Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Goal Zero Yeti 400 w. Boulder 30 solar panels Help

Reviews Summary for Goal Zero Yeti 400 w. Boulder 30 solar panels
Goal Zero Yeti 400 w. Boulder 30 solar panels Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $459
Description: Integrated solar/battery/inverter system. Includes many different input and
output options.
More info: http://www.goalzero.com

You can write your own review of the Goal Zero Yeti 400 w. Boulder 30 solar panels.

K0JEG Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2015 19:56 Send this review to a friend
Expensive but good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using Goal Zero products for a few years now, starting with the Extreme 350 and a single solar panel. I've since upgraded to the Yeti 400 and added a few more panels. The nice thing about the Goal Zero products is that they mostly work together. The Extreme 350 and Yeti 400 can be chained together with Andersen Powerpole connectors, and you can power your rig and other Powerpole devices directly. The Powerpoles are fused at 30A, internally (they don't mention that in the manual). I have 4 of the Boulder 30 panels, which can be daisy chained together to produce up to 120 watts (although reality is much lower unless you constantly tend to them). This is enough of a charge to keep a radio going all day and a good chunk of the night as well. The full sine wave inverter on the Yeti 400 is fairly quiet, but skip the modified sine wave inverter on the Extreme 350. The Yeti 400 also will charge USB devices, has a 12VDC cigarette lighter plug and connections for Goal Zero's LED lights.

When the Yeti 400 was released I was an "early adopter" and I think I paid the price. Curious to see exactly what sort of battery is running the unit, I opened it up. On inspection I discovered that the battery connections were very lose and could have easily overheated in a high current situation. Several others complained that their units were DOA, which might be related. However after a quick go with a torque wrench things have been fine since.

If I were starting out fresh today I'd go with lithium iron phosphate batteries, but for now these are a very good way to run a shack from a tent or park bench. I also like that it is an integrated system. I've built solar systems piecemeal and it is so much nicer to just have all parts you need in one system.