Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BaoFeng GT-3TP Mark III Tri-Power 1/4/8W Help

Reviews Summary for BaoFeng GT-3TP Mark III Tri-Power 1/4/8W
BaoFeng GT-3TP Mark III Tri-Power 1/4/8W Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $62.99
Description: 23CM High Gain Antenna allows GT-3 Mark II to transmit in 8KM.
Optimal SQL Setting
Optimal Modulation of TX/RX Power Tube, True 8W Output Power, Longer Effective Talking Range
Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow), High power / low (5W/1W), selectable.
Selectable Frequency Step/2.5/5/6.25/10/12.5/25 kHz.
Function Busy Channel Lock "BCLO".
Function "VOX" (Voice Operated Transmission), "OFFSET" (frequency offset for repeater access).
More info: http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng-gt-3tp-mark-iii-two-way-radio-dual-band-uhf-vhf-136-174-400-520mhz-tri-power-1-4-8w.html

You can write your own review of the BaoFeng GT-3TP Mark III Tri-Power 1/4/8W.

JOHNR Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2016 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice little dual band radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this on sale for $37 at Radioddity and glad I did as it is a really nice radio. Right out of the box I charged the extended battery and then did some wattage readings here are my findings:

146.000MHz H: 8W M: 7W L: 1.5W .......... 446.000MHz H: 6.8W M: 5.3W L: 1.4W

The quality of the radio and antenna are very good, radio works as it should and have not had any problems. In fact I really like the INF-641 antenna it's not too long and very flexible and the RX/TX seems excellent. The package deal I bought came with the extended battery (labeled as a 3800mAh).

All in all it is a very solid radio and I would recommend it. The only con I have is the PTT is pretty easily pressed so it might get bumped from time to time. I might take it apart and see about modding the internal switch.

It is programmable through Chirp you choose the Baofeng BF-F8HP model and then read the radio.

WW2K Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2016 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Good but with a few programming struggles to overcome   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before you read further, I really like this radio. It feels good in the hand and mostly looks good. (other than the chrome volume knob)

Programming... Many reviews say that this can be done with Chirp. Yes... and No. I would give it a 5 of 5 if some of the chirp bugs were fixed. Perhaps it will get there in time? Here is what I had to do.

1. Reset all from the menu button.
2. When I received this radio I then had to go to the sainsonic web page and download their programming software.
3. connect radio to computer and upload image of the radio.
4. find the control that allows the radio to transmit below 480 MHZ. Also a couple of other settings there that are in line with which frequencies that you plan to transmit on.
5. Once done... Then upload changes back to the radio.

6. Then over to the Chirp program. In chirp, upload the image from the GT3-tp,

7. then manually enter your memory channels into chirp or copy and paste your desired memories from a proven list. (perhaps from your previous uv5r's) then save to computer.

8. then upload to the gt3-tp.

Once this was done, I then had a new GT3-tp that would receive on all of the memory channels but it wouldn't bring up a single repeater! After 5,000 attempts at reloading with no success, I finally stumbled on to something that may be the fix...

Here is the fix....

9. My memory channels were all set to show the alphanumeric name rather than the frequency. Once the memories are in your handheld radio, then go to the menu button (on the radio itself) and find the menu to change the display back to show the "frequency" in the memories rather than the name....

(Temporarily change it to show memory frequencies)

WhaaaLaaa! It now works! That doesn't make sense but for some reason it allowed the radio to Finally understand that it was supposed to actually transmit the sub-tones and open the repeaters.

10. THEN you can change it back to showing the Names from the menu button and it should still work.

It is possible that there is some other explanation for why my fix written above did the trick... but I wanted to share this with you in hopes that this just might save you the 5 hours of hair pulling that I went through.

To close... My gt3-tp now works like it is supposed to, and I'm thrilled to finally have it programmed.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has the same experience, and If so, what they think the fix is. 73s

ww2k

ww2k@live.com

P.S.
Waterproof? Advertised as dust proof and waterproof however... this unit is NOT submersible! It will take a good rain but I wouldn't drop it in the creek if I were you. Water can enter at the top, the external mic holes and at the mic hole when submersed.

