Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™
 Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™ Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: Shortwave Receiver with PLL digital tuning, SSB, dual conversion and synchronous detection.
More info: http://www.sony.com

You can write your own review of the Sony ICFSW7600G World Band Receiver™.

KB0PGO Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2004 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using one of these wonderful little gems for around 12 years. I know there are some complaint that can be made about the operational controls but lets call a spade a spade. This radio is small as are all radio's in the 7600 series. They all have fit into the same footprint since the origional ones were made back in the 70's. Sony has packed as much performance and durability in a small package as possible. This is a traveling radio and has gone with me to the boundry waters and on all trips anywhere. Never has a radio been built so perfect for using on the road. It will never compete with a desk top radio that is designed for high performance but that is not what it is built to do. I recently updated to a ICF-SW7600GR after trying out a couple Grundig radios and after returning both of them ordered a new model 7600GR for $130. Nearly $90 cheaper than the origional G model was when I bought it 10 years ago. The G model was getting a little beat up from it travels and still outperformed the Grundig radios. For a traveling radio that is well made and has some wonderful features this is the best buy of radios. If you want more expect to pay a lot more!

VE3NXA Rating: 3/5 May 22, 2004 00:32 Send this review to a friend
No logic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sony have made some exceptionally good receivers for our bedside enjoyment or for those of us that travel. However,the 7600G is about as useful for tuning SSB as an Indy car on snow tires
I like to listen to shortwave and the ham bands at night...what ever possed the designer to use digital tuning buttons instead of the tried and true controllable tuning knob. On SSB it is a nightmare in the dark you have about the same success as winning the lotto. No Sony you have spoilt a nice sensitive receiver not only with the lack of the tuning knob but also idiotic memory bank controls.
Sony has yet to produce a better replacement receiver than the Hams standby the 2001D or its variants.Now that was a receiver.
Of course if you just want to listen to FM then enjoy though the audio quality could definately be improved. To me this Rx is a big disappointment.

N8YV Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2003 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Superb! (7600GR)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
NOTE: This receiver has been updated to the "GR" suffix. It has a different color case, but essentially the same layout as the "G" version.

I bought this receiver to replace a Grundig YB-400PE. It was less expensive than the Yacht Boy and has synchronous AM detection---almost a "must" when it comes to portable SWL reception.

Good audio quality, very smooth tuning and selectable SSB make it an excellent buy. I can understand some who complain that the radio does not include an AC adapter; in my case, this was of no concern because I did not buy the radio for indoor use. I am just as happy not to pay for something I would rarely, if ever, make use of.

SSB sensitivity is superior to most other portables I've owned, including Sangean 505 and 909 models.

In my opinion, this rig is the best value in small portables around.

ZL3SWL Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2003 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Great 3rd Shack radio for USB on Aircraft HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine in the Uk used it on USB 5.680 for S&R from Kinloss when stationed in London...No Problems...

Now have it on Air HF USB as my Stand By receiver and in case of Power Outage...

Only problem is Power suply (6v) Plug system not all that impressive otherwise Great, works well on 100 ft wire Antt.

PY2-LOY Rating: 4/5 Apr 4, 2002 16:45 Send this review to a friend
HUMMMMM!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Dears! Complementing the text below I discovered other problem. When I use the external antenna the connector moves a mechanical switch inside the radio. I think is to adapt impedances but appear a voltage around 6 VDC at the antenna line, I don´t understood for what is this voltage.
Here in Brazil is very difficult to find electronics parts for imported radios and this SWITCH is not functioning perfectly, i.e., the connection isn´t good. I have to put and to remove many times until the connection appear to be good.
The buttons - the letters printed in the buttons disappear a long time ago. I think SONY should think that HUMANS excrete through the skin.

POWER SUPPLY INPUT - I don´t encountered in Brazil´s electronics market some plug that fits in this radio. I´m electronic technician and I don´t want to by the PS; I made one.

aloyolla@ig.com.br

Thanks a lot

Good receiver, but it sound is like a bird chirp at frequencies over 15MHz in SSB MODE.
It don´t receive nothing over 28,500 MHz.
Nothing, nothing indeed in 29 MHz band.

