Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-2730a Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-2730a
Icom IC-2730a Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $419.00
Description: VHF/UHF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-2730a.

N3OVT Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2015 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Overall, I'm happy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the display! Large and easy to view. The radio is basically split in two sections right down the middle and that helps with operating the radio. I don't object to Icom not including mounting options since there are so many ways to mount most of the new radios but if you are going to sell us basic accessories like mounts, at least price them reasonably. The prices they are asking for a piece of metal bent to accommodate the radio itself, as well as the other brackets, is RIDICULOUS! The internal speaker sounds horrible! Very tinny! Additionally... this particular radio pretty much requires remote mounting due to the excessive fan noise. I want the radio to run cool but there has to be a better way. This fan is LOUD! Not much fun to program manually so I bought to RT Systems software and it works beautifully. I think the 4 rating is appropriate since overall, the radio seems to be quite the bargain even with its issues.

PA1XL Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
* Bought all the mounting options for maximum flexibility.

* Very sensitive, no intermod.

* Scanning options are very sophisticated, actually more sophisticated that many dedicated scanner-receivers!

* However: it is complicated. The massive waterfall of (menu) options may bother you. If you don't touch the rig for a month, you may have to start all over to get to know it.

* Don't even try to program the rig manually! I bought the RT Systems programmer, which is a masterpiece on itself. You can easily copy and paste channel settings from any spreadsheet, regardless of its layout! Well done!

* The on-board speaker is a joke. Don't even fire it up for the first thime without a 8 Ohm communications speaker attached to it!

KF5IRG Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2015 04:35 Send this review to a friend
updated comment on 2730a from kf5irg  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
do not know why my resolution comment never got posted? oh well lost in the cloud probably.
The hum issue was resolved by the friendly staff at Icom issue was duplicated by them by manually lowering the voltage to the unit. so with that in mind i took a look at my install, I connected my unit to the accessories post on the truck under the hood and due to the additional length fron distance from battery was far enough to create a v drop to the rig with engine off same in the shack so i just removed/cut any extra length off power cord and walla v drop gone. Also the is rig has 2 mic inputs one on body and one on control head. this is nice as now i can with my echolink node plug in rigblaster nomic in to one and supplied mic in other very convenient. gave only 4 stars due to the fact no mounting hw included and rig
has NO 6 pin data port but has ci-v IRLP node radio? But all in all a good rig and easy to see, controls work well sound is good, pumps out good audio and signal and dtmf keys work. No worrries so far, using as node radio for EL at 100% duty cycle on 20 watts with extra cooling of course! All in all a good rig i think.

N4SAX Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2015 16:33 Send this review to a friend
So Far A Great Purchase!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up my IC-2730A second hand at a fairly good price. I was surprised to see that the rig does not include the mobile mounting bracket but that for me was not a show-stopper as a rig this nice will likely be used mostly in my shack vice the car. I lucked out as the faceplate mount was included in my purchase from another ham. I programmed the rig using the RT-series software which was included in my deal. The software made programming all my local frequencies a simple and enjoyable task. The rig's audio sounds great and the display is very easy to read from across the room. I experimented with different mobile mounting options and found a good one is the MaCally MCUPMP. The MaCally is made for small tablets and works fine with the IC-2730A control head (the holder's base expands into any cup holder). The MaCally mount is about $14 on Amazon.com. The rig has a fast scan rate and an overall excellent set of features. I have enjoyed the time I have spent operating it. So far, for the investment I made, I am very satisfied with the ICOM IC-2730A.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 02:54 Send this review to a friend
Analog dual band perfected!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hear the least intermod with this rig than any dual-bander I have ever owned.

I took a variable power supply down below 12V and the radio kept working.

I placed the body of the radio in my center console storage area and used a cellphone-type suction cup mount for the head on the dash. Cost-$5.

True 50 watts on both bands as confirmed by Bird wattmeter into dummy load.

I bought my first one used on ebay and soon after I got it, the VHF band became weak. ICOM fixed it FREE UNDER WARRANTY as the warranty is TRANSFERABLE!! Now I have two, one in the house and one mobile.

Display is superb. Large, bright, visible from across the room and without reading glasses. It looks "modern" when compared with the rather sickening green or amber we usually see.

I have only experimented with crossband repeat but it worked great.

This radio has many more features than the venerable FT-8800R that was my most recent dual-bander. (It should have, it is a much newer design.) It is easy to program by hand or with the RT Systems software.

