Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG RT-600 Help

Reviews Summary for LDG RT-600
LDG RT-600 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $449.95
Description: The RT-600 is a 600 watt PEP coax in / coax out remote autotuner designed to be placed near the feedpoint of the antenna. DC powered over the coax by the RC-600 control unit (included).
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG RT-600 .

KQ0J Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2015 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Quirky   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this unit to put at the base of a vertical antenna. Antenna is a 24 ft vertical wire and counterpoise is 32 radials out from a 6'ground rod. Antenna is fed with a 4:1 UNUN, Input is a MFJ-915 RF isolator to 190' of RG-213 to the shack. First tuner I returned as it would never tune the wire but on 1 or 2 bands and blew the 12V 1A fuse that I had in the power cord. Second tuner was a bit better behaved but still quirky - for example if I switch to 15M 21.300 I can never get it to tune, if I go to 21.050 it will tune in a snap and if I move back to 21.300 the solution is fine - under 2:1. It struggles tuning 12M even though the SWR with it off is only 2.4:1. Best operation I have found is that when I first start up, I start tuning at 30M then work down to 10M - it seems to find the matches more quickly and then tune better that way. I have tried it with the MFJ 915 removed, with no UNUN wire direct to the center pin, and with a 1:1 Balun and no difference. I made the antenna 32 feet long and it would only tune 60, 40,30M. LDG tech support was of no help - they told me to change the length of my coax ( wth? ) to try get it to tune better I arrived at 24 feet because 29-25 feet were no luck in matching. Another help was to put a separate 1A supply for just this box and leave it on all the time so it does not lose its memory. I have learned to use it and if the MFJ 600w remote tuner was a better box I would not have kept this unit. The good news is my antenna setup is working great (plenty of DX - works best 30M-15M ) but its a pain in the rear to get the tuner to tune sometimes. I have run up to 300W CW and 400W SSB into it and it seems to handle the power well - nothing noticed. Perhaps this unit is better at matching balanced loads? I really would not recommend it at this price point unless you really need it and can put up with its quirks. If you have any ideas of what my problem is other than the tuner please email me direct!

KB5RU Rating: 0/5 May 30, 2015 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Won't tune 160 and unlocks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this thing to use my 160 ant on 80 and 40 meters and to cover the entire 160 band. It will not tune a resonate 160 ant and un-locks at 200 watts on other bands. LDG tech support emailed me asking why I wanted the tuner since my ant is resonate.

N5MJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2015 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Remote transmatch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The LDG RT-600 arrived in early March from Cheapham.com, and included the RC-600 controller, which has a bias-tee inside to power the remote tuner over the feedline.

Installed the next day at the end of the vertical downlead part of a Carolina Windom-80 OCF dipole. The RT600 has PL-259 input/output connectors, a perfect match for the antenna.

The OCF would measure 2:1 and up at any freq with 70' RG-213 without the RT-600. With it, tuning solutions are 1.4:1 max, most solutions are pretty much flat. The tuner does work well in my installation fom 80-6m, and once it arrives at a tuning solution, it will recall it with the slightest tickle of transmit power.

The station here is a TS-590 driving an AL-80B, with max output north of 600W. Initial tune at a new frequency is done with low power (10w or less), usually the RT600 will arrive at a tuning solution (minimum reflected power) in less than 2 seconds.

Once the RT-600 is happy, it's safe to QRO. There isn't an indication on the RC600 controller that tuning is complete, but a simple check of the SWR meter reveals whether it's tuning (SWR stepping around) or not (stable, low reflected power).

Putting the RT600 at the feedpoint of the antenna eliminates any high current/voltage nodes on the feedline, thus obviating the Kenwood's internal tuner for the OCF.

The RT-600 works FB in this setup. I don't expect any problems. The unit is made in Taiwan (not the PRC), a positive. Cheapham quickly shipped the unit double-boxed with styrofoam peanuts.

Both vendor and RT600 are recommended, two thumbs up.

73 de N5MJ

N4UM Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2015 18:40 Send this review to a friend
A stealthy solution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my new RT-600 this afternoon from AES and had it up and working in short order. It feeds a 23 foot flagpole with a 50 foot top loading wire in an inverted L configuration. I have 100 feet of good quality buried coax feeding the antenna. Power for the tuner is supplied thru the coax by a small controller (RC-600) sitting on the hamshack desk. The controller is included with the RT-600. 12 vdc is required for the RC-600 controller.

My antenna has 50 radials, each about 20 feet long, beneath it. The RT-600 was attached to the flagpole by means of heavy duty cable ties since the clamps supplied by LDG were too small to go around the pole. The RT-600 quickly tuned the little inverted L to a satisfactory SWR on all bands from 80 thru 6 meters. It could not find a decent match on 160 but that was rectified by temporarily inserting a 32 uH loading coil in series at the base of the pole when going on 160.

At present I'm only running 100 watts since my shack is temporarily torn up and my ALS-600 is sitting out in my garage. I can't comment on the RT-600's power handling capabilities but I have no reason not to think that the RT-600 can't handle the 500 watts I normally run when using my amp.

The LDG-RT-600 appears to fill the bill for hams living in antenna restricted communities and others who want to stay “under the radar” with stealthy antennas and still run more than 100 watts.

I will do another review in the future if I have any additional information to include.