Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-500T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-500T
Alinco DJ-500T Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $130
Description: 144MHz/430MHz FM semi-duplex dualband 5W transceiver. IP54 sealed. 1000mW audio. Wide/narrow tx/rx. 200 memories. VOX.
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-500/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-500T.

N8KIM Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2015 16:33 Send this review to a friend
A good choice  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So far it's all pros for this radio, try D ft-60r first and had problems so I tried this one and it seems to be working perfectly, well almost. I do need a louder receive audio in my noisy environment at work if I turn this radio all the way up the receive is slightly distorted making it unusable had that volume. But that's the only bad thing I can say about it. The price is great it's built well battery lasts a very long time nicer drop in charger then others I've tried. Very happy with my purchase good luck.

KK4WEY Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2015 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my second HT, my first one was a Baofeng. I was able to program this HT manually which I loved. My audio reports have been excellent. It looks well made, and the backlit keys are great. If your looking for an affordable HT, look no further.

WB5LFV Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2015 07:51 Send this review to a friend
excellent high quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well first off the review below me says it was made in china not so look on the box it was made in japan! plus this is a high quality radio with a super hot receiver. mine hears a 440 machine 60 miles away on the stock duck antenna setting in the house. it has very high quality transmit audio and the receive is very pleasant to listen too. the fm broadcast has very nice tonal audio quality coming out of the speaker, and the programming isn't hard. plus I have the rt systems software but really isn't needed,just a nice edition to have if you want it. everything is user friendly and I enjoy listening to this radio as it sounds very professional. all in all a great radio and well worth the money! plus it is rainproof,shockproof,built tough!! get one and see for yourself!

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2015 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the DJ-500 for almost 2 months and I think it is a very good ht, especially for the price. The build quality seems solid and the xmit/receive characteristics are also hi-q.

It has a good feel in the hand, is easy to program and understand, though the manual/instruction is rather poor. But if you know your way around hts, you'll be ok. A newcomer might have difficulty with the manual and should consult an Elmer on programming.

I could be wrong, but I believe this radio is from China. The reverse sma arrangement and the bottom part of the supplied rubber duck antenna getting warm on high power is what makes me think this.

So, first, replace the duck with a better quality one, making sure to get the female sma on the antenna. I got an adaptor to use a bnc antenna and put my Larson dual bander on it, but there are good alternatives for less money. Most hts come with a marginal antenna so this is nothing new.

Having the drop in charger come with the unit is a plus. Many brands will make you buy the drop in charger at a steep cost. The extra batteries, should you want one, are reasonable too.

Despite some of the negatives, I feel, so far, this is a quality dual gander at a low price and most would like it. How it holds up is something I'll have to judge over time.

Thanks for reading. Joe - w2di

NE4W Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2015 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Great value dualband HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am liking this little radio! I was looking for a dual band, weather resistant radio that wouldn't break the bank, and I'm glad I found this one. I bought an additional 1700mAh battery for it and it goes on and on and on... The radio is supplied with a drop-in charge cradle, and it is capable of charging batteries while detached from the radio. Construction seems solid; the knobs on top have a high-quality, "resistive" feel to them - not flimsy feeling at all. The keypad is backlit. One of the most appreciated features is the powerful audio output - what a refreshing change to have plenty of audio when you need it. I ordered a programming cable (FTDI chip, ERW-7) from ebay, and use it along with the free Alinco software for programming. If the unit had more memories, I would rate it a "5" for being such a good value.