Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730a Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730a
Icom IC-2730a Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $419.00
Description: VHF/UHF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730a.

YELLOWLEMON Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This dual band mobile radio is relatively inexpensive and works very well. Even considering the mounting hardware it's still cheaper than the Kenwood.

The screen is fantastic and I find manual programming doesn't take long. Simultaneous V/V and U/U operation is really cool.

The free programming software from ICOM works as it should. I use "Ron's CSV editor" to create a list of local repeaters to import directly into the ICOM software, rather than typing into the ICOM software directly - this is because it's much easier to paste a whole stack of channels from EXCEL into Ron's editor than the ICOM software.

Other good points I noticed:
- Fast scanning
- Adequate built-in speaker (good enough for me)
- Solid build quality
- Lots of controls on the remote mic head

Bad points:
- No TNC/data port for APRS etc.
- Only 6 alphanumeric characters for memory names.

KE8CDH Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great radio. I've got two of them!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first radio when I got my tech ticket in Sept 2014. Menu system is very easy to use. It is a deep menu system but you only access two menu items when programing repeaters into the radio. Real easy to use. I decided to buy another for the house when I took my car down to Chicago. Wife was reading off repeater frequencies and I was programing them in just as fast as she was reading them down I94. Very easy to use. Performance is top notch. Fan is a bit loud but I've mounted the radio in the trunk and ran it up under the carpet and used the GPS style mount to mount the head on my dashboard. Most basic controls can be used by the microphone (channel section and keypad). Would I buy another for my other vehicle? YES I definitely would. Best value for a basic 2m/440 radio.

KD4EG Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2016 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio, Limited Manual, Disappointed in Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will have to concur with all the reviews reports form earlier users. The operation and performance of this radio is among the best. But Icom really losing a moral compass without including proper mounting hardware. The plastic interface between the radio and the control head is a $50.00 accessory. For performance I will rate as a 5. I feel kinda cheated when it comes to value. I would rate as a 2.

N3OVT Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2015 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Overall, I'm happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the display! Large and easy to view. The radio is basically split in two sections right down the middle and that helps with operating the radio. I don't object to Icom not including mounting options since there are so many ways to mount most of the new radios but if you are going to sell us basic accessories like mounts, at least price them reasonably. The prices they are asking for a piece of metal bent to accommodate the radio itself, as well as the other brackets, is RIDICULOUS! The internal speaker sounds horrible! Very tinny! Additionally... this particular radio pretty much requires remote mounting due to the excessive fan noise. I want the radio to run cool but there has to be a better way. This fan is LOUD! Not much fun to program manually so I bought to RT Systems software and it works beautifully. I think the 4 rating is appropriate since overall, the radio seems to be quite the bargain even with its issues.

PA1XL Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
* Bought all the mounting options for maximum flexibility.

* Very sensitive, no intermod.

* Scanning options are very sophisticated, actually more sophisticated that many dedicated scanner-receivers!

* However: it is complicated. The massive waterfall of (menu) options may bother you. If you don't touch the rig for a month, you may have to start all over to get to know it.

* Don't even try to program the rig manually! I bought the RT Systems programmer, which is a masterpiece on itself. You can easily copy and paste channel settings from any spreadsheet, regardless of its layout! Well done!

* The on-board speaker is a joke. Don't even fire it up for the first thime without a 8 Ohm communications speaker attached to it!

KF5IRG Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2015 04:35 Send this review to a friend
updated comment on 2730a from kf5irg  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
do not know why my resolution comment never got posted? oh well lost in the cloud probably.
The hum issue was resolved by the friendly staff at Icom issue was duplicated by them by manually lowering the voltage to the unit. so with that in mind i took a look at my install, I connected my unit to the accessories post on the truck under the hood and due to the additional length fron distance from battery was far enough to create a v drop to the rig with engine off same in the shack so i just removed/cut any extra length off power cord and walla v drop gone. Also the is rig has 2 mic inputs one on body and one on control head. this is nice as now i can with my echolink node plug in rigblaster nomic in to one and supplied mic in other very convenient. gave only 4 stars due to the fact no mounting hw included and rig
has NO 6 pin data port but has ci-v IRLP node radio? But all in all a good rig and easy to see, controls work well sound is good, pumps out good audio and signal and dtmf keys work. No worrries so far, using as node radio for EL at 100% duty cycle on 20 watts with extra cooling of course! All in all a good rig i think.