I am very pleased with the radio, Mr. Ray Novak from ICOM who informed me about the transferable warranty, and Matt Adrian who fixed it under warranty and shipped it back the day after it arrived at his facility in Michigan.

I can't see analog dual banders getting much better than this.

KT4HT Rating: 2/5 Jun 17, 2015 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Inter-mod!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My issue with the rig is inter-mod. I have a rather lengthy commute to work and transverse several areas. There are multiple areas where inter-mod either breaks through the squelch with noise, or is strong enough to prevent normal signals from getting through. Very disappointing.

The lack of mounting hardware is something I knew about going into the rig, but my local dealer fixed me up gratis with a bracket from an older Icom rig (don't know which) and some screws he had laying around. I use heavy duty 3M double sided tape to hold the control head to a Panavise bracket in the front of my vehicle; the radio is mounted in the rear hatchback area. I do agree though with the other reviewers that cite the rig's cost getting totally out of control after you factor in the hardware.

The monotone display issue cited in an earlier review also factored into my rating. It is rather harsh at night even with the brightness turned low. I was again disappointed to learn that the display color couldn't be changed.

WB5JJJ Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Restarts on VHF TX mobile high power  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Also very disappointed with ICOM for not including at least the minimum mounting hardware to make a desktop or mobile installation work out of the box.

However, I was informed at purchase that NO MOUNTING HARDWARE was included. I guess this is OK, if and only IF you are aware of this on the front end by the seller, as I was. At least you have a choice as to which way to go. Since I bought 2 of them, one for car and one for shack, I didn't end up with any "extra" hardware.

I used the included RT Systems software to program the first rig and that went without a hitch. So the rig was up and running in no time. Just took some time to get it mounted in the car.

Here is the reason for my "OK" rating. I have experienced several restart instances with the rig since I put one in the car. Thinking it might be just THAT radio, I swapped the box and control head out with the other 2730a and the same thing continued to happen.

I'm attached directly to the battery positive and a solid vehicle body ground nearby. Since many new cars sample battery drain via the negative terminal to the computer, a connection to the battery negative terminal may cause battery charging problems when using high current devices. This was the same connection that I used for my IC-7000 HF/6m rig that I had in there previously. I also have a braided ground wire from the chassis to a mounting screw on the radio bracket. There is no "Gnd" screw as such, to use.

On high power, both rigs produce 50+ watts on VHF and UHF with 13.5v from my 30A power supply. I don't have this restart problem from the Shack where either rig can run 50w on V/U to a Diamond dual band antenna at 40' on my tower.

However, with either rig in the car, I can not run over 15w on VHF without a restart of the rig. The SWR is below 1.5:1 on a Comet dual band antenna.

Monitoring the vehicle battery voltage on an external volt meter shows 14.5vdc. So, I added RF chokes at each end of the remote cable as well as the DC power cable near the radio. They did not help.

After further mobile testing, I found that on UHF, I could operate on high power with no problems, it's just VHF that causes the restart.

It sounds to me like ICOM didn't take mobile operation into serious consideration during shielding or DC power development of the IC-2730a.

Obviously, it's either sensing a very slight drop in DC voltage or RF getting into the radio control circuits. Not that I need 50w to communicate, it could be a PITA if I was traveling and wanted to continue a QSO at a longer distance from the repeater.

If anybody has any ideas as to the root cause of this problem, I would like to hear from you.

KL7BX Rating: 2/5 May 15, 2015 19:28 Send this review to a friend
A Step BACKWARD from the IC-2720H in SEVERAL Ways  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a retired (21-years active duty US military veteran) Air Force communications maintenance technician & electronics Instructor, now working as an ETA Certified Electronic Technician, and am also a Motorola-certified Radio Systems Technician, doing maintenance and repairs on numerous radio sets/systems.

I realized I missed several Pro AND Con points in my previous Review, so here's an updated version. grab some caffeine and make yourself comfortable!! This is a DOOZEY of a LOOOOOONNNGGG review. (Some might say it's a "Short Story" or a "Novel".) But it WILL most likely give you the info you'll need, in order to make an informed decision about the viability of buying one of these new radios.

