Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Sainsonic RST599 Help

Reviews Summary for Sainsonic RST599
Sainsonic RST599 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $130
Description: Dual Band 136-174/400-512 MHZ Handheld
More info: http://www. sainsonic.com

You can write your own review of the Sainsonic RST599.

FORMER_K2OOL Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Neato!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Forget your baofeng this is more fun!
It has different colors on the LCD for receive,transmit and a standby.The FM broadccaat band is ok,not awesome but scan is programmable so 88-108 is doable.It has FM band standby so you dont have to be bored when your pals arent on!The scan is decent you can turn channels on and off via keypad or programming software.The Receive is loud and clear and so far I am digging it.It has a flashlight and a nice feel to the radio.Pictures dont do it justice in my opinion.And for around 70 bucks you have a nice radio!It does have a backwards recessed SMA connector so getting my RH-77ca to look good on this may be a challenge.Hey its a Sainsonic,I liked the other radio they made for Baofeng the GT-3 but this one is nicer.

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2015 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Need some improvement on this Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought from Radioddity, which might be related with SainSonic, I guess. Whatever,it needs some operation to expand the frequencies into 520mhz. All in all, this rst599 still need something improved. Also here is some instruction to expand the frequencies for everyone who bought it or will buy it.

W1OSH Rating: 0/5 Mar 28, 2015 10:40 Send this review to a friend
A Real Disappointment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a weather proof handheld when I saw news release on Sainsonic RST599 in December 2014. I ordered one two weeks ago. The radio arrived with a firmware problem which prevented manual programming the radio. I download manuafacturer's programming software from their website and attempted to program the radio. In order to expand frequency range from 480 to 512 MHZ, there is an adjustment function which requires a password which is located on manufacturer's website. To remove the factory preprogrammed frequencies, I did a factory reset from factory provided software and radio's menu system changed from English to Chinese. I was not able to restore radio's menu to English again.

cn addition, I contaced manufacturer after purchasing radio to find out here are no spare batteries or accessories currently available.

I did some testing and while radio appears to function within published specifieications, lack of product support has caused me to request a return authorization for a refund.

I have been in the commercial radio business for 40 years and I was very disappointed this product was released before the bugs where worked out. Meanwhile, I still have my Yaesu FT-60R and Baofeng UV-82L which have their own quirks I can live with.