Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | JK Antennas - Navassa 5 Help

Reviews Summary for JK Antennas - Navassa 5
JK Antennas - Navassa 5 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,185.00
Description: HF Yagi for 10, 12, 15,17 & 20 Meter Amateur Radio Bands
More info: http://jkantennas.com

You can write your own review of the JK Antennas - Navassa 5.

K5AV Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2017 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Working Great!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna continues to amaze me. More on performance later.

While the antenna was in-transit, I read the instructions which are available in PDF on the JK antenna page. That was a huge help as it prep’d me for the assembly which went smoothly. Had it done by my self in a few days. Aka 6-8 hours. I did get the balun with it (optional) and only 5 feet off the ground, all bands were below 2:1. At 50’, everything came down even more. At less than 50 lbs, it was very manageable as I did the entire install solo.

Now for the good part; let me disclaim I was using wire antennas prior to the Navassa 5. I am hearing/working stations during the same time/same band that I could not even hear with the 20 meter inverted vee. If I can hear them, I can work them. At first I was skeptical regarding the 12’ boom but not anymore. I can hear an EU station at 57 to 58 and go 90 degrees and he is barley a whisper or noting at all. With F/B, it will go from 57 – 58 down to little movement on the meter.

So I now have 5 bands on one feedline at less than 1:5 across. Or another way to say it is a 2 element monobander but for 5 bands that share the same boom. The element config is Driven/Reflector for all but 10 and it is a Drive/Director.

I have no amp and so far with this antenna, I have not needed one. If I don’t get them on the first call, always the second.

Also Ken at JK antennas was very personable and customer service driven. He did not give me the hard sell which I dislike. Only gave me the facts and answered all my questions. Kudos to Ken!

Anyway, I love this antenna!!!

de John K5AV

W1LGU Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 10:55 Send this review to a friend
My Dream Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had spent many hours researching antennas when a friend, who had purchased a Navassa 5, introduced me to JK Antennas and this amazing yagi. After a thorough investigation, a lot more searching, and a lengthy conversation with Ken of JK, I decided that this antenna was the one for me. And I have not in the least been disappointed! I had help putting it together, but my team commented throughout the assembly how clear the instructions were, how well the parts were machined to fit, and the excellent quality of the materials. When some bolts that were not the correct size were encountered, a quick call to JK and we had the replacement bolts the very next day! Can't get better service than that! My Navassa 5 is now situated on an 8 foot tower on my roof, and I have had outstanding results. I opted to get the 6 meter element added, and have also enjoyed my first experiences on that band, as well as having a great time working many new DX stations. For quality construction, U.S. made, and incomparable personalized service, this is the antenna for which I had been searching so long.

N8RU Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2017 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
When a catastrophic storm in 2015 took down my tower and excellent Bencher Skyhawk tribander, a good friend suggested I consider rebuilding with a stacked pair of short Yagis, as has been popular in past years with the Force 12 C3. The Navassa-5 surfaced as being well suited for this purpose, with material improvements when compared to the C3, including the bonus of WARC-band coverage.

The installation I chose was two Navassas on a rebuilt 70’ tower. The top antenna rotates, while the bottom is fixed on EU. A WX0B Stack Match switches the combination. After two seasons of use, both in contests and chasing DX, this has proven to be an excellent antenna in all regards: with ease of assembly, quality build, engineering, and performance.

Fit and finish are exceptional. Everything goes together as it should, machining is precise, holes are aligned and deburred. The instruction manual is well illustrated, clear, and unambiguous. Components are of outstanding quality; especially notable are the boom-to-element assemblies which have substantial CNC-machined aluminum clamps (rather than the usual U-bolts). Elements and components are clearly marked and packaged separately. As a result, putting the antenna together was straightforward with no surprises. Also, when it came to making adjustments to my favored operating frequencies, JK’s Ken Garg was quick to advise the necessary element lengths to make things work to my preference.

Under current sunspot conditions, performance has been excellent. This has been true both in the stacked-pair configuration and using a single antenna.

As a stacked pair: The combination yields consistent reports of excellent or superior signal strength against those for other NA stations on 17, as well as 15 meters when open. For 10 and 12, conditions have not been consistent enough for an objective assessment, but experience to date suggests one should expect the same kind of performance on those bands. While the stack height I am using optimizes for 17 meters and above, 20-meter performance has been very good. Once settled to a 20-meter calling frequency, I have held position and sustained long runs in the contests I have entered. (If not constrained to use existing guy anchors spaced for a 70’ tower, my preference would have been to rebuild the tower to 90’ for optimal performance on all bands.)

Single-antenna performance: Using a single Navassa-5 switched out of the stack, DX performance has been surprising for such a compact antenna. By the consistent success I’ve had making DX contacts - including getting through some nasty pileups - it has exceeded what I’d expect from two elements per band on a 12' boom.

