Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | AnyTone TERMN-8R Help

Reviews Summary for AnyTone TERMN-8R
AnyTone TERMN-8R Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $$140.00
Description: The most versatile two way radio on the market, certified
for use for commercial, public and amateur frequencies.
The TERMN-8R includes built-in GMRS and MURS modes with
23 GMRS channels and 5 MURS Channels. The TERMN-8R is FCC
Certified for Part 90 and Part 95 usage. The TERMN-8R is
able to Transmit and Receive fully on Narrowband
(12.5kHz).
More info: http://https://anytonetech.com/TERMN-8R

You can write your own review of the AnyTone TERMN-8R.

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2015 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Not bads radio - wish it came back  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own two of these radios. They join my collection of HT's.

I am interested in it to replace my Icom IC-91AD because I travel a lot and need to listen to aviation. In case you didn't know, aviation is in English the world over, and it's great way to pass the time in foreign places.

The radio is no longer for sale in the US. I got my first one through Amazon.com back in May 2015, and the second shipped to Europe. The first one cost me $140; the second close to $200 [shipping included].

As you can see on the internet, they are very clean radios, with very little spurious radiation and cover many bands, including VHF/UHF, Aviation, FM radio, Medium wave and short wave. Just like my Icom IC-91AD I carry around.

It also offers FHSS (an encrypted mode not permitted on the ham bands and I have no idea how to set it up, even with the software!), many types of signalling modes and up to 5 watts output.

It has its issues: The aviation short wave and utility bands are an afterthought [even when you go to them, it's like an optional extra ; the radio reverts to VHF/UHF mode]. You can also not reach 136.275 (because for the radio aviation ends at 136.000MHz), when it should reach 137MHz. Also on one of the radio turning the dial knob, doesn't really move the frequency up much or down; you need to turn it really slow or use the keypad. The other one works fine in this respect.

All in all, am happy with my purchase. I hike often and will put them to the test next month. I always have my trusty 91AD with me in anycase.

The audio connection is Kenwood HT connections. Which is weird since Kenwood has the 2.5mm plug as audio instead of the 3.5mm part (ICOM offers this which enables a user to use same earpiece as an iPhone for example).

Antenna connector is SMA female, the opposite of most Japanese HT's which use a SMA male connector (thus requiring a new set of adapters and antennas).

W8LM Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2015 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Not what other guys said..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
#1. I want to dwell on the negatives regarding AM -SW modes. I had my ICOM 756PRO II on a Windom antenna and the TERMN-8R on a Cushcraft 24ft 5BTV ham vertical. On AM broadcast at 1pm today copied 18 stations. That antenna is not tuned for broadcast either! On HF I looked for SW broadcast on the PRO2 and compared with the TERMN-8R.. 9.370, 9.475, 9.980, 11.775, 11,825 12.160, 13.606. 13.875, 17,790, 17.855 and CB at 27.185 I started tuning the PROII at 40 meters going up. even the S3 proII signals I could hear on the TERMN-8R.. the signal to noise was the same.
I am sure once this rig becomes more popular especially with the preppers, a smart ham will offer a ferrite rod antenna- long wire setup or something to enhance AM-SW use. The antenna that comes with the radio isn't 7 inches. Granted the Yaesu VX3 does have a ferrite bar antenna for AM, but this radio still does more. I've been a ham 49 years and the perfect radio or antenna has not been invented.

#2 I have an antenna adapter that converts to a BNC antenna connection. That makes it fast change. If you're thinking of after market antennas, get the BNC adapter and buy BNC antennas. All styles are available NA-701 NA-771.

#3 ANYTONE TECH support says they will fix the 10kc tuning knob steps ASAP. hopefully they will make it 1-2.5-5-10. I can wish. the work around is direct frequency entry. Those that want SSB and CW- get a Yaesu FT-817 and guess what -- you still need an antenna.

#4You and the preppers will need more than antenna. like solar panel for recharging and even external battery power. Still all in all, this all fits in a ammo can..
Lets compare - My First HT -5 channels crystal control, 1 watt.. Standard SRC-146A.. $277 without rubber duck or batteries. This rig Under $150 and 40 years later..

#5 BTW ordered on a Friday had the radio Monday morning. I did not pay shipping either.

Finally- cross band repeating. someone poo-pooed a reason for it... I will answer that for the non preppers. If the bad guys find the radio, it's not in your hand, it's in your gun site..now do you understand??

Amateur Radio works when all else fails--- except Government. Then what?

K4ECD Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2015 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Good - but not a few issues.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice HT.

Easy to program in the field, good TX/RX on 2m and 440, however ALL of the AM band is worthless. It is deaf on Airband, so even though it says "6 Bands" do not buy this if you are like me and needing Airband reception.

I thinking the better option and value is the sibling: OBLTR-8R.

I have both, and they are both easy to program, work great as VHF/UHF FM HT's and have a good feel in the hand. A step up from my Baofeng.

Summary: Unless you need cross-band repeating, pass on this and get the OBLTR-8R because those extra bands are deaf - even with a quality antenna.

KK7TJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 25, 2015 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Pretty nice radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give this radio high marks for doing all the services (parts 90, 95, 97) in FCC certificated style. It's about time somebody figured that out!

I too wish the x band had more options, however with creative use of the CTCSS (Signal?), TX = OFF, and MUTE, you can accomplish what you want including what Kenwood calls Lock-band.