N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2015 16:33 Send this review to a friend
So Far A Great Purchase!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up my IC-2730A second hand at a fairly good price. I was surprised to see that the rig does not include the mobile mounting bracket but that for me was not a show-stopper as a rig this nice will likely be used mostly in my shack vice the car. I lucked out as the faceplate mount was included in my purchase from another ham. I programmed the rig using the RT-series software which was included in my deal. The software made programming all my local frequencies a simple and enjoyable task. The rig's audio sounds great and the display is very easy to read from across the room. I experimented with different mobile mounting options and found a good one is the MaCally MCUPMP. The MaCally is made for small tablets and works fine with the IC-2730A control head (the holder's base expands into any cup holder). The MaCally mount is about $14 on Amazon.com. The rig has a fast scan rate and an overall excellent set of features. I have enjoyed the time I have spent operating it. So far, for the investment I made, I am very satisfied with the ICOM IC-2730A.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Analog dual band perfected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hear the least intermod with this rig than any dual-bander I have ever owned.

I took a variable power supply down below 12V and the radio kept working.

I placed the body of the radio in my center console storage area and used a cellphone-type suction cup mount for the head on the dash. Cost-$5.

True 50 watts on both bands as confirmed by Bird wattmeter into dummy load.

I bought my first one used on ebay and soon after I got it, the VHF band became weak. ICOM fixed it FREE UNDER WARRANTY as the warranty is TRANSFERABLE!! Now I have two, one in the house and one mobile.

Display is superb. Large, bright, visible from across the room and without reading glasses. It looks "modern" when compared with the rather sickening green or amber we usually see.

I have only experimented with crossband repeat but it worked great.

This radio has many more features than the venerable FT-8800R that was my most recent dual-bander. (It should have, it is a much newer design.) It is easy to program by hand or with the RT Systems software.

I am very pleased with the radio, Mr. Ray Novak from ICOM who informed me about the transferable warranty, and Matt Adrian who fixed it under warranty and shipped it back the day after it arrived at his facility in Michigan.

I can't see analog dual banders getting much better than this.

KT4HT Rating: 2/5 Jun 17, 2015 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Inter-mod!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My issue with the rig is inter-mod. I have a rather lengthy commute to work and transverse several areas. There are multiple areas where inter-mod either breaks through the squelch with noise, or is strong enough to prevent normal signals from getting through. Very disappointing.

The lack of mounting hardware is something I knew about going into the rig, but my local dealer fixed me up gratis with a bracket from an older Icom rig (don't know which) and some screws he had laying around. I use heavy duty 3M double sided tape to hold the control head to a Panavise bracket in the front of my vehicle; the radio is mounted in the rear hatchback area. I do agree though with the other reviewers that cite the rig's cost getting totally out of control after you factor in the hardware.

The monotone display issue cited in an earlier review also factored into my rating. It is rather harsh at night even with the brightness turned low. I was again disappointed to learn that the display color couldn't be changed.

WB5JJJ Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Restarts on VHF TX mobile high power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Also very disappointed with ICOM for not including at least the minimum mounting hardware to make a desktop or mobile installation work out of the box.

However, I was informed at purchase that NO MOUNTING HARDWARE was included. I guess this is OK, if and only IF you are aware of this on the front end by the seller, as I was. At least you have a choice as to which way to go. Since I bought 2 of them, one for car and one for shack, I didn't end up with any "extra" hardware.

I used the included RT Systems software to program the first rig and that went without a hitch. So the rig was up and running in no time. Just took some time to get it mounted in the car.

Here is the reason for my "OK" rating. I have experienced several restart instances with the rig since I put one in the car. Thinking it might be just THAT radio, I swapped the box and control head out with the other 2730a and the same thing continued to happen.

I'm attached directly to the battery positive and a solid vehicle body ground nearby. Since many new cars sample battery drain via the negative terminal to the computer, a connection to the battery negative terminal may cause battery charging problems when using high current devices. This was the same connection that I used for my IC-7000 HF/6m rig that I had in there previously. I also have a braided ground wire from the chassis to a mounting screw on the radio bracket. There is no "Gnd" screw as such, to use.

On high power, both rigs produce 50+ watts on VHF and UHF with 13.5v from my 30A power supply. I don't have this restart problem from the Shack where either rig can run 50w on V/U to a Diamond dual band antenna at 40' on my tower.

However, with either rig in the car, I can not run over 15w on VHF without a restart of the rig. The SWR is below 1.5:1 on a Comet dual band antenna.

Monitoring the vehicle battery voltage on an external volt meter shows 14.5vdc. So, I added RF chokes at each end of the remote cable as well as the DC power cable near the radio. They did not help.

After further mobile testing, I found that on UHF, I could operate on high power with no problems, it's just VHF that causes the restart.

It sounds to me like ICOM didn't take mobile operation into serious consideration during shielding or DC power development of the IC-2730a.

Obviously, it's either sensing a very slight drop in DC voltage or RF getting into the radio control circuits. Not that I need 50w to communicate, it could be a PITA if I was traveling and wanted to continue a QSO at a longer distance from the repeater.

If anybody has any ideas as to the root cause of this problem, I would like to hear from you.