Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | Monitoring Times Help

Reviews Summary for Monitoring Times
Monitoring Times Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $25.95 a year
Description: 108 pages of news, information, and tips on getting more out of your radio listening. In fact, it's the most comprehensive radio hobby magazine in the U.S.
More info: http://www.grove-ent.com/hmpgmt.html

You can write your own review of the Monitoring Times.

W4MMA Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2014 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Thanks to HFHAM2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to HFHAM2 for recommending The Spectrum Monitor. I just recently subscribed thanks to your post.

73 Todd
W4MMA

HFHAM2 Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 11:13 Send this review to a friend
No longer with us, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of us who've been in the radio hobby for (ahem) a while, would agree that Monitoring Times was probably the best magazine of it's type.

It ceased publication in December 2013 when the publisher (Bob Grove) retired.

That said, there is a fairly new magazine which takes up where MT left off, "The Spectrum Monitor".

The Spectrum Monitor Writers' Group consists of former columnists, editors and writers for Monitoring Times.

Unfortunately, it's only available as a download from the web whereas a number of us would prefer hard-copy, however, it may very well be of interest to former MT readers (hence the plug).

You can either buy a single issue or subscribe for a year's worth.

WA7ZYQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 01:53 Send this review to a friend
An excellent magazine and a bargain   Time owned: more than 12 months
I first started subscribing to Monitoring Times back when it was really a newspaper. Now (and for the last 5 or 6 years) I subscribe to the Express digital edition. The digital edition is presented in pdf format which can be read on pretty much any computer and tablet (Android at least -- can't speak to the iPad) and most dedicated ebook readers, and is the complete and exactly same magazine as the print edition. They make available both high and low resolution copies of each issue. I read the high res version on my desktop and the low res version (which is a smaller file) on my Android tablets -- there is no noticeable loss of quality in the low res copy. They also include the MT Extra which is the monthly shortwave program schedule broken out as a separate document -- very handy for quick reference on the tablet.

One thing that I really like is that the savings in printing and mailing the magazine is passed on to the digital subscriber: the digital edition -- which is exactly the same as the print -- is (currently) $19.95 per year vs. $32.95 for the print edition. Multiple year subscriptions carry even more discount. That is very decent!!

The articles cover all aspects of radio monitoring/listening including swl'ing, HF utilities, VHF/UHF monitoring and scanning, digital modes, etc. Lots of info on modes, frequencies, repairs and restorations, antennae, etc, as well as recent equipment announcements and reviews. And the articles are written by folks with backgrounds in their specific topics.

MT is the best all around radio magazine going, covering many areas that can't be found in other magazines. That is why I have been a subscriber for over 20 years.

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 19:47 Send this review to a friend
subscriber since issue #3!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent articles for pros to beginners. I have been a subscriber since #3, Think in 1980 or so; don't remember, when it was a 12 page newsprint issue. Now I subscribe as a download MT Express. Worth every penny and I will be subscribing as long as I can breathe! And you can call and talk to any of them!!!

KZ6D Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 22:38 Send this review to a friend
My favorite SWL/General-Interest radio magazine...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd been a regular reader of Popular Communications since the very beginning of that publication ('82 or '83 if I recall). Somewhere around the turn of the century (or perhaps just before), PopCom started taking a number of "wrong-turns"... thinner issues (i.e. fewer pages), fewer genuinely interesting articles & a steadily increasing cover price. It was because of these factors that I turned my attention to Monitoring Times about ten years ago & I've faithfully patronized their publication ever since.

True, MT is every bit as expensive as PopCom, but I always get the feeling that I get more for my money... in fact, I really think of PopCom as a kind of Monitoring Times-Lite. For some reason, MT just seems to provide far more satisfying & challenging content than does it's (in my opinion) inferior cousin.

For the past six years, my wife's annual birthday present to me has been regular one year extension to my subscription. I certainly don't miss the past ritual of having to drive clear across town to grab a copy off the magazine rack at Barnes and Noble (& having to pay MORE per issue, for that matter!).

If there's one thing that genuinely irritates me about MT though, it's the fact that new issues appear on the newsstands a good week before they appear in my mailbox. This generally isn't a problem except for the times when (for instance) I stop by HRO to pick something up & see the newest issue there on the rack. I can't BUY it (Hell... I can't even LOOK at it) because I don't want to "spoil" my issue when it arrives!

That last thing is pretty trivial, but really when I think about it... isn't one of the luxuries and privileges of "subscriber-hood" supposed to be that you get your stuff BEFORE everyone else?!? Just a thought.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good Reading  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must admit this is one of the best radio publications out there and still left. I enjoy the articles written and some of the stories published. I think it is a well rounded magazine for the radio hobbyist. There is truly something out there for everyone. From the scanner listeners, Shortwave listeners to hams operators there is something for everyone everyone to enjoy. A good read and well worth the money.

KC8SLC Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great magazine!! Love the price on the e-magazine version that I get!! The detailed articles on the radio rebuilds are excellent. Thumbs up on this magazine. Tim.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2007 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Great magazine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new subscriber to the electronic edition of MT. For the price, its a real steal! And its a great magazine. Unfortunately I discovered it only now. Had I known about it, I would have been a regular reader for a long time before....

KE5LDO Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Mag!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those who may not be aware of it, MT can be delivered by email download for $20 a year.Usually around the 20th of the preceding month. I have subscribed since the first issue.

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 20:16 Send this review to a friend
A Mag for All Seasons  Time owned: more than 12 months
MT is a generalist type of publication, covering a vast territory spread across the entire wireless communications field but delving into each topic at only a modest depth. It is oriented more toward the "beginner" end of the ham population rather than the advanced, and it should be of help to newcomers.

But it has a special utility not found in QST, CQ, RadCom, etc., which should make it almost mandatory reading for hams of all skill levels. Many hams, and perhaps more so the younger ones, have little idea of what occurs in the RF spectrum above, say, 14.350 MHz, or below 14.000 MHz. In actuality, Amateur Radio operations are but a tiny, tiny fraction of everything that is occurring on the entire RF spectrum. MT opens up, for its readers, this "everything else" world.

Through MT one is exposed to shortwave broadcasting (the station listings and current schedule printed in each month’s center pages is outstanding), military communications, aircraft and marine communications, commercial and public safety land mobile communications, satellites, government communications, radiolocation services, and just about everything else that travels on electromagnetic waves between 30 kHz and visible light. There are a raft of regular monthly columns including construction pieces and equipment reviews, historical pieces, and some general news of recent governmental/regulatory actions.

What occurs in the RF spectrum outside the established ham bands can profoundly affect the Amateur Radio Service, and hams need to be aware of the rest of the radio world. While MT can never be complete in its coverage of the entire RF spectrum, it certainly provides a good introduction for those hams who are sufficiently curious to stick their beaks outside the chicken coop. Curiosity can be a valuable attribute to a ham, and it is too often in short supply now. MT both stimulates and satisfies curiosity.

Even with forty-five years' experience with the RF spectrum, I still discover new things in MT. It's a good read and I always look forward to its consistently on-time arrival by mail each month. It performs a very valuable educational function and hams should read it (or similar material) in addition to the ham-only publications.