Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | AEA HAMLINK - Telephone <-> hamradio comms unit Help

Reviews Summary for AEA HAMLINK - Telephone <-> hamradio comms unit
AEA HAMLINK - Telephone <-> hamradio comms unit Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Bought it for $75
Description: This unit connects between a hamradio and a telephone line and allows a ham to operate his station from any telephone anywhere in the world!

You can write your own review of the AEA HAMLINK - Telephone <-> hamradio comms unit.

KF6IRK Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2006 22:39 Send this review to a friend
HamLink HL-60  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just started a user/discussion group on yahoogroups for the "AEA HL-60 HanLink" and the "RL-1 RadioLink" units:

Group Email Addresses

Post message: aeahamlink@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe: aeahamlink-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe: aeahamlink-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner: aeahamlink-owner@yahoogroups.com

Feel free to join in if you have an interest and/or any good suggestions for enhancement to these marvelous devices ...

KF6IRK Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2005 15:17 Send this review to a friend
A Really GREAT Device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased both the AEA HAMLINK and RADIOLINK units years ago and remotely operated a Kenwood TS440. I could listen to what was going-on on HF while sitting at my desk speaker phone at work.

Controls: MEMORY CHANNEL UP/DOWN, switch between MEMORY CHANNEL & VFO, switch between VFO.A & VFO.B, change BAND, MODE, UP/DOWN Freqs (choice of ranges) ... really sophistocated units for their time.

They are well engineered and well built units. AEA also provided very good installation/ operation instructions.

Years later, I built an interface unit (DTMF decoder/relay bank) which allowed me to remotely switch between the HAMLINK & RADIOLINK units. I could also operate the 440 via a SONY cordless phone while watering the front lawn, etc.

These days, one can control an HF rig "portably" with the HAMLINK & a cell-phone.

COOL, eh?

I'm glad I was able to obtain them prior to AEA going under. Some day I'll see if I can interface them with my 756 PRO.

KC1QF Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2000 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Great unit in these cheap phone tarrif times!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This hamlink unit which was originally developed by ARE in Washington State, and then bought by AEA (which has since closed down) is a gem. It connects between a standard Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom radio or a radio with no serial I/F, and allows you to operate through a phone line with security and peace of mind.
I travel often and this device allows me to operate (using an Icom 746) from wherever I may be. I can do my Sunday VHF news program on FM from a second line in the garden, listen in to the TransCanada net and check what's happening to DX nets, even listen to the BBC world service. It is a pity it is not manufactured anymore. You could extend this idea of remotability to internet-radio boxes.
I also own the Radio-link which, similarly to Kenwood Sky service, allows someone to operate an HF radio from a couple of VHF radios (they can be above 220MHz thereby offering legal use in the US). Both great unit! Peter, KC1QF/VE3PPV/LX1QF, petervee@yahoo.com