I just bought a new ICOM IC-2730A mobile dual-band radio set from a retail HAM radio vendor at a local Hamfest a couple weeks ago, but didn't get the opportunity to open the box until just today, and made the unexpected and disheartening discovery. The ICOM radio sets don't include ANY mounting brackets, or ANY mounting screws!!! Either for the main chassis/body, OR the Control Head!!! Excuse me?!?!? What the _ _ _ _ _ _???? (Fill in your own thoughts here).

I called ICOM America to verify whether this was a packing/shipping error, or if it is now the "norm" (for ICOM radio equipment sales) these days, and was told by the Technical Support agent over the phone, "Well, I probably won't be able to get an answer for you for several days, because most of our Sales reps are at the Dayton HAM-vention this week, and this is a Sales matter."

I can understand if ICOM would have included at least a bracket/adapter that would allow the owner to attach the Control Head assembly directly to the main chassis, but they don't even provide that part either!! So, not only can you NOT mount the main body to anything (right out of the box), but you can't even make the pieces into one complete unit, without buying way over-priced hardware (which always came WITH the radio sets in the past).

And the width of the IC-2730A main Chassis (and Control Head) is NOT as narrow as the IC-2720H, so you can't just use any of the older 2720H radio mounting brackets (without extreme modifications and some time-consuming labor at the bench vise).

Oh, and Thank You ICOM engineers, for changing the physical SIZE of the mounting screws (required to mount the Control Head to anything) to a funky NON-STANDARD Metric 2.6 mm diameter, so even the formerly used 3 mm screws from previous ICOM radio's Control heads are NOT compatible with the new IC-2730A Control Head! GREAT idea folks!

When I bought the new IC-2730A radio for under $400, I THOUGHT I was getting a good deal, based on the price, but that's no longer the case. Seems to me the idea of NOT including the required mounting brackets (nor the associated special-size mounting screws) is tantamount to selling a new car without any tires on the rims, and no steering wheel. (Tires and steering wheels on new cars should now be considered as "optional items", ICOM???)

The 2720H radios at least came with EVERYTHING needed to do at least a minimal vehicular installation.

I also researched the advertised as "free" downloadable ICOM CS-2730A Cloning Software (their website says the Cloning Software Download feature is presently "Coming Soon") and FINALLY accidentally stumbled across the right path to find and download the software. Took me over an hour to find it. Now I can't even remember how I found it!

I have five older generation ICOM IC-2720H mobile radios that I LOVE, and I actually thought the 2730A would be an UPGRADE when I bought it. This idea is only PARTIALLY viable.

Sure, the 2730A supposedly has full 50 watts transmit RF output power on each of the bands (as compared to only the 50W/35W combo of the 2720H), but at least the IC-2720H gives you two different CHOICES of available back-lighting colors; The 2730A doesn't.

The IC-2730A radio only offers backlighting in an Off-White colored version LCD display. And the off-white color of the IC-2730A creates what can be a harsh/annoying glare in a vehicle driver's immediate viewing area during night-time driving, and can even affect a driver's safety by temporarily wiping out your usable night vision after looking at the white-ish colored display for more than just a few seconds while driving in total darkness. That's a step BACKWARD in my opinion. Most "upgrades" on systems INCLUDE and improve upon previous version radio's capabilities, not get RID of them!!

Oh, by the way, I just put the supposedly 50 Watt rated output transmit power IC-2730A on our repair shop's Motorola Radio Communications Systems Analyzer, with a variable voltage 50 Amp power supply set at anywhere between 13.6 to 14.2 volts providing power to the radio, to check it out before installing it. This particular "brand new" IC-2730A radio only put out 40 Watts in FM transmit mode!!! Way to go, ICOM!!! Ever heard of Quality Control??

Another feature of the IC-2730A I believe ICOM blew it on: They provided the programming capability (at least within the RT Systems Radio Cloning software) to allow setting of different PL Tone frequencies for Transmit vs. Receive modes, but they didn't give the same consideration to the DTCS Code usages. Makes no sense to me that they didn't do the upgrade on BOTH of the sub-audible access-control (Tone & Code) modes.

The IC-2730A DOES have a new feature the 2720H doesn't have, which is the capability to Name channels, and have the display show the Name rather than the frequency. But the Name feature only allows a total of 6 characters. Way too short, to be practical. It needs to be able to store and display at LEAST 8 to 10 characters in my opinion, to be functionally practical. The channel naming utility being limited to only 6 characters makes it fairly useless, and therefore really isn't a usable improvement on the older IC-2720H.