The JK Navassa-5 should be an attractive choice for anyone looking for a compact, five-band Yagi. It is a quality, solidly engineered antenna, performing very well in both stand-alone and stacked configurations.

KB0SS Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Great 5 Band Yagi  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After spending months reading specs, comparing antennas, reading reviews and comparing again and talking to the manufacturers, I finally bought a JK Navassa-5 + the 6m add-on antenna. I have not been disappointed!

The Navassa-5 Antenna is a best of class antenna and is a 5+ in my book.

If you have a question, you call or leave a message and your phone rings 5-10 minutes later. That's great customer service. I've never experienced customer service this good.

The antenna comes in 2 boxes. The assembly instructions are well written and it goes together easily. It is very well constructed and solidly built. There is ALOT of aluminum in this antenna. With stainless steel bolts/nuts for element joints and mounting, this antenna is going to out last many other antennas. The element section joints are predrilled so it is impossible to get the element dimensions wrong. The antenna transmission line is a nice design to give you 20-10M and with the 6M add-on – 6 bands – single coax. During assembly I mounted the antenna on a 5 ft pipe. I verified all measurements, element positioning, and made sure the SWR on all bands was reasonable this close to ground – and to verify I made no mistakes in assembly. After that we lifted the antenna off the pipe and walked it over to the tilted over tower. We got it mounted to the mast and coaxed in about ½ hr – then raised the tower – and remeasured the SWR on all bands – right on specs!

My Navassa-5 is mounted on a Heights Tower Systems 100mph 60 ft aluminum tilt over tower – 200 ft from the shack. We did have a nasty high wind front move thru – 65 mph gusts. I was worried about the antenna. The Navassa-5 is designed to withstand 100mph winds so it took the wind burst just fine. This antenna is the most well built antenna I have seen.

The antenna works really well! No tuner needed – I work SSB mainly. Rapidly switching bands is a very nice feature when you have 6 bands at your fingertips. The Navassa-5 can also take the power. With legal limit just rotate, transmit and be heard on usually the first or second call even in those most crazy pileups. Really nice combination. I have not had any problems making contacts on 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10m

The performance measured so far is right on the specs from the factory. It is a strong, light, broad banded antenna. Like others comments, I am seeing 1-2S units on the edges depending on the distance, and maybe 3-4 S units 90 degrees to the ideal heading.

You won't be disappointed with this antenna!

W1AST Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2017 16:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After spending 3 months reading specs, comparing antennas, reading reviews and comparing again and talking to the manufacturers, I finally bought a JK Antenna Navassa-5 + the 6m add-on. I have to say I have not been disappointed!

I ordered it while at Dayton in 2016. It arrived a few days after I got home and then unpacked it and started assembling it. The directions are easy to understand and well written. AND if you have a question, you call and Ken, the owner answers or you leave a message and your phone rings 5 minutes later. That's exceptional customer service.

Ken listens, asks his own questions and if you don't understand what he's asking, he rephrases it and then answers your questions. I've never experienced customer service this good for anything, ever.

The antenna comes boxed in 2 boxes and once it's all laid out it can be a bit overwhelming seeing all that aluminum. But it goes together very easily. It is very well constructed and solidly built. At my antenna party, all my helpers were very impressed by the workmanship.

I did have some freaky winter wx this past year and I was worried about the antenna. 2 very heavy snow storms and some freaky 70 mph winds and the Navassa-5 is still up there in it's normal configuration.

It weighs 60 lbs assembled, which was heavier than my antenna party friends on the roof expected. But it went up easy. Mine is mounted on a 8 foot roof tower and just a few feet above that on a pole. total height around 35 feet up.

I have to say it works fabulous! No tuner needed on any band and I work cw and ssb mainly. Rotate and point and be heard in all but the most crazy pileups. Whether I run 25, 100 or 500 watts. My signal is heard and I get great signal reports. This antenna works!

It's been up nearly a year now and I am still thrilled by it's performance and workmanship. I made the right choice.

What's nice is I've wanted something on 6m and the warc bands for years and now have it. When 6 opens, I just point and shoot. I've had some fun as my KPA500 amp does 500 watts on 6 and that really makes 6m shine when it opens!

My friend W1LGU just bought one and I started helping her assemble it the other day. We had a question before we even started and Ken answered right away and answered our question right away too. Then we found that we had the wrong bolts for the boom and he next day shipped them to W1LGU.

When I operate I band hop and mode hop all the time. Being able to go from 20 ssb to 17cw to 20 cw without needing a tuner has me completely spoiled. For years prior I used a Mosley TA-33 and the Navassa-5 completely destroys the TA-33 performance.

You won't be disappointed with this antenna!

