Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Heathkit SB 230 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB 230
Heathkit SB 230 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: 600 Watt Amp with one 8873 Tube ( no Blower ! )

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB 230.

K6KSG Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2003 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the SB-230 for 30 years. It has worked without many problems. The 8.2V zener failed and was replaced. I still have the orginal tube (8873) in the amplifier and still puts out 600 watts. I use CW constantly and only run the amp around 500 watts when I use it.

In the early 70's, I built the whole line that matches the SB-230, everthing except the transceiver, and still use all the equipment in my station.

DL7AOH Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2001 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Temperature display  Time owned: more than 12 months
My SB 230 works flawlessly since 15 years! I inserted a digital LED thermometer behind the red cover - with red numbers it looks great! The sensor is fixed in a small hole in the backplane. If needed (SSTV!) a small and quiet PC fan gives some additional cooling from outside.

Take care when connecting the ALC and PTT to modern solid state rigs! It carries approx. 120 V.

K1DC Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2000 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Small and quiet  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I paid $30 for this used amp that looks like new. Only problem was the 8873 was blown,likely caused by a parasitic that was about to blow the used one I paid $160 for on ebay. Was able to "tame" the devil with a parasitic supressor in the plate circuit. With a cool 500w out on all bands, no blower noise and simple to tune, I've been enjoying my new find for the past six months.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2000 23:40 Send this review to a friend
Not a sound!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess you have to look at this amp for what it is. It is great in that is is completely silent, without a fan. It runs fairly cool, and gives good output. I have 3 of them, and one that I have converted to six meters. The problem of course, if you pop that tube you're outa luck!
It cost more than you will probably pay for the amp.
The red meter lens is like no other piece of ham gear you ever saw. Sure beats cloudy amber!