I don't care for the Orange buttons or Transformers motif, but it is a solid unit. The rubber battery charger jack cover is always coming loose because off its "stratigerly placement convenience".

Odd combinations of button presses vs. Menu functions, but only slightly worse than some others.
Wish it had more memories.

If this radio cost $40 less, it would be perfect.

W8JVF Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2015 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Not bad, but not stellar  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I've had this little gem of a radio now for about a week, and I have to say, it's not all that bad. There's been a LOT of technical reviews done on this radio and its series, but putting the technical aside I have to say I'm questioning my spending of $140.00 for this radio. Let me start off by pointing out the positives, then I'll get to the negatives.

Multi-Function "boot"...

Don't know how else to describe it. Basically you can boot this radio into a few different modes, Normal, GMRS, or MURS. If you have a mixed family (hams and non-hams) or have a GMRS license this would be an excellent tool. Also, if you find yourself in a group (say on a backpacking/camping/hiking type of trip) of mixed raios, you could conceivably talk to everyone in the group. Theoretically. So it is a pretty decent feature.

Scanning Speed....

HUGE improvement over the other chinese radios. If you have over 6 frequencies to scann, you're gonna want that faster scanning speed.

Weather protection...

So it's advertised to have some weather protection, which is there if using all stock equipment. The minute you throw on a speaker mic or a non-stock antenna that weather protection is gone. But usually if you're like me, the reason you're using a speaker mic is because you have the radio protected under your jacket so for me it's not that big a deal. What is a big deal is I can throw this thing in my pack, and if I fall in the mud or the heavens open up it's got a chance of still working.

Antenna...

Yeah... the antenna is a plus. It WORKS... I mean it's got really good receive and seems to hit everything I talk to and on, and doesn't look that bad either. Yes, aesthetics is something people DO look at for a radio.

And now the new feature I like the BEST.... NOAA weather alert.

I like having a radio, and I like having weather alert. I DON'T like carrying around two radios. It's nice to have everything you need in one little package, but not overbearing with all kinds of distractions like a mobile phone. I'm thinking because of the dual receive and the crossbanding, there is a distinct possibility that if transmitting on UHF, the NOAA alert will still go off if you have the menu set right. Looks like I'll have to wait until the first Monday to check it out.

Charging in the car...

NICE... Charging in the car directly to the battery with a cable that has the proper voltage and amps. Just plug it in, plug it into the battery, and BAM... it's good to go. I only wish there was a AC adapter which charged directly into the battery.

OK... Now I have to point out the cons....

Cross-Band Repeater...

Why do people use cross band repeater? Well, from what I've found there's a lot of people that use cross band repeating in one direction. From INSIDE their house to the crossbanding radio then to the repeater they are rag chewing on. They're able to HEAR the repeater, but with a lot of the newer construction wrapping houses in tin foil it's like living in a faraday cage at times. This radio only does TWO way crossband. Really wish there was a way to adjust this. Talk about a radio getting HOT on a rag chew session LOL. I hope this is able to be changed in future firmware upgrades, because without this change the crossband function is really sort of useless to me. (here's where the comments come out about crossbanding is useless anyway) Also, the way to start the crossbanding is a little tricky with the buttons to hold down while turning on the radio.

Battery life...

Average. Don't expect to rag chew all day and/or scan and expect the battery to last more than 6-7 hours. If you're just monitoring and talking occasionally then you're gonna get about 12-14 hours of continuous on. An extended battery would be real nice, but the case design doesn't lend itself to an extended battery.

HF receive....

Ok... so on paper the SW and LW (basically 1.5-30mhz) looks good and seems like a nice feature. There's only one problem. It's AM only, no SSB receive, and there's a HUGE issue with capture with the antenna. Basically there's not enough antenna to catch a good signal. I can barely pick up the "time station" (10.0, 5.0, and 2.5mhz on AM) with this radio. The same thing BOOMS in S-9++ on my FT-857 with long wire, but is burried in noise and static on the TERMN-8R. So basically the HF receive is kinda useless in my humble opinion. Maybe others have had better luck, but it just doesn't seem to have any use for me.

Functional QSO compared to other radios...

Compared to the Wouxun KG-UV8D ($109.00 firmware 1.05) and the Baofeng BF-F8HP ($63.00 + $20.00 extended battery + $10.00 extended faux leather case = $93.00 and the latest firmware from BaofengTech) I'm not sure the extra $30.00 on this radio is worth it. The UV8D is so SOOO easy to switch to repeater, changed channels on the repeater when in repeater mode, and read the screen that it's hard NOT to use it once you go through the menus a few times. Just wish there was a proper case or a screen protector for that screen. For straight QSO's, the Baofeng works like a champ. It's not pretty, not expensive, and isn't feature packed but so far it's built like a tank when I put the extended case on it. Plus, I program all my channels with medium power, then switch to the high power if needed. With extended battery is kicks the AnyTone's butt on battery life.

Bottom Line...

Unless there's a firmware upgrade to work out some of the issues I find as issues, I doubt I would buy another one. Other than the NOAA weather alert I just can't seem to bring myself to shell out the extra 30-40 over the cost of my Baofeng to do all the same things that I normally do with a radio. Also, yes... it is possible to lock out transmit on the NOAA weather channels if you want to monitor them on the Baofeng.

Hopes this helps anyone looking to purchase one!!!! It's nice, but I doubt I will use it to its full potential.

James