W8HC Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2016 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Love the Navassa-5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I installed my JK Navassa-5 (plus 6m add-on) nearly one year ago after downsizing my QTH following my retirement. Being on the top of the DXCC Honor Roll, I had switched my focus on the hobby to DXpeditioning and sacrificed my towers and beams while moving onto a 40-foot by 100-foot city lot. I was looking at options for once again having a gain antenna and some of the local DXers here in the Charleston, WV area had nothing but great things to say about the JK antennas they had installed. I was interested in the Navassa-5 from the outset of its introduction and decided to install one at my QTH utilizing a Glen Martin Engineering 8-foot roofmount tower. I felt like this would serve my needs quite well... and after nearly a year of use, I must say the Navassa has been a very reliable performer. I have added many DXCC Challenge points in the past year and have even enjoyed working 4 new ones with the 6-meter add-on!

The quality and workmanship with the Navassa is first rate... but as I have told others asking me about JK Antennas, it is the support and service by Ken W3JK that sets JK antennas apart from any I have had in the past.

If you are looking for a top quality solid performing, low profile multi-band yagi, look no further than the Navassa-5. You will not be disappointed.... I certainly haven't.

KZ7O Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2016 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Navassa 5 in May 2016 from JK Antennas. Ken, the owner was very helpful with the purchase and offered great recommendations on the installation. I had compared several HF yagis for some time and did lots of study before deciding to buy it, and I am glad I did. I wanted 5 HF bands and I got it.
It takes a while to assemble this antenna so do not plan on putting it together on a Saturday afternoon. There are a lot elements to assemble. It will take 2 hours to do the first element but once you get the hang of it the rest of them go faster.
You need a nice sized space in your yard to put it together also. I mounted the boom on a mast about 8 ft off the ground for the assembly and then could check the SWR when I was finished, just as the manual indicates. I ordered the 6m option and had to modify the length of one of the elements because a new balun had been used for the antenna. I talked with Ken, the owner, about it and he was very appreciative I had this feedback for him. He ended up making a design change to the 6m element per my testing, which is now what you will get.
Once installed, the antenna performed perfectly. The SWR curves were just as the manual indicated and although I have not measured the actual gain, I would say it is higher than the specs indicate. I have a lot of experience with antenna's and am very pleased with this antenna. It is well built and performs wonderfully. It replaced a 2 element quad and it seems to have just as much gain and directivity as the quad had. Look up KZ7O on QRZ and you can see the installation.

ZS6TVB Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2016 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Stunning antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the antenna just before our Christmas holidays in the hope that I will have it in time for our camping trip in the bush in South Africa.

I dealt directly with Ken and ordered my Navassa-5 with the 6m add-on. The antenna was delivered well in time.

The antenna was erected on a trailer with a mast at our campsite. Assembly is well documented with a number of spare screws/bolts in the packets.
Antenna construction is of pristine quality and appears to be of a very robust construction.

Once the antenna was in the air, I started working it. In a period of just over 2 weeks camping, I worked 1283 stations with the antenna real holiday style, relaxing with family and friends during the day and taking to the radio in the evenings.

The Navassa-5 is a superb well built all-bander that works well on al the bands whilst construction quality is of the best I have seen. Antenna size and weight is also good.

In my opinion, one of only a few single band antennas that does (6 - 20m including the WARC bands) , does it well and can stay up there on the mast for extended periods without the need for regular maintenance.

KK4CF Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2015 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Navassa 5 (with 6 meter kit) has been in the air since early July 2015. It is setting about 35 feet in the air and about 20 feet above metal roof on shack. This is best HF beam that we have ever owned. SWR is less than 1.8 at band edges and around 1.4 or less in towards center of bands(except 6 meters). The best on 6 meter is around 1.9 at 50.100 and up from that point. Therefore we do not use it for 6. However, on all other bands it is perfect and a joy to use. Running about 180 watts from a 200 watt rig, rarely do we have to respond more than once to a CQ.

Service from JK is excellent. One Polymide Clamp was shipped incorrectly and a call to JK with the phone being answered by a person, the replacement was on its way. Also received several followup calls later in the week to be sure Clamp had arrived and all was OK.

The Navassa 5 is made to go up the tower easily and is well balanced which makes installing a little less hectic.

Thanks JK for an antenna that needs no tuner or amp on the five major bands along with great service.

KA8SYV Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2015 20:17 Send this review to a friend
A Rugged Yagi-Uda Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After becoming more serious about DXing I wanted to upgrade my antenna farm. My wife and I moved to new QTH with space for a modest tower. My Elmer recommended the JK Navassa 5.

The antenna is small and light but extremely rugged in construction.

When I started listening with the Navassa 5, I was amazed. It truly was a game changer and its cost was more than justified by the results.

I was looking for a reasonably priced, well-built antenna for my first tower and the JK Navassa 5 MORE than met my expectations.

For my next project, I want to increase my DX totals on 30 and 40 meters. My experience with JK antennas ensures I will look at their product line first!

VY 73 DE KA8SYV, Frank in West Virginia