Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | MFJ-1045C Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1045C
MFJ-1045C Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$89.95
Description: Receive only, no transmit by-pass, preamp for 160 meters through 6 meters.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1045C.

K2PJW Rating: 4/5 Apr 7, 2016 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, Poor Build Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, I would have given this a rating of 5 but the build quality was quite bad, more on that later.

I bought this specifically to use with an old Hallicrafters S53A. On the HF bands this old receiver has a lot of image problems. The 1045C worked perfectly and eliminated the image problems. The pre-amp in the unit works great and improved signal strength surprisingly well. I was listening to the VOA on 15.580 Mhz, which is a broadcast directed toward Africa. I live on the east coast of the US and I could barely receive the station without the 1045C connected. When I put the 1045C inline and dialed it in, the station became intelligible and really peaked nicely. I was surprised because the signal was amplified but not the noise. This is a great little unit and design.

I have bought a lot of MFJ products over the years and have never had any quality issues. I have always heard others mention having problems and even joking about it. Sadly, this unit had really bad quality issues. The band switch was overtightened at the factory and was loose. The bandswitch control is plastic so I am sure this could happen easily. However, QC should have caught the loose band switch. The internal components were crooked and very messy. It looked like a four year old put the components in the board. The tuning capacitor was binding on a wire that was going to it. Here is another problem that should have been evident to QC, as just turning the tuning capacitor would have shown that it was binding. Finally, the whole circuit board was mounted wrong in the enclosure so that the power switch would bind when the unit was powered on or off.

I would buy another unit if I was sure it would arrive without these quality issues. I have really enjoyed the 1045C after I spent two hours "fixing" the quality control lapses. The 1045C has really transformed my Hallicrafters radio into a much better receiver.

Honestly, I would buy the unit all over again even with the issues because the design itself is excellent. But I cannot give a rating of 5 due to the problems.

W6YDE Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2015 07:03 Send this review to a friend
It works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this little pre-amp to install at the center of a four square vertical receive only installation for 160 meters. I chose it because of its small size, receive only... no transmit by-pass, it has a pre-selector and the price. This little amp is very quite and does not increase the noise level until the gain control is at 95% of maximum gain available. Most other pre-amps I have tried, increase the receive signal and the noise equally throughout the gain control's range. This MFJ-1045C does not have as much gain as the other amps tested above, but does increase otherwise unheard signals without the use of this preamp.

I have not experienced the gain advertised by MFJ's sales information and the quality control is low even for MFJ standards. The "on-off" switch was not in aliment with hole in front cover and could not be used. Band switch knob was broken and one side cover was not attached due to missing screws. The missing screws were not in the bottom of the box. All this was a little discouraging to start. But since I was gong to use it at a remote location, I decided to keep it due to its performance. I was going to modified it with a 4-pole relay. I had to install a relay to by-pass this pre-amp when not needed or turned off. MFJ's push on and then push off switch also by-passes around the amp when turned off.

The pre-selector does improve the incoming signal and helps to allow for a higher increase in pre-amp available gain. I am located at 4,000 feet in elevation and can see several AM broadcast station transmitting site at night.

It should be a 5/5... but do to the quality control issues I gave it a 4.