Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Periodicals | Monitoring Times Help

Reviews Summary for Monitoring Times
Monitoring Times Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $25.95 a year
Description: 108 pages of news, information, and tips on getting more out of your radio listening. In fact, it's the most comprehensive radio hobby magazine in the U.S.
More info: http://www.grove-ent.com/hmpgmt.html

You can write your own review of the Monitoring Times.

N2OAM Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Magazine / Ontime Delivery!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perfect combination of Scanning, SWL, Vintage restorations, Ham & reviews. As far as ontime delivery, PAY UP & get it delivered first class. In 20 plus years of subscribing to MT, just two lost issues that were quickly replaced.

KC2JFS Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2007 17:00 Send this review to a friend
The Great Unreliable Magazine  Time owned: more than 12 months
This magazine deserves a 1 for fulfillment and a 5 for content hence my score of 3. Their delivery of this magazine is mediocre at best. I still have not gotten the April issue, but just yesterday December 06 showed up. I got March but had to call about February missing. Don't you just love how the bookstores and chains have every issue 1-2 months in advance? Screw the subscribers’ right? You know what I am changing my rating to a 2.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 16:24 Send this review to a friend
The bible for all things radio...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ham radio ops have QST and CQ, CB'ers have toilet paper and for everybody else there is Monitoring Times. I have been an avid reader of MT going back to the days when it was printed on news print. Bob and the gang have put together what can truly be said is the bible for all things radio. Excellent publication.

N2JSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 23:22 Send this review to a friend
The Best Magazine Ever Written For The General Radio Hobbyist  Time owned: more than 12 months
The title of my review is quite a statement, and one that I do not make lightly. In my opinion as a long-time subscriber, Monitoring Times is the best I've read and I've been an SWL for 36 years and a licensed radio amateur for 17 years. What makes them earn such high praise?

---Knowledgeable writers with top credentials consistently produce quality articles and regular features brimming with useful information in all aspects of the radio monitoring hobby.

---The content of each monthly issue is such that if it were to contain only half of what is published, the magazine would still blow away its closest competition with respect to the quantity and quality of useful information provided.

---MT caters to all proficiency levels of hobyists, whether beginner, intermediate or advanced, w/o bias towards any one of these levels.

Anything negative about MT? Well, one critcism that on occasion I have heard from fellow radio enthusiasts about MT is that since it is published by a leading mail-order radio products dealer (Grove Enterprises), they tend to promote their sales of a given product or service at the exclusion of other dealers who offer the same things. I have, over the years, never been keenly aware of any conspiracy or ulterior motive on the part of Grove to use the magazine as SOLELY a glorified advertizing brochure. Far from it, by virtue of the contents. Too, if the above criticism held a valid point, MT would hardly, if at all, advertize and promote the products and services of competitors that they do include in every issue. Nonetheless, the criticism may be reconstructed to point out that Grove does in fact promote their company whenever possible. A debatable point indeed.

Overall I highly recommend MT to the radio monitoring hobbyist.

73, Dean

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2006 14:46 Send this review to a friend
More than just good  Time owned: more than 12 months
MT has been an enjoyable magazine to read. Articles cover most issues for a radio bum: re-doing old radios, ham, SWL and freqs, pirate radio, technical questions, etc. it is definitely worth the money.

HP1KL Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2006 10:31 Send this review to a friend
I like MT a lot!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I find MONITORING TIMES to have just about the "right mix" of electronic subjects for my taste.

I do not agree that the magazine is of little interest outside North America (I live in Panama).

A couple of times that the magazine did not make it in the mail, MT promptly mailed a duplicate. I find their service to be very attentive.

Generally well-witten; little grammar slips once in a while -- usual mix-up between "affect," "effect," "that" and "who."

I am an ARRL member and every month I have a tough time deciding which to look at first: QST or MT!

Tony Conte/HP1KL

W3JKS Rating: 2/5 Aug 3, 2004 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Wildly inaccurate at Times  Time owned: more than 12 months
Monitoring Times is an interesting read in some ways, just don't take their interpretations of what they hear on the Federal networks too seriously. Some of the folks logging the traffic have over-active imaginations or submit guesses. They also use outdated callsign information at times. Unfortunately, they don't distinguish between guesswork and verified fact.

john W3JKS

VK2DVW Rating: 1/5 Aug 3, 2004 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
Parochial. There is little here of interest to readers outside North America.

KG4YJR Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2003 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Magazine.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a scanner and shortwave listener for over 25 years. This magazine is very well worth the cover price and the customer service (I needed a special request, no problems) is fantastic. I almost considered Popular Communications but since it is published by CQ and I've had nothing but horrible experiences with their other publications, I'm glad I was steered away from them and chose MT instead. It appears that I made the right choice.

KC2KEG Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2003 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for radio monitoring  Time owned: more than 12 months
Monitoring Times had great articles about radio monitoring and scanning. There are articles about amateur radio too...but not many

Great for DXers who spend their life just to figure out what frequencies are they listening to ;-)