Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730a Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730a
Icom IC-2730a Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $419.00
Description: VHF/UHF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730a.

KI4WCA Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2017 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance overall  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio for base/mountain topping use. I have only used it out of the car in front of my house once so...
As a dual band base radio it is excellent. The front end is intermod resistant and very sensitive. It is a fabulous dual band analog radio. It does a very good job on airband as well as for trains. It has received very good reports for audio too. It is very easy to program and I can't wait to work some satellites with it.

I paid the ridiculous 49 dollars for the bracket to attach the front panel to the body but even accounting for the money spent for that this radio is worth it. It performs wonderfully even though a 300 watt NWS station is not far as are some very strong pagers in the 150mhz range. No images or overload at all.

The only changes I would like are 4 power settings 5, 10, 25, 50 vs 5, 15, 50 as delivered.
I would like a bigger internal speaker and 5 watts of audio too. Aside from these quibbles the radio is fantastic. I love it.

If you just want an analog FM dual bander...just get one!!!

SQ5D Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 01:58 Send this review to a friend
Supercool cheap radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful smal cheap radio. It's analog radio still if it is want you want its hard to find another more userfriendly. UX is great - everything you need on front panel. Search speed is good enough. Audio is exelent. Of course it comes with no mounting brackets whatsoever with no additional items yeasu or chines manufacturers accustomed us yet it's price what compansate it. If you want additional equipment you can buy it - if you dont need it its not mandatory to pay for it. I'm useing it on base so hardo to say how it will preserve car environment but for base porpoise its duralibity is just enough.

Disadvanteges - well I have version E (Europe) and I dont have cross band repeater out of the box which is strange as its not forbidden in my country. Still you can make moddification and problem is gone.
Another probelm is fan which is ridiculously loud but as with previous disadvantege you can fix it by yourself. I've changed my fan for japaneese super-silent fan and its not an issue anymore.

Conclusions - very cheap, userfriendly, good audio radio. So when you want just analog its easy choice for you.

DV2AWN Rating: 4/5 Jul 14, 2017 08:55 Send this review to a friend
good radio, modification required for cross band operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i first wrote a review on this radio whilst i was trying to enable the cross band repeater function which i then gave only 2. i am now re-evaluating my review after having found out how to finally make the cross band repeater function work. it turned out that for non-u.s. models, there is a modification required, which is to removed a diode and a key press combination to enable cross band function. after doing this, my ic-2730a finally worked as a cross band repeater. the RX and TX is as can be expected of ICOM radios, which is to say good. build quality is also good. about the only gripes that i have is that you have to shell out extra money for mounting brackets. otherwise, i would recommend this radio with one caveat.... modification required! 73!

DV2AWN Rating: 2/5 Jul 12, 2017 06:50 Send this review to a friend
can't setup crossband repeater  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the build quality looks solid. good thing i ordered this with mounting bracket. however, i can't seem to get the crossband function setup. it didn't help that the manual did not have any chapter on this. you have to get the separate crossband setup addendum on icom webpage. however even with that addendum, i still can't make the crossband function work. right now, i'm trying to search the internet on how can i do this. there is not much documentation on the net about this. what gives icom? dissapointing.

N1AUP Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2016 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome dual bander.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the 2730 over the Kenwood, mainly because I liked the idea that I could plug the mike into the head, rather than running a separate cable back to the RF desk.

So far, I love the radio. It's like having two radios in one box, with two squelches, two tuning knobs, and two sets of buttons. I find the white display easy to see both in sunlight and darkness, and the features are easy to use. I didn't bother to manually program the unit. I bought a real cable for $25 off of Ebay, and used the Icom software. The public domain software does not yet talk to this unit.

Radio is far more sensitive than my 706, and it doesn't seem to be bothered by intermod or other kinds of interference.

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2016 14:59 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
upgraded from a ft8800,to this beast.. whats not to like.. huge readout. backlighting in the buttons,and overall great build.. it was fairly easy to program,and the audio is fabulous.. ive had people notice the difference.i bought it new,with a free mobile bracket for the body..velco the faceplate to the body.. never a problem. you will have to make a 2-3 inch jumper for the control head,as it does not come with a shorty..

OZ1HMN Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2016 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Generally working well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Don't want to repeat other already mentioned stuff, just my additions.

1) I have a number of times been forced to turn the unit off and on again to get RX Audio through. I can see in the display that there is RX activity, but no audio heard. Off/On cured it every time. But in my init???

2) I have see moist/damp inside the display if used in moist/damp weather.

3) I wished that RX audio would be present directly in the mic connector.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This dual band mobile radio is relatively inexpensive and works very well. Even considering the mounting hardware it's still cheaper than the Kenwood.

The screen is fantastic and I find manual programming doesn't take long. Simultaneous V/V and U/U operation is really cool.

The free programming software from ICOM works as it should. I use "Ron's CSV editor" to create a list of local repeaters to import directly into the ICOM software, rather than typing into the ICOM software directly - this is because it's much easier to paste a whole stack of channels from EXCEL into Ron's editor than the ICOM software.

Other good points I noticed:
- Fast scanning
- Adequate built-in speaker (good enough for me)
- Solid build quality
- Lots of controls on the remote mic head

Bad points:
- No TNC/data port for APRS etc.
- Only 6 alphanumeric characters for memory names.

KE8CDH Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio. I've got two of them!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first radio when I got my tech ticket in Sept 2014. Menu system is very easy to use. It is a deep menu system but you only access two menu items when programing repeaters into the radio. Real easy to use. I decided to buy another for the house when I took my car down to Chicago. Wife was reading off repeater frequencies and I was programing them in just as fast as she was reading them down I94. Very easy to use. Performance is top notch. Fan is a bit loud but I've mounted the radio in the trunk and ran it up under the carpet and used the GPS style mount to mount the head on my dashboard. Most basic controls can be used by the microphone (channel section and keypad). Would I buy another for my other vehicle? YES I definitely would. Best value for a basic 2m/440 radio.

KD4EG Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2016 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio, Limited Manual, Disappointed in Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will have to concur with all the reviews reports form earlier users. The operation and performance of this radio is among the best. But Icom really losing a moral compass without including proper mounting hardware. The plastic interface between the radio and the control head is a $50.00 accessory. For performance I will rate as a 5. I feel kinda cheated when it comes to value. I would rate as a 2.