Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHA F-LOOP (Chameleon Antenna) Help

Reviews Summary for CHA F-LOOP (Chameleon Antenna)
CHA F-LOOP (Chameleon Antenna) Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $350 to 450
Description: The F-LOOP was designed with weight, durability, portability,
versatility and cost in mind.

The unique craftsmanship of the CHA F-LOOP distinguishes itself from
the competition. The antenna is built to last.

The unit covers everything between 10M to 60M (or 29,700MHz to
5,300MHz) continuously.

A single switch is used to tune the F-LOOP from 10M to 30M or from
40M and 60M.

The F-LOOP can be assembled and operated under 3 minutes.

The unit radiator is made of LMR-400.

The Faraday coupling loop is made of an aluminum bar which is
supported by a proprietary screw together hardline feeder.

Our specially and uniquely designed hardline feeder prevents SWR
fluctuations if the antenna is rotated or moved on itself which greatly
facilitated antenna tuning & operation.

The base of the unit is equipped with an anodized aluminum plate for
tripod assembly and for table top stability.

The F-LOOP antenna is fed from the rear of the unit by a SO-239 with
the provided coax cable.

The provided 12 coax cable is equipped with an integral RFI choke
that will prevent or eliminate any possible RFI problems.

The front panel of the tuning unit is made of a clear piece of
polycarbonate which protects the tuning quadrant indicator.

The unassembled antenna comes into a high quality MOLE tactical bag
for easy carry and storage.

Each side of the tuning unit has been fitted with a custom designed
aluminum L shaped bracket that will be used to hold the optional 36
diameter collapsible aluminum loop radiator.

The optional 36 diameter collapsible loop radiator is made of 1
aluminum pipe. Each joints of the collapsible loop are made of high
tolerance aluminum connectors that minimize RF losses. With that
collapsible loop the F-LOOP will cover 10M to 40M.

The optional 36 diameter collapsible loop radiator greatly increase
antenna radiation by an average of 114%.

Specifications:
Frequency: 10M 60M
Power: 10W CW or 25W SSB
RF Connection: SO-239
Weight: TBA

The antenna system consists of:

1 X CHA F-LOOP Matching Box
1 X LMR-400 Coax Cable
1 X 12' RG58A + Integrated RFI Choke
1 X Coupling Loop
1 X Screw Together Hard-Line
1 X Molle Bag
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHA F-LOOP (Chameleon Antenna).

VA2KK Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2016 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Everything is about expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Chameleon F-loop antenna is like an awesome piece of non weatherized laboratory equipment.
Very well built, but GI Joe wouldn't risk bringing it in the rainy jungle.

Stuck in a condo ? - Don't be misguided by your fantasist expectations.

The term "condo antenna" means "small enough to fit in a restricted volume" without any guaranty of performance, especially if operated INSIDE a concrete condo. (Analogy: a "submersible walkie-talkie" does not perform well under-water).

Another fantasist expectation is a full efficiency of the F-loop across the whole 3.5 to 30MHz range.

While this 36" diameter loop has a 95.8% radiation efficiency at 28.850MHz, do not expect more than 15% at 7.13MHz.
This means that on the 40m band, your 20 Watts in will give you at best 3 watts out.

I took the Chameleon F-Loop out in the garden yesterday. The propag. conditions were bad at my end.

On the 17m band, S57DX (Slavko, 1.5kw) was the only station I could hear 4 by 7 in the noise.
So I didn'have big expectations with the F-Loop at 7 watts.

But suddenly, Slavko picked-up my call and replied: "Only the QRP station please".
From Montreal to Slovenia, 6500 km with a 4 by 4 report. Not bad at all for the conditions !

"Enjoy your QRP" said Slavko in final.

So, my friends, everything is about expectation:
When you stop expecting something to be perfect, you can like it for what it is.(reworded quote)

JP - VA2KK
P.s.: The awaited CHA RT-RR (mini Remote Tuner - Remote Rotator) will definitely increase the operating pleasure.

JH1DIS Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2016 23:14 Send this review to a friend
After 8 months.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After 8 months.
I am using the CHA F-Loop from last year(2015) in May.
then use this antenna at the mountaintop, a field, home.