The new larger physical size of the IC-2730A radio's LCD Display segments make's more than 6 characters impossible to fit on the display screen. I never had any problem seeing the slightly smaller sized LCD Display segments on my older IC-2720H radios, and don't really see the need for the larger size lettering. My suggestion would be to decrease the lettering/character SIZE, and allow MORE CHARACTERS to be displayed on the screen, instead. Either that, or have the Name shown on a separate line of the display BELOW the frequency.

The new IC-2730A DOES have 5 times the number of programmable Memory Channels available (as compared to the older IC-2720H), but without the Name convention being sized large enough to identify respective Memory Channel Names, for each of the 1,000 Memory Channels, who in the world could POSSIBLY ever remember what frequencies belong to what repeater or agency without a viable Name being shown? The Name being more characters in length to more easily identify each channel individually is the only practical way to make that many Memory Channels viable to store and recall for usage.

I haven't bought any NEW equipment in a couple decades, so maybe I'm just out of touch with the present manufacturer's version of sales practice reality these days. I'm wondering if ALL the major manufacturers gone the same route these days, as far as NOT including mounting hardware????? What's next, Optional power cords??? Optional speakers?

I'm REGRETTING ever having made this purchase. Had I known in advance, I never would have spent the money to buy this radio set. I much rather would have spent the money repairing the older generation IC-2720H radio sets, if and when they should ever fail me.

"KEEP IT SIMPLE", ICOM, and give us customers what we need as a complete package, instead of milking us or "Nickel-and-Diming" us to death with having to buy NEEDED items seperately; Mounting brackets and the associated screws are NOT "Accessory Items"; They are MINIMUM requirements! Don't hold us at "Ransom" for what are truly MINIMUM REQUIRED ITEMS that have ALWAYS been provided in the past!

I definitely will NOT be replacing my older generation fleet of 2720H radios with the newer 2730's anytime soon, based on ICOM's practice of holding mounting hardware as "ransom". I'll either fabricate my own mounting materials, or pay someone ELSE locally to make them for me, just to keep ICOM from getting any more of my hard-earned money.

Have a great day folks. 73 and keep Hamming.

2E0SDR Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2015 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Radio Brilliant, NO Accessories  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always in the past used, either Yaesu or Kenwood radio's, I thought I would purchase my first Icom radio, the IC-2730E.

The radio itself is flawless, I am more then happy with it's performance and layout.

The only thing that I hate is the lack of a head mount, or even a transceiver mount, come on Icom, you have spoilt it for me really, there is no need not to give us the basics, as shame, but as I said, the radio is excellent.

N6MTS Rating: 4/5 Apr 27, 2015 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Must have been designed by an operator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I used to use Icom radios years ago and eventually got into a Yeasu groove that just finally proved frustrating. Their mobile "mechanical control head designs" are horrible.

So when Icom first advertised this new IC-2730A radio, I took a good hard look at how the control head and front panel is laid out. This is just plain smart design for mobile use. The controls are ALL backlit and the buttons are readable in the dark (with magnifying classes). The display appearance is outstanding and very well lit and dimmable too.

The radio functionally performs very well with no noticeable bad effects. The time-adjustable squelch is great at eliminating chopping on weak signals (totally unlike Yaesu). The fan is noticeable but not at all obnoxious and is fully automatic when needed.

There are exactly 1000 channels broken down into 10 separate 100-channel banks. It receives the AM aircraft channels just flawless. The layout of the volume and squelch controls are all separate knobs and placed in a guarded area of the control panel (not on the outer corners where everything hits them, like Yaesu). Also the volume and squelch controls are additionally adjustable from buttons on the fully-backlit microphone too. Icom went overboard on adding various scanning options and YES it does scan FAST, very fast.

Channel programming can be quickly done all on the radio and little effort "after leaning the routine". And YES the CS-2730 programming software, from the Icom website, is simply a snap to use. It operates easier than CHIRP and it is also FREE from Icom.

The only disappointment (which killed my 5-star rating) is the total lack of ANY mounting hardware or basic brackets with this radio. To have to buy a separate mounting bracket is downright insulting to the customer. And then to rape the customer another $30 for a simple iron bracket is JUST WRONG. Being that cheap, it amazes me that the radio itself is such a rugged compact design.

I'm definitely glad I bought it and highly recommend it to anybody who is not into the digital games.