I´m using a 40meter band dipole just over my roof with a 50 ohm LMR400 cable.

Somebody could help me??

NOHAM Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2002 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Comparing 7600G to Sony 2010  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 7600G was my first "real" SW radio. After using it for about a year I became unhappy with its inability to DX weak stations and bought a 2010. After not using the 7600 for a year or so I recently got curious as to how well it compared to the 2010 and ran some tests, with surprising results.
After setting the two radios side by side and putting them on the same station, my first impression was that the 2010 gets much better reception. However, upon closer examination, I realized that most of the difference was due to the vastly superior audio quality of the 2010 and its much larger speaker. Listening to both radios thru headphones, it is difficult to discern much difference between them on all but the weakest stations. Also, the "wide" filter on the 2010 is really too wide, causing a loud howl or squeal on most strong stations, whereas the single filter on the 7600 (which appears to be about halfway between the "wide" and "narrow" filters of the 2010) doesn't have this problem. On weak stations the narrow filter of the 2010 does produce superior results however. The 2010 tunes in .1 kHz steps while the 7600 can only tune in 1 kHz steps; in practice this is only an advantage if you are trying to tune utility stations with oddball frequencies. Surprisingly, neither radio is helped much by connecting it to an external antenna - i.e. - both radios seem to have been designed to be used outdoors. Neither radio is really a fireball when it comes to DXing weak stations.
In summary, if I had to chose between the two radios I would take the 2010. However, if I already owned a 7600G, rather than replace it with a 2010 I would hook the 7600 up to an amplified speaker, which would yield results comparable to the 2010 on all but the weakest broadcast stations, at a savings of about $300.

DFDFGDGDRG Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2002 01:57 Send this review to a friend
this is one awsome reciever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love it so much better than that grundig yachtboy. The 7600g is great for home or the road . sony hAS done it again!sorry grundig

PY2-LOY Rating: 2/5 Jan 7, 2002 17:07 Send this review to a friend
it is not hearing(receiving).  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It don´t receive nothing over 28,500 MHz.
Nothing, nothing indeed in 29 MHz band.

I´m using a 40meter band dipole just over my roof with a 50 ohm LMR400 cable.

Somebody could help me??

Excuse my english errors, I´m in Brazil - São Paulo.

Thanks a lot

PY2-LOY

SW4DX Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2001 00:11 Send this review to a friend
You cant have everything  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these radios for about 2 yrs,
I consider it to be a good quality piece of gear
but a total pain in the you know what to use.
I usually use this rig without the Sync side band,
frankly I know people rave about it but I find Sync side band works in some situations but in
others it just screeches in your ear,something I can well do without as I always use headphones.
When I bought this radio I did what was recommended by tuning to a MW station and switching between USB&LSB,the reciever
should sound similar but not the same,so I guess
I got a good one.
I must admit that as a streight out reciever it works fine,but those crazy little almost countersunk switches are once again a,pain in the you know what. I have been a fanatic on SWDXing for over 30 yrs and own several portable and tabletop radios,but I can think of no other one
that is so painfull to use,I consider the Grundig
YB400 and several Sangean radios to be as good as
the Sony ICF-SW7600G and far easier to use,I was also very surprised to see Sony use the same stupid switches in the new 7600GR.
As for the Synchronous Selectable Sideband on this
rig its a waste of time.

HNLUTE Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2001 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Typical Sony Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Solid Sony feel, quirky PB tuning controls (not intuitive!), average tuning capability. Quite sensitive on the antenna, will overload on long wire. Sync detector circuitry is NOT as good as it could/should be, worsens signal retention and causes interupts in fading signals. Average audio, somewhat harsh at times, tiring to listen to for long periods. Battery life is average of the type. All in all a good effort by Sony, looking for a more modern upgrade soon with a GOOD sync implementation and sharper filter settings, better battery life.