Setup:
The setup is less than ten minutes(F-LOOP setup is 3 minutes or so).
You can put directly to the camera tripod. Also you can choose a lightweight camera tripod. Useing Quick camera mount adapter. it is more easy setup.
The tuning is very easy and it is smooth.

Out Door:Coax loop
Worked ZL,VK,Russia, China, and Indonesia at the mountaintop and field.
then if hi band condition is not good ,
I am going to move 40m band (NVIS propagation/ 300km ~600km QSO).
F-LOOP fits backpack(perfect).

Home: Aluminum loop
The antenna of 40m was impossible so far in Tokyo downtown area.
So I set up F-LOOP on the second-floor terrace.
*JT65/JT9 mode / 2W~3W, 20 QSO. In case of JT65/JT9 mode, I can go down 0.5~1W.
*RTTY/PSK31/SSB/CW/MFSK16 / 3~5W 10 QSO.

My English is not good. I'm sorry.
Yoshio

VE2EHN Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2016 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Top quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was pleasantly surprised when I received my F-Loop antenna. I was in the military in communications and I recognized the high military type quality in this antenna system. Top of the best. Set up is only minutes and everything is as it should be. On my first CQ, got a reply back with a 59 on my signal. I have an average of 7 out of 10 answer back on my CQ's, cant ask for more. Really appreciate the ease in tuning and directivity changing of the antenna to beam towards the contact for best signal strength possible. A beauty to operate. Top notch 5/5 must try.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2016 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Its been over a year since I got my M-Loop - which was the original magnetic loop from Chameleon. I got the F-Loop about a year ago - I was the first to rate it in March of 2015. Just a followup, Chameleon products function as advertised, are made of high quality materials, and have excellent customer service. The F-Loop has been used at home and in the field and does a great job in antenna challenged circumstances-I've enjoyed it since I got it. 73, John K0FTC

K1VZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2016 06:22 Send this review to a friend
In a word: QUALITY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The minute I opened the box it spelt QUALITY. I like everything about this antenna. Very portable, fits snuggly into the supplied quality bag. The tuner box is very well built with a smooth vernier drive. Cables look like they have never been touched by humans.

Performance surprised me. I was very skeptical about how any miniature loop would perform as I'm from the "more wire you have high up" generation. Though not in a full dipole league the performance from inside my house is outstanding, 1:1 on all bands from 40m to 10m and not a "dummy load" but a performing antenna.

I know this is a very brief review but if you are considering a small loop this is the one.

W7VTR Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm disabled and needed an antenna that would work indoors as well as outdoors. So after reading reviews and talking with Chameleon antennas I bought the CHA F-LOOP Plus and have never looked back. With my Kenwood TS-480SAT it will hear everything that my friends can with much larger antennas (WELL ALMOST). Thank you for all you have done to make this purchase a great one.

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2016 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent construction and performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Chameleon CHA F Loop is my favorite magnetic loop antenna for portable operation. It is very portable, is of excellent construction, is easy to tune, has a tuning box that provides a stable base for sitting on a table as well as a -20 hole for mounting it on a tripod. Replacing the coax loop with the optional collapsible aluminum tube loop greatly improves efficiency, especially on 20-60 meters. The use of the optional double coax loop allows operation on 80 meters. Running 5-10 watts from my KX3, contacts have been made from Arizona to Japan, Australia, and New Zealand as well throughout North and South America with a few contacts in Europe under good band conditions. In addition, Carl provides very prompt and superior service.

W6ARH Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 21:50 Send this review to a friend
great performance vs cost  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Vendor is very responsive and friendly. Impressive performance on HF and well designed.
First use contact was 5/7 between California and Colorado. Easy setup and very convenient portable packaging. I have both the hardline and aluminum loops but haven't evaluated the difference between them. However, I do believe the specs provided. Great product from a quality company.

N5UXI Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 20:03 Send this review to a friend
portable CHA F loop  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna purchased last year in February 2015. It is a well made antenna have listened to 80 meters, yes 8o meters not tx but listening without 80 meter loop it received very well. would recommend to those who live in antenna restricted neighborhoods. great portable antenna.

KI4EZL Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2016 04:09 Send this review to a friend
What more could you want?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna lists has it all. 10 through 60 meters, solid construction, portability, and quality. After studying all of the attributes that this antenna has, I could not have decided on a better choice than the CHA F-LOOP by Chameleon.