Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | FX-4a HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for FX-4a HF Transceiver
FX-4a HF Transceiver Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $395
Description: 4 bands (40, 30, 20, 17m) QRP (5W+) Transceiver.
SSB and CW. Small and handy.
More info: http://www.lnrprecision.com/transceivers/

You can write your own review of the FX-4a HF Transceiver.

WB3BIQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2016 05:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the fx-4a for several months now. This little palm-size, four-band CW/SSB transceiver is really amazing! It is rated at five watts output. Mine gets ten watts out on CW and SSB when measured with my accurate OHR wattmeter. It is the smallest SSB transceiver that can actually be held in the palm of your hand. I power mine with one of those inexpensive 12.4 volt Chinese Li-Po battery packs velcroed to the back. (They cost less than ten bucks with charger on Ebay.) I also velcroed a tiny one-watt boom cube to the top for a complete hand-held transceiver.

I had an initial disappointment with this transceiver in regard to low transmit audio--an email to Larry at LNR and several posts here on eham solved this immediately and quickly. Larry emailed me a pictorial of the PCB's showing me where the MIC GAIN trimmer is located. By advancing this trimmer cap 1/4 to 1/2 clockwise gives more transmit audio than one could ever need. ( if you check out my profuse QRZ.COM webpage and scroll down to the FX-4A part, I show this pictorial and the location of the trimmer.)

I have posted two video clips of this transceiver on YouTube-- the first one shows the FX-4A in several CW QSO's. Here is the YouTube link to the CW one:

The second one shows the FX-4A in a two-way 40-meter USB QSO. Here is a link to the SSB one:

The FX-4A has very crisp, pure audio that is very pleasing to listen to. The transmit audio is the same. I like the dual VFO feature also. I use VFO A for CW and VFO B for the SSB portion of each band.

This is an amazing little four-band transceiver. It is built like a brick. I hope this review helps you out if you are considering a very small dual-mode transceiver. 73's and enjoy the videos from Rick, W B 3 B I Q.

W8MQW Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2015 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Really robust  Time owned: months
Used it for several days now. Selectivity is quite sharp. Calibration is excellent. Received audio is clean and pleasant but AGC action is of low authority. You must ride the volume---sudden strong signals will distort unless volume is quickly backed off. I read 11 watts out on CW on an LP-100. The fixed mic gain is insufficient with supplied hand mike. There appears to be no way to go to a memory channel and then tune nearby or to copy memory into vfo. Online manuals are not up to date: for instance, tapping the VOL/WPM has been replaced by tapping the tuning knob. Why did LNR use a 2.5mm coaxial power plug instead of the standard 2.1?

This radio is a tank; no worry about travel damage.

NU6I Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2015 21:14 Send this review to a friend
update: great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
having used it now more extensively it is time for an update.
I tried with an original Yaesu speaker/mike and the modulation level was better but still not enough. An email
to Larry he explained where the mike gain trimmer potentiometer was inside the radio. The construction is
very professional and sturdy.
After adjusting the mike gain I now have a good modulation.
On the air reports are better with the Yaesu mike than with the original one. It might be because I don't have a loud voice.
Overall an outstanding little radio ideal to throw in the brief case for travelling or for lunch break at the park.
Worth every penny.