Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™
 Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: Shortwave Receiver with PLL digital tuning, SSB, dual conversion and synchronous detection.
More info: http://www.sony.com

You can write your own review of the Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™.

AK9S Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2014 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Amazing...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I hate this little radio, as it resulted in a rather embarrassing finding.

After pouring money and time erecting an EF-SWL outdoor antenna coupled to my Drake R8 receiver, the Sony provided equivalent intelligibility on SW with its built-in vertical telescoping antenna.

And to add insult to injury, the Sony is of higher build quality than my Drake.

That said, the Sony has a dramatically sensitive receiver and a decent sync detector to combat distortional fading, amazing for its price point. But you do not get QRM fighting filters, which are required for SSB and sometimes for good AM reception.

There are a few minor problems with the Sony that everyone should be aware about:

1) With an outdoor antenna, the Sony's front end will easily overload and images of local MW broadcasters will be spread throughout the SW spectrum, making listening nearly impossible.

2) The ergonomics of the radio are poor. Important controls are placed on one side and utilize tiny switches, the display light is inadequate and there is no signal strength meter.

3) The internal speaker is not very loud and offers no bass response, but performs very well. Best to use a quality external speaker.

Thats said, I highly recommend this little Sony unless you plan to use an outdoor antenna and live within 100 miles of any AM MW broadcaster.

W2WP Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 15:41 Send this review to a friend
I'd give it a 6 if I could  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased this after selling my AOR 8200 MK3. I purchased the AOR a few months back hoping to be able to listen to the HF bands. It was a bust! I've heard more in the first 10 minutes of owning the IFC-SW7600GR than a month of AOR listening. It's about 80% of if I went into my mobile and fired up the ICOM 7000. Yes, it hears that well. I'm still shocked. The only band I have not heard any chatter is 160m. I haven't even tried the included wind up wire antenna. I haven't needed it. This is one off those purchases that far exceeded my expectations. GREAT JOB SONY 6 STARS!

W8GND Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2011 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Odd Antenna Plug  Time owned: more than 12 months
I write only because about a year ago, I discovered that the antenna connection on the radio isn't a 2 wire connection, but a 3 wire.
The article that I read said that the extra ring on the external ring wire was there to power an active antenna.

I have noticed that the thing is very odd in the way it handles external antennas.

Still it's a very good radio. I think the Sangean 909X is probably more complex, and has things like the RDS system.

I comment on this only because someone noted the odd connector in a previous reviews.

Apart from that, it's a dandy radio. I may buy another one. I just wish that Sony sold that odd plug.

73 Jerry W8GND

SAILCAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2011 00:04 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is a fine radio. Construction quality is quite good as it is still made in Japan. This is in stark contrast to the quite variable quality of Chinese-made radios of similar price and/or features. It is very sensitive in FM and AM, and I have been pleased with the reception of signals in SW and side band, as well. Its audio quality is only fair, however, and I recommend careful reading of the instructions to master the Sony's inexplicably Byzantine controls.

Overall, it performs very well as compared to my Grundig YB 400PE and Kaito KA 1103, audio quality notwithstanding. I give the 7600GR five stars despite the controls due to its superior performance to cost ratio. Two thumbs, way up!

K1NW Rating: 2/5 Aug 25, 2010 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Lots of Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio about 5 years. I always found it difficult to program and almost impossible to tune (so sick of the beeps...). In the last year the volume started to go - suddenly louder or fading away. Then last week the tuning went - searching for stations, just flitting across the bands and would not stay on the programmed frequency. I would not recommend this radio to anyone based on my experiences.

PHO1NL Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2010 14:13 Send this review to a friend
top of the bill radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine 15 years back,and i'ts the best radio i have,the gr that I have has cheap pot's and a instable ssb walble specially on higher frequenties. but i'm glad I bought a spare one.

M5AEO Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2009 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best portable receiver I have ever used. I've had mine for about 12 years. Last week the speaker grill fell off, so I glued it back on! The AM-sync works. I would have given it 5 points, but it doesn't have a tuning knob, just UP and DOWN buttons: I prefer to be able to tune with a knob. Apart from that: excellent.

WA4053SWL Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2008 23:26 Send this review to a friend
7600G, probably the best portable SW receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the model ICF-7600G and Sangean 909, but the Sony is the winner, the 7600G is a very sensitive and selectivy radio, the LSB and USB to listen amateur and utilitary is amazing, and the synchronous detection helps a lot to broadcasting SW and MW, very recommended.
73 to all

DB2EH Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2005 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Best of that category  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having made bad experiences with the new 7600GR, (frequency instability - sporadic warble), I bought me a used G-version and was
satisfied! No noticable drift, good sound! That´s due to what I thought and heard. The new GR is not as good as the G with respect to ham use in mode CW/SSB.
Find the SONY7600G the best buy, this receiver offers also a much better sideband supression than for ex. SANGEAN´s top models like 909 etc.
The SONY7600G is great and dominates my "Portables" collection now.

DX4NZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2005 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent portable from Sony  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Sony has again shown why they are the brand leader in portable shortwave receivers. Very well made product with attention paid to useful features. Remember Sony have 'fitted' features into this radio that are on their much larger models. The synchronous detector works well, radio has good sensitivity and sound is as good as one should expect from a small portable. This radio's performance compares quite favourably to my 2001D.
When I want desktop performance I use a desktop radio, but this is the radio I use when travelling and really don't give away too much in performance.
Compare 'apples with apples' as they say.
The only thing I miss, and this is a personal thing, I wish Sony had put a tuning knob on it, but then that would have only taken up more space on an already packed cabinet. Sony have made a good compromise between features etc and come up with the ICF SW7600G(R). Use it and enjoy the experience!