K4PQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2015 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad CCR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 10 pack of these knowing that I'd probably have a dud or two. (It's really not that wise buying CCR's in a multi-pack because vendors usually want you to send all the radios back if one's a dud. You might save a few bucks buying in bulk though.)

Only two had issues but not so bad that I can't use them somehow. One didn't accept programming via the cable, and one had a faulty flashlight.

Anyway, based on all the other Baofengs I've owned and played with, I'd say this is as good as the UV-82, and maybe a bit better on audio, but doesn't look as professional. I'm not a big fan of the toy-look of the UV-5r and this GT3 series looks kinda like that, but I do like the manly utilitarian yellow (like a Fluke) and the build feels more rugged and solid (like a Fluke). My really big beef is with that ungodly volume knob. It not only is a weirdly bejeweled monstrosity with a cheap plastic chrome feel, it has a rubber grip banded around it that serves no purpose other than to emulate the Yaesu VX series, which has a push pull function. Because the volume pot is so loose and easy to turn, the rubber will rub on your shirt or jacket, changing your volume. I am absolutely clueless as to why some Chinese engineer would think that this is what Americans want. Maybe it's the same dude that designed those Lucky Cats with the weird eyes, and also decided that LED flashlights should have an SOS setting.

Anyway, the fix is to replace that lapse in engineering judgment with the knob that goes on the UV-82. It looks like it's made for the GT3 radios - very professional. ($2.50 at 409shop. I ordered 20 so that I could provide them to others who don't want to wait 2 months for a Chinese shipment. Let me know. I'll put a note on my QRZ page when I run out.).

So, what about the extra wattage? I didn't expect it to make much of a difference, but you know what? I see a big expansion of the coverage area. Last Summer I used a bunch of 82's on UHF to provide communications for farming operations, and there were some fringe areas. I visited those fringe areas again with this radio, and it wasn't fringe at all and we were able to go about a mile further before things got fuzzy. (BTW, I used the same after-market antennas for the tests) So, I'm seeing a much more solid connection with these.

The audio is MUCH better too, especially on TX. Sounds like a bigger mic with more processing or something. The 82's had little mic holes that I'd drill out to get them to sound louder, but that didn't help much.

I don't know why CCR's have such terrible drop in charger bases. It's almost like it's a requirement. Putting this radio in the charger is not a one-handed operation, but I can tell they're working on making these bases fit better. I like it that there's a car adapter for these bases, but it's weird having a charger base in your pickup or car. It bounces around and the radio is, of course, top heavy. If Sainsonic hired me to oversee their radio designs and development, I'd do it. They could double their sales.

I haven't tried out the new antenna that they include, but it seems to be well built. The base is hard plastic and the whip is flexible. Seems like it could be irritating to your love handles, and I suspect the whip could be deformed at the transition near the base if it bent too much. The NA-771 has extra coating on the lower whip that feels more rugged. If you have an expansive muffin top, I'd suggest you stick with a rubber duck that is centered around your frequency usage.

Bottom line: I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these as a first rig or even as a spare. My Yaesu and Icom HT's don't perform much better, and, as a matter of fact, these Baofengs are my go-to radios to wear around the farm.

5 stars for cost-to-"what you get" ratio.

73- K4PQ

BG6NIC Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2015 23:05 Send this review to a friend
New Upgrade!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Packaging showed the radio as a Mk II model. When I powered the radio the display indicated it was a Mk III model. I proceeded to charge the battery. I was able to program the radio with just a small learning curve with the software and advice from some You Tube videos of other users.I also put the Nagoya 771 antenna on it to help. I also have a Mark II and the display is different or in reverse. I received good signal quality reports on a local FM ham repeater. This radio offers a great deal of listening options and transmitting features. Still have a bunch to learn but should be fun. The only issue I had was the foam cushion for the ear piece which was difficult to install and eventully tore during my attemps to attach it. It can reach 8watt power on some frequencies not all frequencies.