and was
satisfied! No noticable drift, good sound! That´s due to what I thought and heard. The new GR is not as good as the G with respect to ham use in mode CW/SSB.
Find the SONY7600G the best buy, this receiver offers also a much better sideband supression than for ex. SANGEAN´s top models like 909 etc.
The SONY7600G is great and dominates my "Portables" collection now.