Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Koss SB-45 Headset Help

Reviews Summary for Koss SB-45 Headset
Koss SB-45 Headset Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$39.99
Description: Double headset with electret boom mic. Double 3.5mm stereo
phone lugs
More info: http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/SB45__SB45_Communication_Headsets

You can write your own review of the Koss SB-45 Headset.

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2017 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this headphone
Just great

KE0EYJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 4, 2017 19:09 Send this review to a friend
A bit bright, but comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Koss SB-45's are a good headset for the money. The highs on RX are a bit bright, but I find that lowering the volume to the near minimum required to hear ends up a perfect match for RX listening (and is easier on your ears).

The microphone is somewhat bass-lacking, but very clear. The ear pads are comfortable, but will likely flake-off in 2-3 years. I would give them a 4.5, if I could.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2016 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Get the SB40  Time owned: more than 12 months
As stated, the SB45 has an electret element. If this is giving you problems, get the SB40, identical to the Yamaha CM500 but with a dynamic element. I am currently using the SB40 on my FT-2000 with the following EQ settings:

Menu #
139 3
140 3200
141 10
142 1

I'm always getting unsolicited compliments on the quality of the TX audio, even on AM. I run the widest setting on SSB (4Kz) and 50-4000Hz on AM.

Some advice, cover up the rear of the element housing with some electrical tape. This will take away the "mushiness" effect. For $40 at Best Buy, how can you go wrong.

KD4W Rating: 2/5 Oct 8, 2016 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Trashed it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these based on the reviews here in eham. Mistake. The mic is omnidirectional and so damned sensitive that no matter where you set the mic gain it picks up everything in the county.
If you have the world's quietest station you may love it, but if you care what you are transmitting you should forget it.
Didn't not find it comfortable either. I tried changing the mic element and ended up throwing the thing in the trash.

K2IZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2016 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Good headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few years ago I had bought the SB/45 to listen to my music on the computer, I started using them when I got the mic/foot switch/headphone jack for my TS-590, great audio, once you adjusted the 590 for the audio I get good reports, it also works with my 480. Accidently cut the cord for the headset and there is no way these old arthritic hands and poor eyesight could have spliced that wire so I used another computer headset/mic I had laying around, noticed right away that I had to turn up the volume from where I had it with the SB-45 but it seemed muffled, reordered the SB-45, hello, all settings are now back to where they were, nice clear sound, better then the "other" ones, they go back in the drawer in case I need an emergency back again.

OE3JTB Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Fits perfect for Elecraft K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Searching for a fitting headset for the Elecraft K3, the Yamaha CM 500 is often recommended.
Unfortunately the CM-500 is not available in Europe, only in Spain, there is an importer.

Tried several others, than I found that the KOSS SB 45 sould be the same as the Yamaha CM 500
Got it for a few Euros and its amazing
Did the same settings as recommended for the CM 500 and wow, I got very good audio rapports.

And its available in whole Europe
Its a keeper.

Dont know why there is a second review thread

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2016 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Very Good - Super Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
The KOSS SB-40 is an inexpensive, well made headset that represents good value for its fairly low $35-$40 price tag. It is light weight, and reasonably durable, with "circumaural" earphone receivers - closed ear cups which go around the ears and rest on the side of the head. They do not rest on the ears, which can become uncomfortable in a short time. The SB-45 ear cups provide modest noise cancellation, and are comfortable over long sessions. The electret condenser microphone sounds good - but requires 2-10v bias voltage from the rig or an external source. Not a big deal, but something you should know before using them.

I supplied this headset as a backup/replacement for the popular Yanmaha CM-500 at a multi-multi contest shack and operators considered them equal in comfort and performance - using them with the CM-500 without comment. Simply put, they are just as good for about 30% lower cost.

The KOSS SB-45 is NOT the same headset as the KOSS SB-40, but for a different microphone, as another reviewer suggests. The SB-40 and SB-45 are completely different headsets, comprised of completely different parts. The SB-40 looks exactly like the Yamaha CM-500, but sports an inferior dynamic microphone cartridge, rather than the electret condenser microphone capsule supplied on the SB-45 and Yamaha CM-500. In contrast, the KOSS SB-49 - IS - the same headset as the SB-45, but for the addition of an-inline volume control.

Bottom line - the SB-45 is a good, inexpensive, reasonably durable headset for use with a ham radio transceiver. It sounds good, on both receive and transmit, and is reasonably well made. It is not a $200 broadcast quality headset - but gives good performance at low cost. We used this headset to set a record in a state QSO party ... so they must be good !

Just MY take. / JR /

W9BB Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2015 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset for Icoms!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an older ICOM (781) and the SB-45 works great with it as well as with my IC-7410! I was amazed...the sound (transmit monitor) in the headset it great, very comfortable and for what you pay (~$30 ish - New) you can't beat it. Very comfortable for long periods fitting around your ear, not on the ear. Would I recommend it? You bet! In a heart beat. Electrelet mic element in the SB-45, makes it very very compatible with the ICOMs I have.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2015 10:40 Send this review to a friend
Actually the SB-40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a used Heil Pro Set 6 Elite that basically fell apart on me. Not any fault of Heil, the ham I purchased it from grossly underestimated its condition. No way was I going to invest that kind of money in a headset again. I bought the SB-40 headset from Best Buy for $39 CAD. The SB-40 is identical to the SB-45 except it has the dynamic mic, not the electret. Running it on a Yaesu FT950.

The ear pads completely cover the ears, and the headset is very comfortable after extended use. I didn't get the impression my head was being squeezed like I did with the previous set. The RX audio from the Koss is very pleasant to listen to. The only complaint I read about before ordering was ops complained of muffled TX audio. I too found the audio somewhat dull, lacking the clarity of the Heil. I found by putting a piece of electrical tape over the back of the mic element housing effectively sealing it, it takes away the mushiness of the audio. The 950 now sounds fantastic with the processor either on or off.

I made my own filter from a piece of foam and a couple of small cable ties to hold it to the element housing.

The cord is nice and long, you can wander around the shack without fear of it unplugging. I would not hesitate to buy a second pair.

W3JJM Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Could Not Be Happier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
25 dollars shipped to store at WalMart. Great sound, comfort and audio. Worlds ahead of the other headset I reviewed and chucked in the trash.

A plus is the great warranty from Koss and the fact that Walmart gives you 90 days to return if unhappy (no connection with Walmart/Koss and me btw)

Hard to beat IMHO